Usb Device Busy

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ShadowZ

Usb Device Busy

Post by ShadowZ »

I purchased a TP-Link TL-WN722N Network Adapter for Kali Linux in VitualBox. I know this device is compatible with Kali Linux because I have seen people use it with Kali before. I have tried making multiple filters ect. I have tried uninstalling the drivers on my host system, my guest does have access to usb ports, when I boot to Kali, the Select Usb option in the VirtualBox says "Not Attached", so when I choose that device on the select device list I get an error saying that It's busy, it is not active in the Host so I don't know where it could be Busy at. Any help or tips would be appreciated.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Usb Device Busy

Post by Martin »

Did you try attaching the adapter after the guest is already active?
ShadowZ

Post by ShadowZ »

Martin wrote:Did you try attaching the adapter after the guest is already active?
Yes, I have tried inserting it while my VM is on the Kali Linux Desktop. The USB icon in the corner just flashes green (never red) for a little but if you hover your mouse over it it says "Not Attached" and when you try to select the device I get the error message saying it's busy.
ShadowZ

Post by ShadowZ »

BTW, My host is Windows 7 and on insert of the device my host plays the little da dun sound when followed by the sound of it being ejected, it does not show up in my Windows host list of attached devices so I know windows is not using it.
Last edited by ShadowZ on 27. Aug 2015, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

With the VM fully shut down, right click it the GUI. Select "Show Log" (ONLY) and save "VBox.log" to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
ShadowZ

Post by ShadowZ »

mpack wrote:With the VM fully shut down, right click it the GUI. Select "Show Log" (ONLY) and save "VBox.log" to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ah. OS X host. At this point I bow out and leave you to the OS X people. Also moving this topic there.
ShadowZ

Post by ShadowZ »

mpack wrote:Ah. OS X host. At this point I bow out and leave you to the OS X people. Also moving this topic there.
No I use windows, I sent the file form my mac by dropboxing it from my Windows PC to my Mac I do not use a mac host.
I only used my mac becuase my windows PC is too slow overall to upload anything.
ShadowZ

Post by ShadowZ »

But if you want me to upload it straight from my PC then I willSo please take this topic out of OS X hosts.
(BTW one line form the log even says 00:00:05.879097 OS Product: Windows 7)
ShadowZ

Post by ShadowZ »

Sent from my PC
Attachments
Kali Linux Logs.zip
(18.86 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ok, moving to Windows Hosts.

You might find the following post of use: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=55483#p255997
ShadowZ

Post by ShadowZ »

mpack wrote:Ok, moving to Windows Hosts.

You might find the following post of use
I just tried it with a blank filter and a custom filter, I never receive a message that VBox captured it on my host system, how ever it does show up in Devices-Usb if you hover your mouse over it, it says State captured, But there is no green circle by the USB icon, and when selecting it form the menu I still get Usb Device is busy with a previous request. Any more ideas?
ShadowZ

Post by ShadowZ »

After reading some posts I have to ask am I supposed to have a Virtualbox USB driver?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

ShadowZ wrote:I just tried it with a blank filter and a custom filter, I never receive a message that VBox captured it on my host system... Any more ideas?
I don't think I need more ideas, since I'm pretty sure I dealt with that issue in the linked post. In bright red letters no less.

VirtualBox needs to be installed for the correct user, and using "Run as administrator" to ensure that drivers are installed. Also Google for "Driver Signature Enforcement" and make sure that your host is configured to at least prompt you when it is unsure about the certification of a driver.