Error "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine..."

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Error "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine..."

Post by mpack »

I see you have two antivirus packages installed, Malwarebytes and AVG. I'm suspicious of the latter, but you can try disabling both - see if the problem goes away. IMHO two different AV packages is often a bad idea.

Another thing to try is disabling 3D acceleration, see if the problem goes away. If it does then it's probably an unsigned graphics driver, you should look for updates.
motecl

Post by motecl »

mpack wrote:I see you have two antivirus packages installed, Malwarebytes and AVG. I'm suspicious of the latter, but you can try disabling both - see if the problem goes away. IMHO two different AV packages is often a bad idea.

Another thing to try is disabling 3D acceleration, see if the problem goes away. If it does then it's probably an unsigned graphics driver, you should look for updates.
thanks for the quick reply
I unistall both AV and the 3D but I still have the problem :C
here it the new log
thanks Appreciate your help guys
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
new log
(13.02 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, the only remaining error I see is "unknown status" loading user32.dll, a critical Windows system DLL. Perhaps you should try running "sfc /scannow" from an admin command line.
pxpc2

Post by pxpc2 »

I'm also getting the error. I tried removing AVG, but that didn't solve it; been looking for solutions for a few hours now and nothing, also tried installing different versions/running as admin and etc; any help is appreciated! :D
My log file is attached.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
(13.89 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

pxpc2, it's usually a good idea to start your own new thread, just in case your issue isn't related to the OP or the other folks who have glommed on.

That said, your hardening log also shows an issue over user32.dll. Did you try Mpack's suggestion in the post above yours?
mpack wrote:try running "sfc /scannow" from an admin command line.
pxpc2

Post by pxpc2 »

I'm sorry, indeed should've created a new thread. Anyways, I hadn't realized the issue was also with user32.dll, my bad. Mpack's suggestion worked! Thank you all a lot.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

"Failed" is a symptom, not the disease. It can have many causes, and the above discussion hasn't covered them all. Nor could it, without the topic turning into a sprawling mess. So yes it is best to start your own topic and give your exact symptoms and a log file.
CaptGreyBeard

Post by CaptGreyBeard »

I created an account just to say:
Windows defender Real Time scanning was causing my issue. Turned it off. Boom, everything works like magic again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@CaptGreyBeard
That's got to be the first that I remember seeing Windows Defender causing a problem. Interesting...
Can you give specific information about version numbers for the OS and Defender, including if you can even update dates.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

A bit of a surprise to me too. I have had Defender real-time scanning on ever since Windows 10 came out and have never had a problem with VirtualBox (or any other program) caused by it.
Bill
ZiggyLink

Post by ZiggyLink »

I understand this is an old thread, but in my case the Citrix Streaming Profiler was causing the message referenced by the OP. Uninstalling it resolved the issue for me. Hope this helps someone out there!
Renzo73

Post by Renzo73 »

same error here. Ubuntu 16 host.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Renzo73
Please pay more attention next time. This is the Windows Hosts section. You may have a similar error, but no way it's the same thing. Please open a new thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pchaitat
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian

Post by pchaitat »

I have got a similar error too.

My environment:

- Windows 7 (64-bit) Host OS
- Windows 7 (64-bit) Guest OS
- VirtualBox, the latest stable version for Windows Host as of Mar 4, 2017 which is version 5.x (Sorry, I can't remember the exact version as the host is on a remote location and I don't have access to it anymore)

My language: Tinglish

When I tried to start my Guest OS, VirtualBox showed an error dialog box. An error log was created in a file which had "*hardening*" as part of the filename.

After spending some time looking for a solution on the Internet, I tried a different way of starting my Guest OS. I tried, "Detachable Start" and the Guest OS booted up!

Hope that helps.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

pchaitat wrote:I tried, "Detachable Start" and the Guest OS booted up!
That's definitely not a solution, that's a workaround at best. What you have is something that's preventing the guest window from being created on the host by normal means (because it eventually gets created). To me that sounds like an installed hacked theme or some system DLL having being replaced. Both of those could have been seen in that "*hardening*" ... thing.