Windows 1.6.1 OSE Build Additions Install

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gcstang

Windows 1.6.1 OSE Build Additions Install

Post by gcstang »

Where do you put the files under the bin/Additions in order to install them to the Guest OS? I've successfully created the binaries from the source for the Windows platform, but there are no instructions on how to install and run the Additions created by the binary build.

Can these be manually placed to certain locations or does an installer need to be created?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
zwj200d

Post by zwj200d »

In the case of Windows guests samwise frequently suggests:
Have you tried Byron Clark's VirtualBox OSE Windows Guest Additions Installer?

It doesn't currently with shared folders, tho ...
VirtualBox_OSE_GuestAdditions-1.5.4-0.exe from VirtualBox OSE Windows Guest Additions Installer at GoogleCode is the latest release as of this post.

There have been a number of releases but one for 1.6 has not yet appeared. You might try contacting Byron directly for help with your immediate question. Perhaps samwise knows how to contact him.

I also forward to an answer to:
...how to install and run the Additions created by the binary build.
Thanks for asking.

On another subject:
There have been lots of requests made (on a number of the forums here) asking for Windows binaries for VB_OSE.

Would you be willing to share your work? There are a number of steps involved (documented elsewhere) that need to be taken to make it "properly" available to the community. But I'm certain such a contribution would be greatly appreciated.

I would be happy to help with some of the practical details. But I really don't have time to spare these days to repeat work you have already done.

-ZW
samwise

Post by samwise »

'fraid I can't help with getting you in touch with Byron - I'm just a user of his work!

I would suggest you either try emailing him at byron.clark@gmail.com and/or raise an issue for the Google Code project, with an offer of help for getting out a new version.

Sam.
hanasaki

also on closed source 1.6 from sun - iso for guest additions

Post by hanasaki »

also on closed source 1.6 from sun - iso for guest additions is missing.
Where is it. Host is XP. guest is ubuntu.
samwise

Post by samwise »

gcstang

Latest on Status

Post by gcstang »

I've contacted byron and modified his script to put together the Guest Installer using the latest src from the repository, however shared folders doesn't work and according to byron hasn't for a while.

I wouldn't mind sharing however :

1. I don't have a place to serve it from
2. I really don't have a lot of time to conform to the GPL and ensure that I don't misuse or misrepresent what you would be downloading

Sorry, if someone had a location and could inform me of what needs to be done I could put a build up, however like I said shared folders don't work.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Is yours not just the next version of what Byron is putting together but with a more recent codebase? Would he be willing to host it as the next version of his project? Or is this where the GPL thing comes in - you may have picked up incompatible code somewhere along the way?

Dunno, just thinking out loud. Having two versions with authors who don't have a lot of time to spend on it, seems less preferable than you both working on the same codebase?

But, hey, wha'do I know?!

Sam.
zwj200d

Post by zwj200d »

Byron says he expects to release VirtualBox_OSE_GuestAdditions-1.6.0.exe in the next few weeks. It would be good to coordinate with him on making the Windows Guest Additions available if possible.

gcstang says:
I wouldn't mind sharing however :

1. I don't have a place to serve it from
2. I really don't have a lot of time to conform to the GPL and ensure that I don't misuse or misrepresent what you would be downloading

Sorry, if someone had a location and could inform me of what needs to be done I could put a build up, however like I said shared folders don't work.
If you want to share the whole Windows build (not just the guest extentions) I would be happy to help work thru the issues you mention.

-ZW
gcstang

Yes I would like to share the whole build

Post by gcstang »

The build I would share would be based on the latest SVN sources not a particular release.

This would make it easier for others to be able to access that as long as it builds then the latest would be available without anyone else having to setup the same environment.

