No bridged mode with 5.0.4 on Windows 7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hugen13

No bridged mode with 5.0.4 on Windows 7

Post by hugen13 »

Mod Edit: Possible workaround here - Do not post until you have tried it.
-----------------------------------------

Hi,

updated from 5.0.2 to 5.0.4 today. Running on Windows 7 with Ubuntu and Debian servers as guests. Bridged mode does not work anymore. Guest gets IP over DHCP but no ping possible from host, no services (apache, ssh) available. Back to 5.0.2, everything is working again. Nothing changed on guest systems.

Uninstall 5.0.2 first and install 5.0.4 does not solve the problem.

Anton

Edit: Added 'Windows 7' to subject.
Last edited by hugen13 on 10. Sep 2015, 08:28, edited 2 times in total.
OliverOne
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: All Windows

Re: No bridged mode on 5.0.4

Post by OliverOne »

I found a similar problem! All guests (Windows or Linux) do not access to the Host PC. Downgraded also to the 5.02.
phansen

Post by phansen »

I had the same problem. After downgrading back to 5.0.2 it is working as normal.
Giusi

Post by Giusi »

hugen13 wrote:Hi,

updated from 5.0.2 to 5.0.4 today. Running on Windows 7 with Ubuntu and Debian servers as guests. Bridged mode does not work anymore. Guest gets IP over DHCP but no ping possible from host, no services (apache, ssh) available. Back to 5.0.2, everything is working again. Nothing changed on guest systems.

Uninstall 5.0.2 first and install 5.0.4 does not solve the problem.

Anton
bridge network is the main issue in win 10 host with vbox
not yet solved
cause the win 10 is not in the s.o officially supported yet
see the user manual
EspenC

Post by EspenC »

As you can see, he's not running on a Windows 10 host, he's running on a Windows 7 host and Windows 7 is a supported host OS.
I can confirm that I have the exact same issue on my Windows 8.1 host, running different Linux guests (Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora).
I see the exact same as posted above, the guest OS will get IP from DHCP and correct IP addresses, but from the host, I can not ping the guests.
This happens both when upgrading 5.0.2 to 5.0.4 and if I first uninstall 5.0.2 and then install 5.0.4 after reboot.

Uninstalling Virtual Box 5.0.4 and installing 5.0.2 fixes it.
LastWord
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP (64 bit), Kubuntu (64 bit)

Post by LastWord »

I confirm breaking of networking on all of my guest systems on Windows 7 (x64) host after upgrading from 5.0.2 to 5.0.4.

When I started Kubuntu or Winows XP x64 guests, which were previously working with network bridging, I got error messages regarding non-availability of my physical network adapters.

I have three physical network adapters on Windows 7 (x64) host and immediately after upgrading from 5.0.2 to 5.0.4 my VirtualBox found none of them in my VirtualBox guest configurations.

I tried to reinstal (repair) VirtualBox 5.0.4, rebooted my Windows 7 (x64) host and then one of my three physical network adapters ("Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC" as shown in Control Panel of my host system) appeared in my VirtualBox in guest configurations.

The two others (both are "Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection") are still missing from my VirtualBox in guest configurations, but are available and working fine in my host system.
Last edited by LastWord on 9. Sep 2015, 23:29, edited 2 times in total.
KarenK

Post by KarenK »

Having the same problem as well, I'm very much a novice to try and solve such issues and have been working on it all day. Finally came upon this forum.

I have a Windows 7 64bit host and the guests are all WXP 32bit. The set up has literally worked for years until today after the upgrade.

I switched back to 4.3 and everything is working perfect again.
freezer

Re: No bridged mode with 5.0.4 on Windows 7

Post by freezer »

I can confirm the same behavior. Upgraded to 5.0.4 and lost network connectivity between my host (Win7 x64) and my clients (multiple different versions of Windows). Downgrade to 5.0.2 fixed the problem, my networking is working as expected again. I'm glad I found this thread, at least others can confirm the same issue and I'm not seeing some random problem.
enzo1982

Post by enzo1982 »

I can confirm this issue and add some more details:

While the host and guest cannot reach each other on the network, both can reach any other devices. For example, I can ping my router and my mobile phone from a guest.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

I have the same problem. 5.0.0 worked fine yesterday. today upgraded to 5.0.4.

Host: Win7 64bit. Guest: any.

Guest gets can get out just fine but you can't ping it or access any ports from the host.

One more thing. I found "Unknown device" under Other devices in my host's device manager. It may have been there all along and is unrelated to this problem, idk.

Update: The "Unknown device" that I mentioned above isn't related.
Legorol

Post by Legorol »

Possibly same as this bug:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14457

Possibly duplicate of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69597
David Yin
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Centos

Post by David Yin »

I have same issue.

The bridged mode get an IP.

Bet it is very slow in SSH connection.

Host: Win 7
Guest: Ubuntu 14.04
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

For those affected by this issue, the quick fix (until the issue is resolved) is to force VirtualBox 5.0.x to install with the NDIS5 driver:

1. Uninstall VirtualBox
2. Reinstall Virtualbox using the following command:

Code: Select all

VirtualBox-x.x.x-yyyyy-Win.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5
Only post here again if it did not solve your issue.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
BoldyBoddinton

Post by BoldyBoddinton »

I already made a thread about this, but Im using windows 10. to get bridge mode working, open your VM then goto host network properties and untick/tick IPv6 once or twice and select OK, everythig works till next reboot, rinse and repeat.
BoldyBoddinton

Post by BoldyBoddinton »

@Noteirak
For me (windows 10) your solution prevented VM's from opening altogether with a error about network.