Sounds work, but ingame music doesn't

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Lamecodename
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 98

Sounds work, but ingame music doesn't

Post by Lamecodename »

So, I've installed the newest Oracle VM VirtualBox, installed Windows 98 inside it, linked the shared folder up so I can transfer files from my computer, Installed and verified Scitech, even figured out how to link up the cd drive from my laptop to a passive iso inside VirtualBox, and it took me a loooong time :p

So I can install my old games, run them (using passive means Windows 98 virtualbox recognises that the cd game is in my laptop - meaning it will let me play the games now) and yeah I've been playing some old games... My problem is that the sound effects play, but the background music that I remember from my childhood doesn't...

I tried to "use AC97 audio download the Realtek AC97 Windows 95 driver (not the 98se one) then extract it and use the device manager to install it" however the 95 driver doesn't want to work on the Windows 98 I have emulated, so I tried the windows 98 one(deleting soundblaster 16 then installing AC97 audio dowload Windows98 version) but still no music. I've tried Soundblaster 16, deleting it then reinstating it (both times also changing the Audio setting in the Virtualbox console settings so when I tried to unistall and reinstall soundblaster I did change it in the console and the same with AC97) and still no fix.

If the answer is the AC97 windows 95 instalation, how do I get WIndows 98 to use it?
Or is there another way? I'd really like your advice
Lamecodename

Re: Sounds work, but ingame music doesn't

Post by Lamecodename »

Got an idea, gonna look for an alternative sound driver that is compatible with windows 98 and hope it will work once installed in virtualbox
jorgensen
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Music in games is normally by MIDI, and Windows 98 does not have MIDI, but reliant on the e.g. Soundblaster cards own MIDI.
You can either install a MIDI synthesizer like Yamaha XG, or use the AC97 driver which has built in MIDI.
To use the Realtek AC97 driver, you have to extract the files from the Windows 95 installation file by e.g. WinRAR, add it to an ISO file and mount it to the guest - then it should be possible to update the driver via Device Manager or similar.
Remember to use snapshot, to rewind if something goes wrong.
Lamecodename

Post by Lamecodename »

I installed yamaha XG but nothing happened. Also, the problem I'm having with the Realtek AC97 driver Windows 95 installation file is, even when I change it into an iso, the emulated windows 98 still sees it as windows 95 and says it can't install. I've tried the windows 98 version of AC97 and nothing. I've also brought up Device Manager after installing the yamaha XG and it doesn't come up on the subsection of "Sound, video and game controllers" it's like it never existed...
My problem in a nutshell is that Windows 98 in virtualbox on my Windows 7 laptop has Windows DirectSoundBlaster 16 installed and working, but for some reason on my old games, the sounds work, but the ingame music doesn't.
I've tried reinstalling Soundblaster 16, I've tried using AC97 instead, I installed the windows 98 version and I got no sound at all, I tried to install both the setup file of the AC97 for windows 95 and an iso of the AC97 windows 95 setup file but both times was told "you're on windows 98, it can't install because of that"
I just don't know what to do, I've tried everything I can... :( :cry: :roll:
jorgensen
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

As told, you must extract the driver files from the Win95 installation file, and install them with the Device Manager or Windows automatic driver installation - and not with Realtek installation program.
Lamecodename

Post by Lamecodename »

Okaaay, thanks :) for an idiot like me, could you bother and give me step by step instructions? I'm not the best at computing, although I got this far :D
Lamecodename

Post by Lamecodename »

Edit: got it working :D so HAPPY
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds002311
Use the install wizard, then change it to AC97 in the actual virtualbox, then it should auto-find it when you log on, go down the dropdown menus so you have:
C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\Realtekaudio\q5aud15us13
after you've done that, both the music and sound effects ingame should work :D
omg so happy :D
danklambsauce

Post by danklambsauce »

Can you tell me how you did it exactly, but in steps like 1., 2., 3., etc?
Last edited by socratis on 16. Feb 2018, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@danklambsauce
The last visit from "Lamecodename" was in 2015-06-08, so I highly doubt that you're going to get a reply. You better start following the instructions already posted...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rwkhwk

Post by rwkhwk »

I'm 5 years past the original post date and 2 years past the last post, but it seems like danklambsauce never got a clear answer so I thought I'd post some clearer instructions for anyone who still needs info. I'm running VirtualBox 6.1.0 r135406 for reference:
  • 0. I'm going to skip over the OS install, but start with your VM shut down
    1. Before starting your VM, make sure you've downloaded the driver linked in Lamecodename's post. If that link doesn't work, I'll link the AC97 driver in .ISO format here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wZwbiS ... sp=sharing (In my case it was easier to mount an ISO than to get Guest Additions working and sharing folders)
    2. Start up your Win95/98 VM
    3. Either mount the ISO or share the folder that contains your AC97 driver, then do as the install wizard says
    4. After the install completes, shut down your VM
    5. Right-click your Win95/98 VM in the VB Manager window, choose Settings
    6. Select the Audio tab from the left pane
    • 6a. Make sure Enable audio is checked
      6b. Go to the Host Audio Driver dropdown and choose Windows DirectSound if it's not already selected
      6c. Go to the Audio Controller dropdown and choose ICH AC97
      6d. Next to Extended Features, make sure Enable Audio Output is checked
    7. Click OK to save your changes
    8. Start up your Win95/98 VM
    9. On startup the Plug and Play window should see your new audio device
    • 9a. If you've messed with AC97 before then Windows might not automatically pull up the PnP dialog. If this happens, you can open up Control Panel, start the Add New Hardware wizard, and start the process there. I can't tell you exactly what the device you're looking for is called, but it should mention audio and should not reference Sound Blaster.
    10. Referencing Lamecodename's post, in the PnP dialog you'll hit the Browse button next to the dropdown that reads "A:\". If a format dialog pops up, decline it. Navigate to C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\Realtekaudio\q5aud15us13\Win95 and continue the driver install
    11. Reboot if you need to, then make sure you can hear system sounds before starting your game (to make sure there's no problem with the driver itself)
    12. Start your game and check for audio
Note: some games are extra picky. If game audio doesn't play right away, go up to the Devices menu, then the Audio sub-menu, then toggle Audio Output off and back on.

I can't guarantee that this method will work for all setups, or for all games; but it did get audio going on the handful of games that I tried.

Hope this helps!
LeoMyFriend

Post by LeoMyFriend »

Thanks for the step-by-step! Seems I've joined in just in time.

I've got system sounds working, and some of the sound effects work, but it seems the game is struggling to play the CD Audio specifically. Any idea what could be the problem? Video attached.

And the sound effects are, ah, less than stellar. I followed your steps as closely as possible.

I can't post links yet, so add this to the end of your youtube address: watch?v=F9OOQMsThQc