[Solved] seamless mode is grayed out & not available

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [Solved] seamless mode is grayed out & not available

Post by mpack »

Well why not just cut to chase and install the GAs again? Just make sure you actually install them and not just mount the CD - and don't confuse the GAs with the extension pack. If you have further questions then post a VM log file: with the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
@mpack
Don, with all due respect, here may not be the place to attach the log. You'll understand what I mean in the next sentence.

@ggdogg
You replied to a year-old thread that was already marked as [Solved]. At the same time you replied to a different thread, describing the exact same problem, albeit the thread was fresh. That can be considered cross-posting.

So, please, let's continue this discussion where it should continue. But only in one place, OK? I'd say to leave this thread and continue on the most recent one. I would have merged your two discussions, but they're too many messages by now.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mangodjango

Post by mangodjango »

I had the same issue with a Fedora 27 VM and this is how I solved it:

1. Install VBoxGuestAdditions - during installation it was reported that my image did not have gcc make perl and kernel hearders needed to compile the GuestAdditions. I used yum install to install these, the error also mentioned which kernel package needed to be installed
2. Re-started the VM

Seamless mode became visible and started to work