How to use VirtualKD

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
edik

How to use VirtualKD

Post by edik »

Hello!
My main question is about connecting VirtualKD 2.8 to VirtualBox 5.0.
I started with VirtualKD default tutorial to install. but it fails.
After searching vbox site and forums I found some thing about virtualKD Device and some thing about stub/loader.
Is it any tutorial about using them?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to use VirtualKD

Post by mpack »

If you have questions about VirtualKD then you need to ask the VirtualKD developers. As far as I can tell it is nothing to do with us - it's someone else's addon.
edik

Post by edik »

mpack wrote:If you have questions about VirtualKD then you need to ask the VirtualKD developers. As far as I can tell it is nothing to do with us - it's someone else's addon.
Thanks for fast answer, you are right ( and I also asked them! ).
But I want more info about [Fixed] Beta2 built without VirtualKD device support and VBOX_WITH_VIRTUALKD.I think these are in vbox.
If I'm wrong where should I find more info?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Yes, VirtualBox seems to include some code donated by the VirtualKD developers, but it's still the latter that you need to go to if you want a tutorial. These are user forums, we are not really set up to help developers.

The pages you provide links to refer to short term issues with a beta version of VirtualBox. That beta period is closed and those pages should no longer be relevant. If the VirtualKD developers say there is still a problem with the release version then I suspect the onus would be on them to contact the devs using the developer mailing list.
edik

Post by edik »

Thanks a lot!
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

The entire VirtualKD documentation is handled by the original author. Yes, VirtualBox contains a very small amount of code to help loading the VirtualKD DLL (which is what accidentally was disabled in one of the beta versions), but it isn't providing any significant functionality. The VirtualKD documentation tells you what to do to get it working.

If you run into VirtualBox error messages, let us know what they are (ideally with VBox.log showing the context). If "but it fails" is the best you can do it's very unlikely anyone can help.
edik

Post by edik »

VBox.zip
Last step logs
(20.3 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Thaks klaus. for your answer.
And your mention about
klaus wrote:If you run into VirtualBox error messages, let us know what they are (ideally with VBox.log showing the context). If "but it fails" is the best you can do it's very unlikely anyone can help.
When I tried the Installation Article.
The program caused an error ( Not in VBox ), prompt
Unable to cast Com object of type 'VirtualBox.VirtualBoxClass' to interface type 'VirtulBox.IVirtualBox'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{C28BE65F-1A8F-43B4-81F1-EB60CB516E66}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported ( Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).
With a little googling and reading sysprog forums I found This Article which fixed my first problem, but VBox said:
Unable to load R3 module ...\VBoxKD64.dll (VirtualKD): Not signed. ... (VERR_LDRVI_NOT_SIGNED)
as it is an informative error, I tried signing VBoxKD64.dll

With signed dll VBox Warned
Failed to load VirtualKD library 'C:\Debug\VirtualKD\VBoxKD64.dll'. Fast kernel-mode debugging will not work.
Error ID: VirtualKD_LOAD
Severity: Warning
finally the log file:
VBox.zip
Last step logs
(20.3 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Don't think we can do much here... thought that the VirtualKD developer took care of signing etc., as the driver itself doesn't need to be rebuilt. Only the part of VirtualKD which talks to the VirtualBox API.

How did you sign the driver? With a valid kernel mode cert? With a self-generated cert with test signing and fully enabled test mode of the windows install?
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Didn't spot it straight away, but the log file contains the information what VirtualBox doesn't like about your setup:

Code: Select all

00:00:02.050602 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=VERR_SUP_VP_NOT_OWNED_BY_TRUSTED_INSTALLER fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\debug\VirtualKd\kdclient64.dll: supHardenedWinVerifyImageByHandle: TrustedInstaller is not the owner of '\Device\HarddiskVolume2\debug\VirtualKd\kdclient64.dll'.
00:00:02.050678 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'c:\Debug\VirtualKd\kdclient64.dll' (c:\Debug\VirtualKd\kdclient64.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
VirtualBox is super picky about insecure access rights for DLLs it loads - if a normal user could do funny tricks it won't accept that.
edik

Post by edik »

Thanks for your fast answer klaus.
Your right. I changed the owner of the DLL to NT SERVICE\Trustedinstaller and every thing run well.

Thanks alot.
SGResu

Post by SGResu »

edik wrote:Thanks for your fast answer klaus.
Your right. I changed the owner of the DLL to NT SERVICE\Trustedinstaller and every thing run well.

Thanks alot.

hi,
could you please post the command?
I have the same problem after a laptop crash.