Bridged Networking Driver breaks my real network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sdhjl2000

Re: Bridged Networking Driver breaks my real network

Post by sdhjl2000 »

have the same problem
BvdW

Post by BvdW »

Hey guys, stumbled on this annoying problem myself.
If you have a virus scanner or apps that adds services to your networking device.
This might be the problem.

I myself installed Panda virus scanner for some odd reason (not recommended)...
And the cloud virus solution likes to bottleneck the traffic through its own service, that in combination with other services like the bridge of virtual box makes one big mess out of your system.
I reverted back to a other popular virus solution with the same features and everything worked without a problem.
Giusi

Post by Giusi »

i've no virus scan sw..but could you pls make some examples about:

" or apps that adds services to your networking device" ..:

anyway this should be eventaully the case in which you have vb without issue and then you add an app or some and
the issues appear
but here the only issue is having upgraded to win 10...

cheers
TestTestington

Post by TestTestington »

The issue is not "having upgraded to windows 10". I had the issue on Windows 8.1 with Panda AV installed. When I formatted and installed Windows 10 (and Panda AV) and the issue went away.
Giusi

Post by Giusi »

for many users here the issue is the exact countrary...
works fine up to win 8.1
broke with upgraded win 10 as host..
mroshaw
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows XP

Post by mroshaw »

I've never managed to get this to work. I've since upgraded my host to Windows 10 Professional and my VirtualBox to 5.0.4 - no dice. If I select the "Bridged" and / or the "Host Only" options in the installer, I lose host network connectivity the moment the installer finished configuring these devices.

Has this issue gone away for others who experienced the problem on a Windows 8 host? Any ideas as to a solution to this?
mroshaw
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows XP

Post by mroshaw »

TestTestington wrote:When I formatted...
I suspect this is what fixed it, not the install of Windows 10. I'm loath to re-build the entire machine in the hopes of getting bridged networking to work. It worked fine in VB4, so I'm still confused as to why it's not working in VB5.
tim79

Post by tim79 »

My host network isn't broken, but all of my VMs lost connectivity after upgrading from 4.3.30 to 5.0.4

I've resolved the problem (for now) by configuring the VMs to use the second NIC in my server - bridged networking appears to be OK, but it can't see the host

Host server - IP x.x.x.24 (NIC 1) - (Win Server 2012) this is the DNS server for the local network

VMs set up to bridge to this NIC can't see the host at all - ping x.x.x.24 times out

The second NIC resolves to x.x.x.25 on the network - when I configure my VMs to use this NIC, the VMs can't talk to x.x.x.25, but can talk to all other IPs (including x.x.x.24, so DNS now works)

So... the assumption I'm making is that the latest code for bridged networks is failing to 'do the right thing' with packets bound for the host

Of course... if you don't have two NICs in your box... this won't help - at least until the bug gets fixed
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

I tried the latest build (Version 5.0.5 r102814) and now everything seems to be working properly. I'm using Win 7 x64 host.

Kiran
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I too am having this problem and it is extremely frustrating. I'm running Windows 10 and VirtualBox version 5.0.4 r102546. The moment I enable "VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver" my host computer can no longer connect to the network. I can't even ping my default gateway with this driver enabled. My "ethernet" says "unitendified network" instead of the name of my network.

VirtualBox worked fine on my machine when I had Windows 7 but broke after installing Windows 8.1 and didn't get resolved with the upgrade to Windows 10.

Anyone have any ideas?
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Per comments within the ticket 14326 (sorry the forum won't let me post the link, it's linked earlier in the post), I installed the latest Windows test build (v5.0.5-102814) and it is now working. Everyone give that a shot.