VM Window can't be resized

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AlfredoCJ

VM Window can't be resized

Post by AlfredoCJ »

A few days ago, I bought a SSD for my laptop. I installed Win7 and Virtualbox, but I had a severe problem when I try to use it.
The window of all VM are in the minimum size, I can't resize (I resize with the mouse and when I release the button, it resize to the minimum size).
When I select full screen, the windows hidden and I had in the task bar but I can't used.
I used different versions (4.X) and configurations but only can see a progress bar in 0% (this progress bar never move to other %), the text of this window is "Creating process for virtual machine "VM" (GUI/Qt)... (1/2)".
I don't know what can I do... help me please.
Sorry for my english, bye.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: VM Window can't be resized

Post by loukingjr »

see this thread…
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66738
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
nut75

Post by nut75 »

Since Virtualbox 4.3.14 this issue is very widespread and the "sfc /scannow" solution is not good on all PCs.
"sfc /scannow" modifies your Windows' files and not Virtualbox's files that cause the issue.
I suggest you installing VirtualBox 4.3.12, which is (according to me and a lot of users) the best and stablest version in last 6 months.
VB 4.3.14 and latest versions introduced too many bugs never solved. I'm a VB's user since Version 2 and the software growth was great year after year, but since 4.3.14 something strange should be happened in developer's team.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

nut75 wrote:Since Virtualbox 4.3.14 this issue is very widespread and the "sfc /scannow" solution is not good on all PCs.
"sfc /scannow" modifies your Windows' files and not Virtualbox's files that cause the issue.
I suggest you installing VirtualBox 4.3.12, which is (according to me and a lot of users) the best and stablest version in last 6 months.
VB 4.3.14 and latest versions introduced too many bugs never solved. I'm a VB's user since Version 2 and the software growth was great year after year, but since 4.3.14 something strange should be happened in developer's team.
First, the issue is not "very wide spread".
not true. first of all sfc /scannow existed long before VirtualBox and is used to correct and/or replace missing or corrupted Windows system files.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/ ... wsignin1.0

I should add the issue with VirtualBox above 4.3.12 on Windows hosts has nothing to do with resizing screens.
You shouldn't state something as fact when you have no idea what the facts are.
Last edited by loukingjr on 31. Mar 2015, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
nut75

Post by nut75 »

loukingjr wrote:
nut75 wrote:Since Virtualbox 4.3.14 this issue is very widespread and the "sfc /scannow" solution is not good on all PCs.
First, the issue is not "very wide spread".
not true. first of all sfc /scannow existed long before VirtualBox and is used to correct and/or replace missing or corrupted Windows system files.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/ ... wsignin1.0

You shouldn't state something as fact when you have no idea what the facts are.
I tryed helping an user experiencing an issue that is causing a strange guest's windows behavior on a lot of PCs (yes... a lot... since Virtualbox 4.3.14, and this forum has a lot of users experiencing this issue), saying him that "sfc /scannow" is not a VB repairing tool, but it can modify his Windows' system files (and you confirmed that) and, on my PC caused some problems (Windows' problems, not related to VB).
Is this a problem for you? My sentences could not be clear, because english is not my language, but I have idea what the facts are. I'm following both Virtualbox and users feedbacks (not only in official forum) and bad moods increased with latest versions.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

You are mistaken.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Nut75, I agree with you that the "sfc scannow" solution isn't always the silver bullet it is supposed to be (really messed up a Windows 8.1 tablet I had). I would rather like to know what the problem actually is, myself, as in what file was damaged that sfc supposedly fixed, rather than what Band-Aid needs to always be used.

I also agree with Lou, that there have been some users that have been affected by this issue, not tons. And "sfc scannow" seems to fix the issue. Personally, I firmly believe in backups. The tablet I mentioned above had several backups and I had it up and running in a half hour after the sfc fiasco. Seen on Web: "Anoyone who doesn't have at least two off-site backups of his data doesn't really care about the data." Chant with me, all: "Backup Backup Backup..."

But how to describe how many have been affected is semantics. One man's devastating earthquake is another man's speed bump. No need to argue over how the problem is described. Backup before trying what could be a system-wide change, and try it.

As for the issues in Virtualbox since 4.3.14, yes, they have been thorny. But the problem is a very thorny problem. Seems some programs can inject themselves into other programs. it's a common practice in Windows. Antivirus, themes, video drivers, etc., they all do it. So does malware. Antivirus, themes & video drivers we want to allow. Malware we don't, especially with Virtualbox running, since malware can do tons more damage getting into Virtualbox's privileged operation than it could if Virtualbox wasn't running. Seeing as Virtualbox ought to not be looked upon as a malware vehicle, the developers have attacked this issue aggressively. But how to decide whether a program is good or bad before allowing it to inject itself has been a tricky proposition, and it has taken a few wild-tested versions to get a closer handle on solving the problem. It's like a rough spot in a marriage between a devotedly-in-love man & woman - they'll change things for the better in the long run and work it out. No need for divorce, just ride out the storm & keep working together.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

@scottgus1 Please don't encourage him. The issue of this topic has nothing to do with the injection of unsigned .dlls which is what causes some to have issues with VB > 4.3.12. As I'm sure you know, the security issue causes VMs not to launch. Obviously the OP here who was having screen resizing issues had his VMs launch as did the others mentioned in the other threads.

