cannot ping host <--> VMs after upgrade to VirtualBox 5.0.x

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
qd01a

cannot ping host <--> VMs after upgrade to VirtualBox 5.0.x

Post by qd01a »

I had a Windows 7 box running VirtualBox 4.3.15 with a Linux and Windows guest. All IP addresses between host and VMs are static. Network adapter settings are "Bridged Adapter", with Intel PRO/1000MT Desktop. After trying to upgrade to VirtualBox 5.0.0 and 5.0.2, while networking still worked (even the two VMs could ping each other), neither the host nor the VMs could ping each other, as described below:

192.168.1.10 host (can ping .30, but not vm1 or vm2)
192.168.1.20 vm1 (can ping vm2 and .30)
192.168.1.21 vm2 (can ping vm1 and .30)
192.168.1.30 another computer on same subnet (all can ping .30, .30 can see all of them)

I tried changing many settings including Promiscuous Mode, adapter types, etc, however it made no difference. The same problem existed with both VB 5.0.0 and VB 5.0.2. It wasn't an issue of extension packs either. The same thing happened regardless of the extension pack.

I got it working again by DOWNGRADING to VirtualBox 4.3.30, and now it works perfectly again (as it did with VB 4.3.15). It even worked BEFORE I downgraded to the 4.3.30 extension packs, so the problem does not seem related to those.

At this point, I figure it is simply a bug or issue in VirtualBox 5.0.x, hence this posting to perhaps save some others the same headache of trying to figure out why it suddenly doesn't work after upgrading.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: cannot ping host <--> VMs after upgrade to VirtualBox 5.

Post by noteirak »

That sounds like an issue with the bridged driver version. VBox 5.0.x comes with two of them - the original used in 4.3 and a new one compatible with newer version of Windows.
User Manual wrote: The user is able to choose between NDIS5 and NDIS6 host network filters drivers during the installation. This is realized via a command line parameter NETWORKTYPE. The NDIS6 driver is default for Windows Vista and later. For older Windows versions, the installer will automatically select the NDIS5 driver and this cannot be changed. For Windows Vista and later the user can force to install the (legacy) NDIS5 host network filter driver using NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5. For example, to install the NDIS5 driver on Windows 7, do

VirtualBox-x.x.x-yyyyy-Win.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5

or

msiexec /i VirtualBox-<version>-MultiArch_<x86|amd64>.msi NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5
Source
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
qd01a

Post by qd01a »

You're correct, that was the problem! I forced VirtualBox to install the older NDIS5 driver version as you showed and all works again.

I filed the following bug report on the issue: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14457

Thanks for the quick and easy solution!
NoNoNo
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP(32bit) / Debian 8.x / Debian 7.x / Windows 7(32bit)

Post by NoNoNo »

noteirak wrote:That sounds like an issue with the bridged driver version. VBox 5.0.x comes with two of them - the original used in 4.3 and a new one compatible with newer version of Windows.
Thanks, Change NDIS version really help me bypass the comodo firewall conflict.
BoldyBoddinton

Post by BoldyBoddinton »

For me, on windows 10 RTM, this stopped VM's from working altogether. VM's refused to open with some network driver error.

Using the newer NDIS driver I found going to host network properties and tick/untick IPv6 pressing OK inbetween once or twice solved the issue till reboot. Then rinse and repeat.
alwleedk
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: 265

Re: cannot ping host <--> VMs after upgrade to VirtualBox 5.0.x

Post by alwleedk »

I'm very happy Thanks, Change NDIS version :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

A spammer wrote:thanks
... for? What exactly? A three-year old solution that doesn't really apply today? Locking this.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I deleted his post: linked page spam (shopping website URL in profile).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:linked page spam (shopping website URL in profile)
Oops, good call, didn't check that part. :?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.