Upgrade to 64 bit while running 32 bit virtual machines

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
uranusandneptune

Upgrade to 64 bit while running 32 bit virtual machines

Post by uranusandneptune »

I apologize if this question sounds redundant, but I could not find a straight answer. I am currently running Oracle VM version 4.3.30, and all my virtual linux machines are 32 bit. If I upgrade to version 5, the 64 bit version, then will I still be able to run my 32 bit machines no problem? My computer is Windows 8.1 by the way.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Upgrade to 64 bit while running 32 bit virtual machines

Post by Perryg »

Shouldn't be a problem. You just need to make sure that you move/add them properly.

How to move guests created with => version 4.*
uranusandneptune

One of my machines is a work space I cannot afford to lose at this time to compatibility issues. I need to upgrade however because I need to install another machine and it needs to be 64 bit. So just for the sake of clarification I upgrade Oracle VM from version 4.3 to 5. I then make sure my machines are recognized, which they should be automatically; otherwise, ill just change the path location. And then, despite that my machines are 32 bit operating systems, they will run normally. Is that correct?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Yes, but if this is mission critical I would stay with 4.3.30 for a while longer. I never suggest moving up to a *.0 release on mission critical machines.

32-bit should never be a problem it is 64-bit guests that is hard if the host is 32-bit.
uranusandneptune

Thank you very much. This has been very helpful.