Host-only adapter not working under Windows7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dmastag

Re: Host-only adapter not working under Windows7

Post by dmastag »

bellbush wrote:I had the same issue with Windows 10 1511

In the end I was able to solve it by changing the network adapter settings in the windows control panel.
There was a unchecked option named VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Network Driver.
After checking the checkbox and hitting OK, the (vagrant) VirtualBox started again.
Elaborate Ruse wrote:I encountered a Windows 10 Pro x64 machine that was working with VirtualBox 5.0.x (less than .10). After a recent Windows Update, the Host Only adapters no longer appeared in Network and Sharing Center's Adapter Settings, nor did they appear in VirtualBox Preferences > Network > Host-Only Adapters. Upgrading to 5.0.12 and a full reinstall did not help. As mentioned by other commenters, going to Properties on the Host-Only Adapter in Adapter Settings, checking the box for VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver and clicking OK fixed the problem. Thanks for the help! Sorry I do not have details on the particular old version of VirtualBox or the Windows Update(s) that was/were applied because the machine is not mine.
Thanks to bellbush and Elaborate Ruse.

I had encountered the same problem for genymotion. I do recall that this happened after a Windows 10 update but it is working now after checking VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Network Driver.
davemidd

Post by davemidd »

In the end I was able to solve it by changing the network adapter settings in the windows control panel.
After checking the checkbox and hitting OK, the (vagrant) VirtualBox started again.
Just signed up to say thanks for this info. Wish I'd have found this 4 hours ago! :)
Proxenus

Post by Proxenus »

I have found this issue some times and the fix is quite straighforward in those scenarios.
The root cause seems to be the Host-only adapter uses NDIS5 in VirtualBox 4.x and NDIS6 in VirtualBox 5.x

This issue happens when the VirtualBox is being upgraded from 4.x to 5.x. The host-only adapter pointed by the tool after the upgrade is the same as before.

There are diferent alternative workarrounds.

1- Export machines, unistall, wipe out the temporal files, reinstall, import the machines.
This solution is time consuming and doesnt scale well.

2- The one that I use is.
1- After upgrading to 5.x
2- File > Preferences > Net
3- Select host - only network
4- Create a New one (it shall appear with a #2 at the end of the name).
5- Select your VM, Configuration > net
6- Select the new "Virtual Host Adapter #2"
ElBenco

Post by ElBenco »

THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!

PS: just made an account to THANK YOU! :)
rakamine

Post by rakamine »

Thanks for the tips.

In my case I didn't have a "NDIS..." in the connection "Items List"...
So I had to manually install it.
I did the follwing from the "VirtualBox Host-Only Network Properties":
1-Install.. button
2-Choose "Service" then Add...
3-Have Disk... the choose the file VBoxNetLwf.inf from "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netlwf\VBoxNetLwf.inf"

After installing the service "VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver" my Oracle Linux Virtual Machine started fine.
I am using Windows 10 and VirtualBox 5.014
Cheers
Gautam4u

Post by Gautam4u »

Thanks Bellbush, this helped with quick resolution

markl17

Post by markl17 »

in my version of win 10 pro threisnt even such driver
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

It is possible, If I remember right, that one can install Virtualbox without the Bridged Networking driver. Try running your install again, run it by right-click-Run-As-Administrator, & pay careful attention to what features are unchecked.