I would also point out that the fact that running sfc /scannow "really messed up a Windows 8.1 tablet" you had could just have uncovered further problems, or couldn't run correctly because of the problem that caused you to run it in the first place. sfc /scannow is not a miracle cure for every problem that can occur with Windows. However it does fix the issue addressed here.

nut75 has obviously confused two separate issues.

Lastly, I would point out I have an Asus ZenBook running Windows 8.1 with VB 4.3.26 and running McAfee FileSafe and have neither the security issue mentioned elsewhere nor the resize screen issue mentioned here. Which is true of many others.
Last edited by loukingjr on 31. Mar 2015, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

In total agreement with you, Lou. Nut75 was expressing frustration at the troubles since 4.3.14, which forum readers would definitely be able to see isn't related to the screensize problem. Explaining the trouble with 4.3.14 & onward was to help Nut75 see that the developers haven't just gone south on us but are trying hard to fix the dll injection issue. Nut75's view of the trouble since 4.3.14 hopefully is more able to understand the trouble & wait with confidence for the final fix.

I haven't faced the screensize issue myself, but I'd be really curious to see what sfc scannow is fixing that clears it up.

As for the tablet, well, you know how computers our families use are always falling apart, but the computers we personally use last for years with no problems? It was my daughter's tablet, nuff said. :lol:
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

as far as Tablets, I use iPads. :P :D

edit: this was my main issue with what nut75 said…
really? ::smh::
nut75

Post by nut75 »

@ loukingjr

AlfredoCJ had an issue and someone told him the "sfc /scannow" solution.
I told him another solution: going back to 4.3.12 which is the last good and stable Virtualbox version (not only according to me).
He can choose between 2 ways to try to solve his problem.
If he manages solving, I'm happy for him. The end.

Your personal war with my point of view is not relevant for me, for AlfredoCJ and is not useful to anyone searching solutions in this forum. I haven't time to waste in personal disagreements and this is my last post here.

Have a nice day. Bye.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Unfortunately what you don't seem to understand is rolling back to VB 4.3.12 will not address his problem and is recommended for people who are having issues with the security aspects of VB.

For whatever reason you don't/can't/won't seem to understand that. Fixing issues isn't a matter of one's opinion and because rolling back to VB 4.3.12 addresses one problem it doesn't mean it addresses all problems.

You also don't understand that recommending rolling back to VB 4.3.12 can and will break newer Linux guests.

I am glad however it was your last post on this matter.
cdg

Post by cdg »

scottgus1 wrote:...I'd be really curious to see what sfc scannow is fixing that clears it up.
SFC (Windows Systems File Check) only repairs certain Windows system files. It does NOT repair ANY VirtualBox files. If SFC fixes this problem (which it apparently does), it indicates that installing VirtualBox has replaced one or more Windows system files with versions that do not work properly under Windows 7 (or at least under certain Windows 7 hardware and software configurations).

Based on this thread and others like it, I ran SFC AFTER installing VirtualBox, which did cure the screen sizing problem. If my reasoning is correct, running SFC BEFORE installing VirtualBox would be useless, as the VirtualBox installation creates the problem.

After running SFC, the c:\windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log shows what transpired, if you want to scan through 2.5 MB of cryptic output, and try to decipher it, please let us know what you find. I, too, am curious, but not enough to spend the time. :D
loukingjr wrote: ...rolling back to VB 4.3.12 will not address his problem...just because rolling back to VB 4.3.12 addresses one problem it doesn't mean it addresses all problems.
Rolling back to an earlier version of VirtualBox (that did NOT create this problem) would be a reasonable solution (just as rolling back to 4.3.24 fixes the bridged networking problem introduced with 4.3.26). But, yes, rolling back to an earlier version will reintroduce problems that were purportedly fixed in the current version. Each person has to decide which problem is worse for them.

Note also that SFC might create other problems, if you (or applications you've installed) have modified Windows systems files. Earlier versions of SFC would actually replace any updated system files with the originals, which would trigger hours and hours of Windows Updates afterwards. SFC will also report that it found problems it couldn't fix, without providing any detail. These flaws have given SFC a poor reputation for fixing problems.
Last edited by cdg on 19. May 2015, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
cdg

Post by cdg »

loukingjr wrote:this was my main issue with what nut75 said…
really? ::smh::
You should be shaking your head, violently, because the statement to which you take exception is factual, if poorly expressed (Nut75 is apparently not a native English speaker).

SFC indeed modifies (i.e. adds, repairs or replaces) Windows system files, NOT VirtualBox files that (apparently) cause the issue (since the problem doesn't occur until VirtualBox is installed, and doesn't occur in any program/application besides VirtualBox).

Your reply and purported refutation of this simple statement actually states the same thing, making one wonder if English is also not your native language!

Similarly, your taking umbrage at the suggestion to roll-back to an earlier version of VirtualBox (in which the problem did not occur) is misplaced. To paraphrase your other comment: Just because there are other problems with the current version, doesn't mean that there aren't additional problems.

In short, there was absolutely NO reason to attack Nut75, or devote so much space to your anger.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

cdg wrote: In short, there was absolutely NO reason to attack Nut75, or devote so much space to your anger.
I neither attacked Nut75 nor was I angry. I disagreed with what he said about VirtualBox being the cause. Had you looked at the first link I posted you would have seen another user with the same problem as the OP fixed it by running SFC.

If disagreeing constitutes an angry attack to you, so be it. :mrgreen: