Installing 5.0.4 on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Installing 5.0.4 on Windows 10

Post by loukingjr »

Glad it's working for you. I never had the NAT/Bridged issue since the day I upgraded my Windows 8.1 box to Windows 10. You may be on to something as far as running the VirtualBox installer as administrator. It's shouldn't matter but I've always installed it that way since I first bought the Windows machine. I think people forget between the complexities of hardware and software something that works for most doesn't work for everyone and it can be very difficult to track down.

Many people who upgraded to Windows 10 "in place" ran into problems. I had none. One never knows.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mfelker
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Multiple

Post by mfelker »

Actually the Download page for VB 5.00-5.02 did contain a notice that Windows 10 had issues both with a host and guest. And indeed I postponed installing it until 5.0.4 arrived with no such disclaimer. Worked as it should in both cases - networking problems completely resolved.
nickcodefresh

Post by nickcodefresh »

I tried uninstalling any previous versions, cleaning the registry, using locate32 to remove any file references, disabling my virus scanner, but still have had no joy installing with networking support. If you elect not to install networking when you first install VirtualBox, you aren't given the option to install it if you rerun the installer.
Dara79

Post by Dara79 »

Still not working :( new windows 10, same error message and rollback.. have to install vmware player :(

tried with: VirtualBox-5.0.2-102096-Win.exe, VirtualBox-5.0.4-102546-Win.exe, VirtualBox-5.0.5-102780-Win.exe

Are Oracle looking in to this ?

BR
Daniel
Mr-Marciano

Post by Mr-Marciano »

I apologize for the terrible English (google translator) .
I have observed that when installing VM on computers Realtek network card there is no problem . On computers with a network card Broadcom NetXtreme the installation does not complete.
Potter76

Post by Potter76 »

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had VirtualBox version 4.3.10 installed on Windows 7 which kept working when I upgraded to Windows 10 but for some reason I am able to install version 5.0.4 or any version for that matter because I keep getting a the error message "Failed to create extraction path 'C:\Users\DAVIDT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VirtualBox': VERR_AlREADY_EXISTS". How do I solve this problem? I already tried uninstalling version 4.3.10 and the error still came up. I tried looking for files the uninstall process didn't delete but the only thing it left was the network device driver it had installed. Could that cause this issue?