Windows 10 Hosts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Windows 10 Hosts

Post by loukingjr »

Okay. I'm just going to shut up now. :mrgreen:
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
sfmict

Post by sfmict »

All my problems decided the new chipset from Intel (version 10.1.2.8 ), maybe it helps someone :wink:
marcthin

Post by marcthin »

mpack and lookingjr; thanks for the reply, I understand. I shall test it on a clean instal WIN10!
Eldair

Post by Eldair »

Hello,

New solution for laravel homestead:

1. Install Virtualbox 5 and Vagrant 1.7.4
2. Comment line 17: config.vm.network :private_network, ip: settings["ip"] ||= "192.168.10.10" in homestead.rb
3. Comment line 64: b.use ClearNetworkInterfaces in action.rb (path ~\HashiCorp\Vagrant\embedded\gems\gems\vagrant-1.7.4\plugins\providers\virtualbox\action.rb)
4. Homestead init and/or up
5. Homestead halt
6. In Virtualbox preferences -> network -> host-only networks edit existing Host-Only adapter and add 192.168.10.10 as IP address
7. Select homestead box in Virtualbox and go to settings -> network -> adapter 2 and select Host-only network (the one edited in step above)
8. Homestead up, provision
P.S. I don't know why, but I had to add :8000 to alias urls in browser to get them to open pages.

And it's working (: Cheers

Mod note: Vagrant is not supported here. Using Vagrant may mean that you would have to go elsewhere to get help.
Last edited by mpack on 23. Jul 2015, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: note
gmc

Post by gmc »

I"m still having problems creating host only adapters.

Windows 10 build 10240.
VB 5.0 RC3

If I go to preferences, network, host only networks and try create a new adapter:

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Is this still a general problem? W10 release is only days away. :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Is the host-only driver installed? Have you looked in device manager for the virtual device?
marcthin

Post by marcthin »

I have another problem. When I install virtual box 5 (R101573) in my WIN10 installation and I started up a VM my whole internet connection (wired) is gone. On the Host as whel on the guest.
As I deinstall virtual box 5 than my internet connection is back.
When I instal Virt. box 4.38 on the WIN10 installation than al things are whel.
I use NAT and internet Bridge both are working whel wit 4.38 not wit Virt.5

I also can create VM's 32 en 64Bit :mrgreen:

Is there a workaround or is het a nown problem?

Thanks voor reading my post :)

Regards, Marcthin
liamdawson

Post by liamdawson »

I had my machine upgrade to the 'RTM' build of Windows 10 overnight (woo!), found I couldn't SSH into my Vagrant VM (figured it was probably a driver thing, as I had to reinstall my Nvidia drivers too). So I installed the latest Vagrant and Virtualbox, but now I can't boot _any_ machine. Here's the path for a gist (link posting restrictions) containing log of me trying to boot a formerly successful machine: /liamdawson/db5344a562f1e3bb25d0 Any advice?
Zenok

Post by Zenok »

My computer freezes when restoring the saved state of a machine. I tried reinstalling the machines and keeps going.

I have Windows 10 RTM with 8GB of RAM
seb2

Post by seb2 »

Hi, I've a Strange problem I don't if it's only me
YouTube video and other stremed video are very slow on win 10:

CONTEXT:
on same physical PC with dual boot
first boot with Windows 8.1 64 pro
second with Windows 10 64 pro 10240
VirtualBox was install on the 2 OS host is 5.0.0.r1573 with extension pack
OS guest is the same (same files), it's Windows 7 64 integrale.

OBSERVATION
with win 8.1 no problem
with win 10 very slow and I found i found that no sound with win 10 but no problem with win8.1
Maybe the new sound architecture ?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Or, maybe you simply didn't enable 2D acceleration and/or didn't install the Guest Additions?

I say this because you don't mention the Guest Additions, though you do mention the extension pack - which is not relevant to guest performance.
  • Extension pack == plugin for VirtualBox host application (adds extra non FOSS features to host app).
  • Guest Additions == VM-aware device driver package for guest, necessary for best guest OS performance. Only available for supported guest Operating Systems.
etikka

Post by etikka »

Eldair wrote:Hello,

New solution for laravel homestead:

1. Install Virtualbox 5 and Vagrant 1.7.4
2. Comment line 17: config.vm.network :private_network, ip: settings["ip"] ||= "192.168.10.10" in homestead.rb
3. Comment line 64: b.use ClearNetworkInterfaces in action.rb (path ~\HashiCorp\Vagrant\embedded\gems\gems\vagrant-1.7.4\plugins\providers\virtualbox\action.rb)
4. Homestead init and/or up
5. Homestead halt
6. In Virtualbox preferences -> network -> host-only networks edit existing Host-Only adapter and add 192.168.10.10 as IP address
7. Select homestead box in Virtualbox and go to settings -> network -> adapter 2 and select Host-only network (the one edited in step above)
8. Homestead up, provision
P.S. I don't know why, but I had to add :8000 to alias urls in browser to get them to open pages.
Eldair, thank you for this! I got vagrant+puphpet working by following your instructions.
:kisses:
DeltaKilo

Post by DeltaKilo »

Windows 10 release tomorrow. Any ETA for bug #14040 ?
That's very annoying bug practically showstopping Virtualbox on Win10.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

These are user forums. You know as much about development ETAs as we do.

As to the "showstopper" part, if you are an Oracle customer then you should certainly contact your rep and tell them that you consider this is a priority.
UKater

Post by UKater »

I had the same problem. I have two instances of Windows, one Win 7 SP1 32 bit VM and one Win 7 SP1 64 bit VM. Both were perfectly running under windows 8.1 with Network bridged adapter. This morning i installed windows 10 over windows 8.1. Both my windows VM stopped working under network bridged adapter. During bootup both came with network adapter problems and would not start up. I turned off both network adapters and they both booted normally but without network ability. As i turned on NAT in network settings, 32 bit got at least internet connection, but 64 bit stayed giving problems. So i still can not get normal network connectivity. I think we have to wait for a new VirtualBox update to solve our problems.