All online/offline media have no sound

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CodeNUC

All online/offline media have no sound

Post by CodeNUC »

Hi all,

Need some help regarding the title.
So my PC is the new intel NUC5i7RYH with 16GB RAM and a samsung 250gb evo m.2 SSD, running windows 8.1 pro.
I'm using a bluetooth speaker.

I have CentOS 7 and Lubuntu 15.04 installed as guest on my VB.
On both linux distro, i had guest additions installed with no errors.

Now, everytime i start any of the guest system, all the system(both guest and host) have no sound.
For offline media on host(i.e. VLC), there is no sound while the movie continues to play
For online media on host(i.e. Youtube), the videos load but unable to play and obviously also no sound.
All problems seems to be gone once i power down the linux guest.

As for the linux guest, there is also no sound at all for both online and offline media.
But one thing different from the host and guest is the youtube videos.
On the guest, the videos loads and plays without the sound while the host youtube videos loads but doesn't play.

Does anyone has any solution to this?
Thanks!!
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: All online/offline media have no sound

Post by noteirak »

Please read Minimum information needed for assistance - provide the VM log AND the guest settings please.

Without it, first guesses are that you could have missconfigured the audio in the VM config - changed the default settings maybe? Or maybe you didn't create the VM yourself?
Another possibility is that you have an USB filter configured in the VM which is a bit too generic and grabs your bluetooth adapter.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!