Windows 10 Hosts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rosch
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Re: Windows 10 Hosts

Post by rosch »

I confirm, it is only after removing 5.0.10, rebooting, and installing the current test version 5.0.x revision 104602 (5.0.11) that I could start the VM (Ubuntu) again.
Amputeez79

Post by Amputeez79 »

Hello,

Trying to Install Windows 8.1 in my VBOX for my class and I keep getting an= Guru Meditation error at the Windows screen where you can select language then press install. It says press OK to power down or cancel to continue for debugging. I have attached the required logs it told me for your review. Thanks for the help as always! AmputeeZ
Attachments
Windows 8.1-2015-12-09-15-02-41.log
(70.76 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Pyrootaku

Post by Pyrootaku »

Hello,

I have been having a difficult time getting my linux guest connected to my host network. I have selected every network type but it gets me nowhere. Have any of you found a fix for this. i dont have any Anti-virus interfering.
TekLord

Fixing Win10 Bridged Adapter after MS Update

Post by TekLord »

Host: Win10 x64 with all patches
Guest: Windows XP with all patches
NIC1: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
NIC2: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Virtualbox: 5.0.10r104061

After a recent Windows 10 update my bridged network adapter on the XP guest stopped working.
When I would go to Settings / Network in VM Manager the NIC2 card was no longer offered.

To fix the problem I uninstalled Virtualbox and then re-installed.
The NIC2 adapter is now back and can be selected.

I had to post this before I forgot how to fix the problem. This has happened to me twice.

I have now disabled NIC1 in Device Manager in the hopes that the problem does not happen again.
Kenn_UK

Post by Kenn_UK »

Hi

I am running a virtual XP machine in Virtual Box 4.3.12 on a Windows 8.1 64 bit host.

If I upgrade to Windows 10, will virtual box still function?

Apologies is this is answered elsewhere - I am new to this community and unsure where to go for help.

Kenn
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

You would need to update VirtualBox to 4.3.34 or 5.0.10.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Mark Y

Blurry fonts/bitmaps Win XP guest & Win 10 host

Post by Mark Y »

This is my first post. I have Googled extensively and searched the site and not found a solution.

I am using VirtualBox Ver 5.0.12 in a Win 10 host with Win XP x32 and Win 7 x64 guests.

I have been using the Win XP guest for several years with a Win 7 x64 host to be able to run 32 bit programs that would not run in Win 7 x64. I created the Win 7 x64 guest just before I upgraded the Win 7 host to Win 10 a week ago (to be able to run a few older programs that work OK in Win 7 but have issues in Win 8/10). Both guests open properly with the Win 10 host.

I am working with several displays (with different resolutions) and the main reason for upgrading to Win 10 was too be able to use different DPI scaling for text, apps, etc. for each display. The problem is that Win 10 tries to scale every program to the display size and this can produce blurry fonts for legacy programs (I tried to include a reference to a web page here but this is blocked until I am a member for 1 day).

The recommended solution is to go to the Properties for the program exe file, and under Compatibility check the option to Disable display scaling on high DPI settings. This does remove most display problems for older (so called "scaling unaware") programs when there is a specific exe file to adjust.

The problem is that the desktop and programs in the Win XP x32 guest have blurry, hard to read fonts, muddy bitmaps (e.g. cards in the Solitare program) or lines that are not clear (e.g. in XY graphs). The display issues seem not to be as bad for the Win 7 x64 guest, but I have not tested it extensively.

I have checked the option to "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" for every exe file in the directory with the VirtualBox program files and it does not solve the display problem for the Win XP guest. None of the files associated with the virtual machines have a Compatibility tab in the Properties and I have not been able to find a way to alter the DPI settings for either VM.

I think that fixing this issue is going to require a new option in the Guest settings in the VirtualBox Manager. However, I hope that someone can suggest a workaround and I would appreciate any suggestions for a fix.

Thanks,

Mark
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Blurry fonts/bitmaps Win XP guest & Win 10 host

Post by mpack »

Mark Y wrote: The problem is that the desktop and programs in the Win XP x32 guest have blurry, hard to read fonts, muddy bitmaps (e.g. cards in the Solitare program) or lines that are not clear (e.g. in XY graphs). The display issues seem not to be as bad for the Win 7 x64 guest, but I have not tested it extensively.
That seems to be a guest problem. In fact it sounds like you have scale mode enabled and possibly don't have the GAs installed. This is not the appropriate topic to discuss guest problems: if you need to do so then create a new topic in "Windows Guests" and provide a VM log file (with the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip to the new topic).
Mark Y

Re: Blurry fonts/bitmaps Win XP guest & Win 10 host

Post by Mark Y »

mpack wrote:
Mark Y wrote: The problem is that the desktop and programs in the Win XP x32 guest have blurry, hard to read fonts, muddy bitmaps (e.g. cards in the Solitare program) or lines that are not clear (e.g. in XY graphs). The display issues seem not to be as bad for the Win 7 x64 guest, but I have not tested it extensively.
That seems to be a guest problem. In fact it sounds like you have scale mode enabled and possibly don't have the GAs installed. This is not the appropriate topic to discuss guest problems: if you need to do so then create a new topic in "Windows Guests" and provide a VM log file (with the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip to the new topic).
Thank you. The problem arose when I upgraded to Win 10. The Win XP guest has been running in Win 7 x64 for several years with no display (or other) problems. The degradation in display quality between Win 7 and Win 10 hosts is quite dramatic, and I would have difficulty working with the XP guest for any length of time.

I also have several other legacy programs installed that show the same display issues until I start them with "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" checked.

Scale mode was not enabled (and I get the same display problems with it enabled). I am not sure what GAs are (and a search for GA in the user manual yielded no results). If you mean Guest Additions, the Extension pack is installed.

I will post to a Windows Guests forum with the VBox.log.

Mark
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

He did mean guest additions. the extension pack is something else. You can install them from the Devices menu> Insert guest additions image… while your guest is open.
Mark Y

Post by Mark Y »

Thanks. I am pretty sure that I installed the Guest Additions when I first set up the Win XP x32 guest a few years ago. I just did a (re-)install of the Guest Additions and it does not change anything.

Mark
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, you should update the GAs whenever you update VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

@MarkY: sorry, I accidentally deleted your new topic - it looked like a cross post and I forgot I'd invited you to do it. Please do it again, this time only create a stub, and I'll move these posts to it. Put STUB TOPIC AT MODERATORS REQUEST in the body of the message so that Perry doesn't delete it.

Do provide a zipped log.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

TOPIC CLOSED.

The current user manual has added "Windows 10 RTM build 10240" to the list of supported hosts, which means that we no longer need a specialized Windows 10 topic. In future you should open a normal topic in "Windows Hosts" for any host specific issues you have. If you have a Windows 10 host that is NOT build 10240 then be sure to mention that!