Windows Vista wont install on Fixed Size Virtual Disk

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
meynard

Windows Vista wont install on Fixed Size Virtual Disk

Post by meynard »

Hi everyone!

I just recently started using Virtual Box and think its a great tool. On my installation attempts I encountered a very strange behavior.

I bought a brand new external Harddrive (160 GB). There, I created a new Fixed Size Virtual Disk with 120 GigaBytes. Once that was done, I started installing Windows Vista from the DVD. The installation asked for a partition to choose and I selected one from the virtual horddrive that was created before.

Then, things became strange - the Vista installation continued and tried to copy Windows Files to the virtual hard drive. But this action failed with an error message telling that the hard drive was not available. The setup would then return to the start of the installation menu where I could again choose installing Windows Vista. However, once I reached again the list of available partitions the virtual drive would not show any more and an installation wouldn't start. This behavior occurred on my PC several times.

What is even stranger is that at the whole time after the partition was chosen for the first time - Virtual Box indicated that the Virtual Hard Drive was used (red light in the bottom of the window). The only way then to stop the running Virtual Box session was to unconnect the external harddrive.

What is strange, too, ist that none of these problems occur when a dynamic file size for the hard drive is chosen.

Does anyone know how to avoid this behavior, or if I have dicovered a bug ...

Thanks,
Roland!