Windows 10 Hosts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Tpeter52

Re: Windows 10 Hosts

Post by Tpeter52 »

Is anyone getting BSOD on Windows 10 host?

I'm running 5.0.10r10461 but it started with the previous version also. Not able to determine what sequence of events that I can identify causes the problem. Sometimes I can just have an active client of any type (Windows-10, Windows-7 or XP) and maybe not doing anything other than having an open client. Then Bang! - BSOD and the host reboots. It's nearly guaranteed at some point every time but not necessarily while doing the same thing.
ChuckM
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by ChuckM »

I'm trying to use VirtualBox with a 64 bit Ubuntu Guest on a Windows 10 (Build 1151) system, specifically a Surface Book. This has a number of problems. I'm running the latest VBox as of today, the screen is scaled 200% to be readable, guest additions are installed. Linux (distro Kubuntu 15.10) displays the linux background image over everything. (the status bar, running programs, etc) I'm at a loss for how to proceed. I can't even run a terminal in the newly installed guest to install opensshd so that I could connect remotely.

I expected to see that VBox wasn't compatible with Windows 10 yet but that doesn't quite seem to be the case. I can't revert to Windows 7 on the Surface Book obviously so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here.
ChuckM
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by ChuckM »

Probably bad form to reply to your own post, but I've found that it works acceptably with Kubuntu 14, so there is an issue with Plasma and Kubuntu 15 on HiDPi displays. It looks like the guest is getting scaled when the Host window isn't, resulting in a weird larger than the window screen which isn't scrollable effectively.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

It's okay to reply to your own post. :)

First, there is a problem with just about any distro using KDE 5 if 3D acceleration is enabled. Kubuntu 15.10 should work with 3D acceleration disabled.
Second, as far as the screen size issue you described, it sounds like the guest additions didn't install properly. Possibly because you didn't remove the ones that come pre-installed.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Jayooin

Post by Jayooin »

Tpeter52 wrote:Is anyone getting BSOD on Windows 10 host?

I'm running 5.0.10r10461 but it started with the previous version also. Not able to determine what sequence of events that I can identify causes the problem. Sometimes I can just have an active client of any type (Windows-10, Windows-7 or XP) and maybe not doing anything other than having an open client. Then Bang! - BSOD and the host reboots. It's nearly guaranteed at some point every time but not necessarily while doing the same thing.
I am having the same problem.

I have Windows 10, and VB v 5.0.8 r103449. The guest is CentOS 6.5.
Before upgrading Windows and VirtualBox, I had Windows 7 and VB v 4., there were no problem at all.

Now, I can start the VM without any problem. Everything is running fine, until I do some heavy network transfers.
For example, if I start transferring files from another computer to the guest, or the other way, then I get the BSOD. Everytime. It is very annoying, and I can't find anything to help. It looks like it doesn't happen to anyone, except maybe Tpeter52 who had similar issue.
MadNoblex

Post by MadNoblex »

Today I updated to Windows 10 and now I am not able to use VirtualBox anymore.

I tryed reinstalling several times with different versiona and:

5.0.3 to 5.0.9: open up the VB GUI but I'm not able to run any machine because of this error:
Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).
Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
5.0.2: doesn't even start. The Windows loading mouse pointer rolls a bit then nothing happens.

everything from 4.3 to 4.1 (then I stopped trying): The VB GUI shows up and I am even able to run a machine, but no network adapter is seen by VB and I cannot use Bridge mode. 5.x versions of VB see the adaptors.

What to do?
Jayooin

Post by Jayooin »

rocksmoot wrote:I had to jump through a few hoops to get it running on build 10130. Mind you, I've so far been unsuccessful getting Hyper-V running on that build, but I was able to get VirtualBox 5rc 101271 running, with bridged networking functioning, no less.

1. Install normally
2. Reboot
3. Manually install bridged networking drivers C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netlwf\VBoxNetLwf.inf (right click, select install)
4. Open network sharing center and click on "Change Adapter Settings"
5. Right-Click on your Ethernet adapter and select "Properties"
6. Click "Install"
7. Select "Service"
8. Select Virtual Box NDIS Bridged Network Driver
9. Select OK.

After doing all this, I still couldn't get bridged networking working until I ran virtual box as an administrator. Once I do all that it works just fine.
MadNoblex, I did this. And well, it kinda worked. But for me the most important point was to run VB as an administrator. If I don't do that, then I will get a BSOD on my host.
CeRBeR

Post by CeRBeR »

Jayooin wrote:
rocksmoot wrote:I had to jump through a few hoops to get it running on build 10130. Mind you, I've so far been unsuccessful getting Hyper-V running on that build, but I was able to get VirtualBox 5rc 101271 running, with bridged networking functioning, no less.

