Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.3.28 -- Error 1303

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tendo
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows xp

Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.3.28 -- Error 1303

Post by tendo »

I tried to upgrade to VBox 4.3.28 today. The new version uninstalled the old version and now the new version will not install on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I get the following error:
The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Oracle VM VirtualBox.
The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator.
1. I have admin rights on the PC
2. I have Full Control to the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
3. I have installed other programs on the PC and they have no issues accessing and writing to the above folder
4. I have run system restore to the last available restore point - not helped
5. I have installed older versions of virtualbox 4.1.x - same problem
6. removed USB support and Bridged Network support - same issue
7. If I manually create the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Oracle VM VirtualBox, I get the error
An error occured while attempting to create the directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Oracle VM VirtualBox
which demonstrates that I have access to the folder.
8. I can confirm that there are no running process related to VirtualBox. No remnants of VBox installation either.
9. renamed folders VirtualBox VMs and .VirtualBox to old.VirtualBox VMs and old..VirtualBox respectively.

Nothing I have done so far has allowed me to install VirtualBox on my computer.

System Specs
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
Dell Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
8.00 GB Ram
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.3.28 -- Error 1303

Post by scottgus1 »

1. Undo the rename of the Virtualbox VMs and .Virtualbox folders. When you do get the install working those folders will be read to re-register your present guests.
2. I don't believe any user can write into ProgramData, so having the error in your point #7 isn't surprising.
3. Be sure your host OS is not set to silently reject drivers.
4. Right-click the Virtualbox installer and choose "Run as Administrator", then complete the install. Report back what happens.
tendo

Post by tendo »

Thank you for your help scottgus1.

I have followed your instructions and the same error happens still. I don't know how to check on Win7 if it's set to silently reject drivers but I connected a new device today and the drivers installed OK.

I have also done some further tests detailed below. After every point, I tried to install different versions of VirtualBox with the same error.

1. Right click on installation file > Properties > Compatibility
  • [x] Run this program as an administrator
1.1 Right click on installation file > Properties > Compatibility
  • [x] Run this program as an administrator
  • [x] Run this program in compatibility mode for:
  • XP/Vista/7 - All return the same problem
2. Run installation as administrator and choose not to install USB support or Networking

3. Control Panel > Device Manager
  • Network Adapters: Uninstalled VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
  • Other devices: Uninstalled SM Bus Controller and Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller. Both have yellow markers next to them.
  • Universal Serial Bus controllers: Nothing here with a yellow marker. Nothing VBox related
4. Dissabled anti-virus
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You shouldn't need to run Virtualbox in compatibility mode. And I'm not quite certain, but this:
1. Right click on installation file > Properties > Compatibility
[x] Run this program as an administrator
may not be the same as this:
Right-click the Virtualbox installer and choose "Run as Administrator"
I meant this:
RunAsAdminMenu.png
RunAsAdminMenu.png (14.7 KiB) Viewed 7143 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Also, since error 1303 happens during the install, it would then be an installer error, not a Virtualbox error. Did you google for "installer error 1303"? I found a few interesting things. Sounds like the permissions on your Windows are messed up a little, which would have to be fixed to get anything to install the way Virtualbox needs to.
tendo

Re: Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.3.28 -- Error 1303 [SOLVED]

Post by tendo »

Thanks for your help again scottgus1. I am glad to say that I have found what was causing the issue.

A user called SYSTEM must have full access to the ProgramData folder for installation to work. Below are the steps for giving SYSTEM access to the folder.

1. Right click on the ProgramData folder and go to properties

2. On the Security tab, click the Edit button followed by the Add button on the next screen.

3. In the text box that says, 'Enter the object names to select (examples):', type SYSTEM and click OK.

Now you can install VirtualBox. I hope this helps someone with a similar problem
Last edited by tendo on 19. May 2015, 11:05, edited 2 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Excellent! Glad you got it fixed.
I'd recommend adding a [SOLVED] tag to your first post's subject so others can see there's a solution.
Aram

Post by Aram »

Im having a problem trying to install this software... I've previously use the VM using the same PC but as the Windows updates later it causes my VM to go crush. Trying to reinstall again but kind of getting this error... "Could not write value to key \software\classes*******" . Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel"
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Aram
This is an ancient thread (in terms of software) dealing with VirtualBox 4.3.28. There is no chance that you're facing the same problem as this thread is dealing with.

Please open a new thread and explain your issue clearly. Start with the basics; Host, Guest, VirtualBox. Complete versions, revisions, builds.
- "Ubuntu" is *not* a complete version
- "Win10" is *not* a complete version
- "the latest" is *not* a complete version.

Locking this dead thread...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.