Windows 10 Hosts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Lanti

Re: Windows 10 Hosts

Post by Lanti »

I got the following error message when I try to create a host-only adapter in virtualbox.exe or in the vboxmanage cli:

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\system32>vboxmanage hostonlyif create
0%...
Progress state: E_FAIL
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage.exe: error: Code E_FAIL (0x80004005) - Unspecified error (extended info not available)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "enum RTEXITCODE __cdecl handleCreate(struct HandlerArg *)" at line 70 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp
The created host-only adapter will be presented in Windows (with automatic IP addresses), but never in Virtualbox.

This is same with the latest stable and testing 5.0.x releases also. I'm using Windows 10 official final release.

NEEDS URGENT FIX!
schrauber

Post by schrauber »

13bgarli wrote:
schrauber wrote:Hi @all

newly registered here, because I have a strange problem with win10 host and vbox5.

I can start and run all existing VMs perfectly fine. But I am unable to create a new VM. I create it, choose settings, and start it for the first time. When I click on the folder icon to choose an iso, the vm crashes and is gone. Tried it 10 times now, also tried to mount the iso directly. The vm will not recognize the mounted drive.

Any ideas? :)

edit:
Error Code
Für die virtuelle Maschine englisch konnte keine neue Sitzung eröffnet werden.

The VM session was aborted.

Fehlercode:E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponente:SessionMachine
Interface:ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}

Cheers,
Tom
I have the exact same issue as you do schrauber, I've tried it on my desktop as well as my Surface Pro 2 and both result in not being able to select an ISO from that initial ISO selection dialog upon first startup. However, you can go into the VM settings and mount an ISO directly from within those settings into the CD Drive which will work fine. It's not a problem of it not accepting the selected ISO, it just literally crashes when you click the icon to select an ISO from your file system (before the system selection dialog appears). My surface didn't even have an old version of VirtualBox on it (I thought that may have been the issue) but it still does the same exact thing.

Hopefully this gets helps get this resolved soon.

Thanks,
Brandon
Hi Brandon,

this did the trick, thanks! Mounting the iso in the settings works fine. But as soon as you click the folder icon to choose an iso, vm crashes and is gone. So, the ISO (name, place, whatever) can't be the culprit. Now I can work again, thanks :)
schrauber

Post by schrauber »

mpack wrote:@scrauber:

Have you tried an MD5 checksum test on the ISO?

If that doesn't solve the problem then where is the ISO located? Precise path please. I want to know if it's on a local drive vs network vs USB drive, I want to know if the ISO is in a normal folder vs root folder, and I want to know if the path includes any accented characters.

Also, the size of the ISO image: exact size in bytes please.

If you have access to an earlier VirtualBox installation then it would be useful to know if that does something different.
Thanks for you answer :)

As explained above, mounting the iso in the settings works. It crashes when clicking the folder icon, I am just not able to choose an iso, it crashes before that window :)
13bgarli

Post by 13bgarli »

Hi Tom,

I'm glad that worked for you! I guess at least now I know I'm not the only one with that issue, I would guess that not everyone has this issue otherwise there'd be more complaints (you would think anyway) so there's something about our setups that makes it happen. I'll take a closer look when I get home from work today, I'm thinking it's got to be some software interacting with VB. It doesn't help that its such a generic error message too.

~Brandon
Last edited by 13bgarli on 31. Jul 2015, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Uh, guys... this is not a mailing list. There's no need to quote the entire original message when we can see it for ourselves, right above yours - or we could if we didn't have to scroll past the excessive quoting! Only use the quote feature if you wish to respond to a particular point, then only quote that point. Using @guysname is a good convention if you want to be clear on who you're talking to.
 Edit:  Thanks 13bgarli for editing your post. 
seb2

Post by seb2 »

mpack wrote:Or, maybe you simply didn't enable 2D acceleration and/or didn't install the Guest Additions?

I say this because you don't mention the Guest Additions, though you do mention the extension pack - which is not relevant to guest performance.
  • Extension pack == plugin for VirtualBox host application (adds extra non FOSS features to host app).
  • Guest Additions == VM-aware device driver package for guest, necessary for best guest OS performance. Only available for supported guest Operating Systems.

Hi mpack, thx for response, I re-check it I've the good guest addition same version that host. If I'm alone it's maybe a driver problem on my host, I try with another sound card but same problem. the strangest thing is that one really has the impression that videos play in slow motion, even the seconds scroll slowly. And on Windows 8.1 the same virtual machines work well, linux or Windows. and It's not only streamed video it's all video like mkv or avi
Kopmeister

Post by Kopmeister »

Trying to launch an Android VM for the first time and getting this
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Android .