However the issues I mentioned would need to be worked out and in compliance with all VB licensing requirements.
zwj200d

Post by zwj200d »

As long as your build can refer back to a specific "Rev/Chgset" from the repository, the requirements of the GPL2 for source availability are covered (for now). Technically Sun is only required to make available code from which binaries they have released can be built. So we would need to work out a contingency to continue meeting GPL requirements in the event that access to that "Rev/Chgset" were to go away. There are some other (serious) details to discuss but this covers the basics.

A bigger issue is what to call it. The name "Virtual Box" is a trademark. It belongs to Sun. They request anyone intending to "redistribute the Open Source Edition" to contact them. We need to do that and listen very closely to what they have to say, especially about the "Virtual Box" trademark. If you want to proceed that should probably be our first step.

I mention LinuxTracker in the quote below as a possible distribution mechanism. There are many other possibilities.

There are some other things to think about too. How long and how often do you want to do this? I've heard there is a 1.6.2 release in the works.
There is likely to be even more demand for OSE binaries that correspond to non OSE releases.

Doing this as a one off is just fine. A great contribution and I'll still want to help. But it is important for you to anticipate being asked to do it again, and have your answer ready. I'm just an adviser, you got the goods.

All this may take awhile. Possibly until after 1.6.2 is released. But it is important to do it right or not at all. Infact "not-at-all" will remain an option until we are done.

Let me know if you want to go for it.

-ZW

Below are some quotes of an earlier an answer I wrote under "VirtualBox OSE binaries for Windows for download?"
===============================
They also make available the source code repository back to v1.3.2 so you are still sort of covered. But if you release the what you eMailed to mober to the general public you really should provide reasonably detailed instructions for finding exactly the source for whatever older version your binary was built from.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a rough correspondence of version release dates to change sets in the source code repository:
Code:

Code: Select all

Rev     Chgset        Date           Author    Log Message
                                        -----   -----   -----------------   --------   -----------

VirtualBox 1.6.0 (released 2008-04-30)  @8462   [8462]   04/29/08 15:14:07     vboxsync     sync debian
VirtualBox 1.5.6 (released 2008-02-19)  @6332   [6332]   01/10/08 16:54:54     vboxsync     sync deb
                     ???                @5478   [5478]   10/24/07 11:53:04     vboxsync     debian ose 1.5.51
VirtualBox 1.5.4 (released 2007-12-29)  @6205   [6205]   12/28/07 16:31:35     vboxsync     deb: sync
                     ???                @5452   [5452]   10/23/07 21:55:23     vboxsync     virtualbox-ose package name
VirtualBox 1.5.2 (released 2007-10-18)  @5256   [5256]   10/12/07 08:54:15     vboxsync     sync
VirtualBox 1.5.0 (released 2007-09-03)  @4315   [4315]   08/23/07 16:32:48     vboxsync     sync
                 revlog start -2        @3851   [3851]   07/25/07 18:40:27     vboxsync     OSE debian fixes
                 revlog start -1        @3848   [3848]   07/25/07 18:10:38     vboxsync     reexport
                 Repository Starts:     @3846   [3846]   07/25/07 18:08:17     vboxsync     export new debian/ directory
VirtualBox 1.4.0 (released 2007-06-06)   N.A.
VirtualBox 1.3.8 (released 2007-03-14)   N.A.
VirtualBox 1.3.6 (released 2007-02-20)   N.A.
VirtualBox 1.3.4 (released 2007-02-12)   N.A.
VirtualBox 1.3.2 (released 2007-01-15)   N.A.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have modified the source in any way you need to be careful what you call it. See: Licensing_FAQ

If you haven't changed anything I think it is okay to call it "VirtualBox OSE" with a version number close to that of the corresponding NonOSE release. You certainly shouldn't call it just "Virtual Box". But IANAL so I recommend using the contact link in this quote from the download page.
Quote:

We do request that anyone intending to redistribute the Open Source Edition contact us first.
I've noticed that VDIs of some linux distros have been made available via bitTorrent at LinuxTracker. I expect they wouldn't object to facilitating distribution of binaries to run those VDIs under M$Windows.