1. Install normally
2. Reboot
3. Manually install bridged networking drivers C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netlwf\VBoxNetLwf.inf (right click, select install)
4. Open network sharing center and click on "Change Adapter Settings"
5. Right-Click on your Ethernet adapter and select "Properties"
6. Click "Install"
7. Select "Service"
8. Select Virtual Box NDIS Bridged Network Driver
9. Select OK.

After doing all this, I still couldn't get bridged networking working until I ran virtual box as an administrator. Once I do all that it works just fine.
MadNoblex, I did this. And well, it kinda worked. But for me the most important point was to run VB as an administrator. If I don't do that, then I will get a BSOD on my host.
This way only working way. Thank you
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Uh, guys... this isn't a mailing list. There's no need to quote someone else's post in full when the original is right there above yours. That just creates duplication and clutter. Only quote enough to make clear what you're referring to.
DCBOXER

Re: Win2K Guest cannot see network drives on Win10 Host to s

Post by DCBOXER »

I have two Windows 10 computers, both running Virtualbox v. 4.3.28 and Extension Pack 4.3.28.

Both have the same Guest Window 2000 virtual machine. Both VMs are running Guest Additions 4.3.28

On one computer, I am able to set up shared drives in the Guest from network shares on the host. I can even browse the network shares on the host through the guest windows explorer browsing \\vboxsvr\x_drive.

However, my other machine will not see the network shares when I try to setup shared folder. At start of the VM, I get a message. "The shared folder 'X_DRIVE' could not be set up: Shared folder path 'X:\' does not exist on the host." Under the details the Error ID: BrokenSharedFolder is given.

When I use the command prompt to try to connect using net use x: \\vboxsvr\x_drive, I get the error message "System error 67 has occured. The network name cannot be found."

Comparing the two host machines, I cannot find the difference in settings that would cause the second host/guest machines not to see shared drives. I also disabled the host firewall, but no change.

Please advise as to what configuration settings I might be missing to change. Thanks.
rkb

Post by rkb »

I have upgraded to 5.0.10 r104061 with a Windows 10 host and I get the error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Linux.

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
As I think of it I don't recall it ever working on Windows 10.

Ideas?
joshg253
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Linux Mint, Ubuntu Server, Arch, various others

Post by joshg253 »

rkb wrote:I have upgraded to 5.0.10 r104061 with a Windows 10 host and I get the error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Linux.

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
As I think of it I don't recall it ever working on Windows 10.

Ideas?
This happened to me when I first upgraded to Windows 10 RTM -- make sure Win10 didn't go ahead and install & enable Hyper-V for you. :\
traja47
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: win7 pro 64 bits

Post by traja47 »

Windows 10 virtual machines now available on Microsoft Edge Dev

By Anton Molleda
105SHARES SHARE TWEET SHARE
Today, we have updated the Microsoft Edge Dev site with major fixes and new features, including Windows 10 virtual machines with Microsoft Edge and a faster, clearer platform roadmap. With these features, we are excited to remove the “Beta” tag from Microsoft Edge Dev, and will be redirecting modern.ie to our new home.

Test your site in Microsoft Edge with free Windows 10 virtual machines

Windows 10 virtual machines are now available with the latest updates to Microsoft Edge and the underlying web platform. With this release, we have automated the process we use to create the virtual machines, so future updates will be available more quickly as the platform is updated. By popular demand, we’ll also be supporting new formats for VMs, starting with Vagrant boxes (with VirtualBox) and QEMU. You can expect to see these starting in the coming weeks. We are also continuing to work on making Microsoft Edge available via Azure RemoteApp and will provide further updates as we make progress.

question
a) has anyone tested this file available on microsoft web site?
thanks in advance
Attachments
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (87.89 KiB) Viewed 10868 times
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

traja47 wrote:question
a) has anyone tested this file available on microsoft web site?
thanks in advance
answer
a) Yes.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
nekopa

Post by nekopa »

Hi All,
I haven't gone through all 32 pages of this thread, but I had similar problems:

Windows 10 did the major upgrade and VBox wouldn't start at all, and it wouldn't even get far enough to leave me any error logs. Luckily, by browsing through this thread and another thread (the one on hardening issues) this is what fixed it for me:

PC: Acer aspire v10 nitro black edition, Intel i7-4710HQ @ 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD
OS: Windows Home 10, version 1511, build 10586.0 (upgraded from win 8.1 to win 10, then just got the big win 10 update on Sunday 6th Dec 2015)
VBox: Originally version 4.xx, working fine with vagrant, win 10 host and ubuntu64 VMs (data-science box from vagrant atlas, but reconfigured to run Xubuntu in Gui mode)

Fix:
From this link: (won't let me post the link because I have a new account :( but it was a stackoverflow post with the following title: "failed-to-open-create-the-internal-network-vagrant-on-windows10"

Specifically this command worked when I downloaded VirtualBox-5.0.11-104061-Win.exe

C:\Users\Me\Downloads>VirtualBox-5.0.11-104061-Win.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5

No reboot needed, found all my VMs and everything came up perfectly.

I hope this helps someone...