Error "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine..."

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pchaitat
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian

Re: Error "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine..."

Post by pchaitat »

socratis wrote:
pchaitat wrote:I tried, "Detachable Start" and the Guest OS booted up!
That's definitely not a solution, that's a workaround at best. What you have is something that's preventing the guest window from being created on the host by normal means (because it eventually gets created). To me that sounds like an installed hacked theme or some system DLL having being replaced. Both of those could have been seen in that "*hardening*" ... thing.
You are right. It is a workaround.

I have tried more and found that just clicking the "Detachable Start" is not enough. I also have to use "Run as Administrator" to start VirtualBox application too. Note that I have to use the Right Click on the VirtualBox program icon and click at "Run as Administrator". Another way by setting a property on the program icon to Run as Administrator doesn't work.

This time, I have all the log files for anyone who wants to analyze as in the attachments.

File structure:
- VBoxHardening-normal_start.log : Using normal start. Doesn't use "Run as Administrator". Cannot run Guest OS.
- VBoxHardening-detachable_start.log : Using detachable start. Doesn't use "Run as Administrator". Cannot run Guest OS.
- run_as_admin/ : Using detachable start. Use "Run as Administrator". Can run Guest OS.
Attachments
Logs.tar.gz
(74.6 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

First of all:
  • Do not use Run-as-Administrator for VirtualBox! Never!
Second, comparing the normal vs detachable logs, I see mentions of "uxtheme.dll" in the normal one. Did you install any custom themes?

Open an elevated Command Prompt (right-click on it, Run-as-administrator) and type the command:
  • sfc /scannow
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
cattmouch33

Post by cattmouch33 »

So I've been going through this forum trying to find a solution that will work for the same error code list. So far none of the solutions list have worked. I have verified that all drivers are now up to date. I have also tried reinstalling 5.1.24. I then tried testing on 5.0.40 and then 4.3.40. All give the machine error. I have tried the NIC on and off, different RAM sizes and HD sizes. I have tried different HD types (VDI, VHD, and VMDK). Also tried headless and detachable start just to see if it would run. It creates 3 files in the test name folder .vbox, .vbox-prev, and vhd. These files are the same as my laptop (dell latitude E6420) which I initially tested on and it worked. The new tower is a dell precision T7810 with 128GB RAM. Nothing thus far has been able to allow the VM to start. I'm trying to run a Linux VM on the machine.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine test.

The virtual machine 'test' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code -1073741819 (0xc0000005). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\User\VirtualBox VMs\test\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
(73.05 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Catt, start a new thread please. But see Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues in case you can fix this yourself first.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You're right scottgus1, this is a 2-year old thread, I'll lock it.

@cattmouch33
Please be a champ and open a new thread if you do not find the solution in the article that scottgus1 pointed you to.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.