The virtual machine 'Android ' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\Alex\VirtualBox VMs\Android_\Logs\VBoxStartup.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

Any ideas?
GKrumm

Post by GKrumm »

Hey,

I recently upgraded from Win 8.1 32-bit Pro to Windows 10 32-bit Pro by keeping all settings and programs, but all my virtual machines do not work anymore. I even added new "empty" VMs (Ubuntu, WinXP, Win 3.1), but in the end they all show the same error message:

The virtual machine 'WinXP' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'D:\Program Files\Winxp\WinXP\Logs\VBoxStartup.log'.

Fehlercode:E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponente:MachineWrap
Interface:IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

It makes me thinking that even new VMs could not be started, although they did not contain any data/connections/devices.

I used first the last working version 4.3.28, then upgraded to 4.3.30 and finally to 5.0.0. I even deinstalled the version and reinstalled the newest one. Neither of them could start the VMs. A recovery image of the VM did not work either. I checked shared connections, lost disk images and so on. VMs cannot be started. I also disabled antivirus software and looked up Windows Defender settings.

I atttached the VBoxStartup.log, from which I cannot withdraw any information with my knowledge. Does anybody face similar problems?
Attachments
VBoxStartup.log
(43.31 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Ted-N

Post by Ted-N »

Upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro to WIn 10 Pro. Went fine. VirtualBox starts up with no errors, but when I try to start my Win 7 guest I get:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win7.

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_LDR_MISMATCH_NATIVE).

Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Everything else looks to be running fine on Win 10. Using VirtualBox 5 and it tells me I am running the newest version when I have it check for updates.
anserk

Post by anserk »

I had the same issue as many of posters here - upgraded to Windows 10 final, and sound stopped working in my guest Windows 7 VMs. This VB 5.0. I tried reinstalling VB to no avail. However, what worked for me was uninstalling guest additions (I got the sound already at this point when rebooting) and installing them again.

Can't speak for Linux guests as I don't use GUI or sound there.

Update: the sound stopped working again all of a sudden. It's definitely an issue with VirtualBox + Windows 10.

Update 2: the sound sometimes starts working if I remove/reinsert USB device attached to VM.
Epinion

Post by Epinion »

I have similar problem too. I upgrade from Windows 7 64bit Pro to Windows 10 64bit Pro version 10240. And my Bridged and host-only cannot detect anything. My workaround for now is to use NAT, which I don't prefer it though. Hope there is fix soon for this matter. Tried several way in the forum without luck.

Best Regards,
Epinion
domoradz

Post by domoradz »

blueboyggh wrote:did not work on win10 10240

The host is Windows 10 build 10240,when I try to open a VM,it shows: VirtualBox Error "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ........."

and here is the LOGs

help me plz!
Having same problem here... any fix for this issue?
Thank you.
Esowteric

Post by Esowteric »

Everything worked fine in Windows 7 but in Windows 10 release, the bridged adapter won't automatically install (tried 4.3.30-101610 and the test build 4.3.31-101881).

A manual install produces an incorrect success message, but though the updated driver is to be found in system32/drivers, it's not in the list of installable services to manually add to an Ethernet or Wifi adapter.

Running as admin, reinstall VB and repair VB made no difference. Have had to swap from bridged adapter to NAT to launch the guest, so at least I then have internet access.
Mechelen

Post by Mechelen »

On system updated from Win8.1 (Home) to Win10, I randomly (not always) get error box:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu15.04x64.
Cannot load R0 module C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VBoxDD2R0.r0: SUPR3LoadModule: supLoadModule returned VERR_LDR_MISMATCH_NATIVE (VERR_LDR_MISMATCH_NATIVE).
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Worked consistently prior to update to Win10.
Gamekiller

Post by Gamekiller »

Hello Guys,
I recently Upgraded to windows 10.Before that I was using VBox in win8.1 as host and ubuntu as a guest it worked perfectly .All three apdapters NAT,Host only and Bridged worked perfectly.
But after i upgraded to windows 10 I can't find my NIC names under Host only and Bridged connection.
I tried uninstalling ,reintalling and few tricks given in internet.
Please help me is it a bug or what ?
Enlighten Me...
I have attached the screenshots below...
Attachments
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png (28.06 KiB) Viewed 15820 times
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png (29.31 KiB) Viewed 15820 times