Windows 10 Hosts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
spicey

Re: Windows 10 Hosts

Post by spicey »

Same problem. Win8x64 machine using Virtualbox without issue for months. My guest machines use NAT with a 2nd host only adapter and I was able to ssh to guest from host via host-only adapter. Upgraded to Windows 10 today and now I'm out of business. When I say out of business I mean literally; I cannot get my work done as I can now longer connect to my VMs. I tried running everything as admin but no luck.

Host and guest can access internet (WAN). Host and guest can ssh to other machines on LAN. I can ping the host-only adapter's IP from DOS but cannot connect to any ports on VM using putty, web browser, etc.

Problem is with both the latest 4.3 and 5 VB install.

I hope Bill Gates' roof leaks next time it rains.

HELP? This is whack.
Last edited by spicey on 30. Jul 2015, 00:42, edited 2 times in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Updated from Windows 8.1 to 10 this morning. No audio from any guest. VB 5.0. Tried the 5.0.1 test build, no dice.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
AlexisSurge66

Post by AlexisSurge66 »

loukingjr wrote:Updated from Windows 8.1 to 10 this morning. No audio from any guest. VB 5.0. Tried the 5.0.1 test build, no dice.
Same with me.
gmace11

Post by gmace11 »

AlexisSurge66 wrote:
loukingjr wrote:Updated from Windows 8.1 to 10 this morning. No audio from any guest. VB 5.0. Tried the 5.0.1 test build, no dice.
Same with me.
Same as the above 2 posters.

Host: VB 5.0 also tried 5.0.1
Guest: Lubuntu 14.04

Audio settings:
- WindowsDirectSound
- Intel HD Audio (with the other settings players in the guest stop playing - audio is not advancing)

With the Intel HD Audio controller I don't see the VBox application in the list of applications when I look at Volume Mixer. This makes me think there is an issue with Win 10 generic driver for this controller.

Any thoughts?
Mitchboo

Post by Mitchboo »

I have not been able to run Virtual Box 5 under Windows 10 64 bits build 10240. When I try to create a new VM for Windows 8.1 I, I get a box saying :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NtCreateFile(\Device\VboxDrvStub) failed: 0xc0000034
STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND (0 retries)

Driver is probably sttuck stopping/starting. Try 'sc.exe query vboxdrv' to get
more information about its state. rebooting may actually help. (rc=-101)

Make sure kernel module has been loaded successfully.

[Abort]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I did sc and here is the result :

Code: Select all

SERVIC_NAME : vboxdrv
TYPE                : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
STATE              : 4 RUNNING
                             (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

All this sounds Martian, unless it is Endorian, or even Klingon ?

I have used VirtualBox for quite a while, and it usually works out of the box (virtual of course ;).

Would all that mean that simply VB5 is not compatible with the brand new Windows 10 ? When will a fix be available ?

TIA
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@Mitchboo:

This topic is for discussing problems which are unique or new to Windows 10 hosts. OTOH your problem is well known on previous Windows host versions - see the security topic stickied at the top of this forum. A simple search would have found some of those older posts.

Please check if the problem is known already, so we can avoid filling up this topic with repetitive junk.
ejon

Post by ejon »

Hi all, I just upgrade my windows 7 to windows 10 and I got this error when running the vbox.

Error:Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter' (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).
Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Thanks guys :D .
krchat
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by krchat »

VB 4.3.30 Guest WXPx32 - I don't have sound in it. There are Guest additions and extension pack.
"ICH AC97" sound card with Host Driver "Windows Direct Sound",
AlexisSurge66

Post by AlexisSurge66 »

I've run into a completely new problem.

I'm running a Windows ME VM, and in Windows 8.1, it worked like a charm. Now when I want to put a virtual floppy disk in, it crashes. There's also no sound from ANY of my VMs.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
krchat
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by krchat »

If I understand well, this topic only for Windows 10 Hosts
AlexisSurge66

Post by AlexisSurge66 »

krchat wrote:If I understand well, this topic only for Windows 10 Hosts
I have Windows 10, and those are some problems I have in it.
zZz666

Post by zZz666 »

When I upgraded to Win X (so called Windows 10) I had two show stoppers:

#1) Bridged Network gone
Solution - installed Virtual Box 5

#2) Error 0x80004005 / Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_LDR_MISMATCH_NATIVE).
Solution - Apparently wants: C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-minkernelapinamespace_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_fb7050014fc6f9b0\ext-ms-win-ntos-ksigningpolicy-l1-1-0.dll

Which I copied from C:\Windows.Old

Looks good now
schrauber

Post by schrauber »

Hi @all

newly registered here, because I have a strange problem with win10 host and vbox5.

I can start and run all existing VMs perfectly fine. But I am unable to create a new VM. I create it, choose settings, and start it for the first time. When I click on the folder icon to choose an iso, the vm crashes and is gone. Tried it 10 times now, also tried to mount the iso directly. The vm will not recognize the mounted drive.

Any ideas? :)

edit:
Error Code
Für die virtuelle Maschine englisch konnte keine neue Sitzung eröffnet werden.

The VM session was aborted.

Fehlercode:E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponente:SessionMachine
Interface:ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}

Cheers,
Tom
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@scrauber:

Have you tried an MD5 checksum test on the ISO?

If that doesn't solve the problem then where is the ISO located? Precise path please. I want to know if it's on a local drive vs network vs USB drive, I want to know if the ISO is in a normal folder vs root folder, and I want to know if the path includes any accented characters.

Also, the size of the ISO image: exact size in bytes please.

If you have access to an earlier VirtualBox installation then it would be useful to know if that does something different.
13bgarli

Post by 13bgarli »

schrauber wrote:Hi @all

newly registered here, because I have a strange problem with win10 host and vbox5.

I can start and run all existing VMs perfectly fine. But I am unable to create a new VM. I create it, choose settings, and start it for the first time. When I click on the folder icon to choose an iso, the vm crashes and is gone. Tried it 10 times now, also tried to mount the iso directly. The vm will not recognize the mounted drive.

Any ideas? :)

edit:
Error Code
Für die virtuelle Maschine englisch konnte keine neue Sitzung eröffnet werden.

The VM session was aborted.

Fehlercode:E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponente:SessionMachine
Interface:ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}

Cheers,
Tom
I have the exact same issue as you do schrauber, I've tried it on my desktop as well as my Surface Pro 2 and both result in not being able to select an ISO from that initial ISO selection dialog upon first startup. However, you can go into the VM settings and mount an ISO directly from within those settings into the CD Drive which will work fine. It's not a problem of it not accepting the selected ISO, it just literally crashes when you click the icon to select an ISO from your file system (before the system selection dialog appears). My surface didn't even have an old version of VirtualBox on it (I thought that may have been the issue) but it still does the same exact thing.

Hopefully this gets helps get this resolved soon.

Thanks,
Brandon