Windows 10 Build 10041 - Bridged Network Can't See Ethernet

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
admars

Re: Windows 10 Build 10041 - Bridged Network Can't See Ether

Post by admars »

due to Win 10 and VirtualBox not playing nicely together, I thought I'd give the free vmware player a go, I had to use an old version as my host is 32bit Win10, later versions are 64 bit only :(

Anyway, that worked nicely up until the recent build which included Project Spartan :(

a mate on another forum posted this link after I posted about my issues...
VirtualBox 5.0 Will Bring Disk Image Encryption, Paravirtualization Support for Linux and Windows Guests
softpedia news

(can't post the actual link)
Beta 1 of Oracle VirtualBox 5.0 is now ready for testing
Anyone been brave enough to try this one yet?
Long weekend, good excuse to back up the Win10 host, install new VBox beta see what happens, and swear lots ;) When I get round to it, I'll let you know what happens, if I can ;)
admars

Post by admars »

well, I downloaded it, tried to install it, it starts to install, then it rolls back ths changes and says it can't install :(

at least it doesn't appear to have broken anything.

when it installs it asks if you want NDIS 5 or 6 drivers, it defaulted to 6, so I left it at that, it says that's for Vista onwards.
cdg

Post by cdg »

Further to the "bridged network" problem reported:

I have Virtual Box 4.3.24 installed on Windows 10 TP, both the 32 and 64-bit versions. Other than having to re-install VB after each new build update, it has performed well through and including build 9926.

After updating to build 10041, I received the following error message when I tried to start the Virtual Machine: "Could not start the machine Windoze XP because the following physical network interfaces were not found: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (adapter 1). You can either change the machine's network settings or stop the machine."

I changed "bridged adaptor" to "NAT" and the Virtual Machine started, but it "could not connect all network drives" (or access the Internet).

I tried to switched back to "bridged adaptor", but the option is no longer available. It say there is no network adaptor. And Internet search indicated the solution to this condition is to repair install or [remove and] reinstall.

I tried a repair install followed by restart. It didn't help.

I tried to remove and reinstall Virtual Box. The "bridged adapter" option was now available, but the Virtual Machine won't start the VM because VB can't find Realtek Adaptor (which was the original problem)!!! Also, we no longer have any networking on the host computer, whether within or without the virtual machine.

I restored the host computer system from a backup, which returned me to the original problem described above.

I then downloaded Virtual Box 4.3.26, extension pack and guest additions! When I tried to install it, the installation hangs at ~ 80-90%. Can't cancel or restart without hard boot. And then, no Internet, no network, and no USB.

I restored the host computer system from a backup, and am waiting for a solution to this problem.

From these forums, it appears that build 10049 does not solve the problem, nor does VB 4.3.27. :(

Additionally, installing Virtual Box 4.3.26 on a Windows 7 machine also results in loss of networking, although uninstalling it solves the problem (unlike under Windows 10, where a system restore is needed). VB 4.3.24 can still be installed on Windows 7. This indicates that the problem everyone is reporting is not just a Windows 10 problem, but something in Virtual Box 4.3.26.

The problem described still exists with Windows 10TP Build 10061, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
The problem described still exists with Windows 10TP Build 10074, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

The problem described still exists with Virtual Box 4.3.28! Installing with Bridged Networking on Windows 7 or Windows 10 results in a loss of networking on the host machine. Installing it without bridged networking works.
Last edited by cdg on 15. May 2015, 17:22, edited 4 times in total.
cybershawngates

Post by cybershawngates »

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/20/84560 ... claims-amd

they have 3 months to get this fully working lol
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Wanted to chime in with 2 notes:

1) VirtualBox won't install for me, if Bridged networking is selected in the installer. The installer rolls back actions, even on Windows 10 Build 10061, and even using the VirtualBox test release version released today, Oracle VirtualBox v4.3.27 Test Build 99779. I have been able to unselect Bridged networking, and then the installation completes without error.

2) My main networking issues that I was having with Windows 10, were caused by network drivers for my Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet. Windows 10 ships with: 15.6.1.2, 1/29/2013, published by Microsoft Windows. But that version has a race condition that makes the network drop quite frequently. The solution is to install the Broadcom drivers from their website, and get: 7/26/2013, 15.6.0.10, published by Broadcom. Now my internet is stable again, and I can run Windows 10 full time.

I hope Oracle can solve the first problem.

Kind regards,
Jacob
cybershawngates

has anyone got virtualbox working in bridged mode on a windows 10 host build > 9926? I'm still stuck on 9926
maratd

Post by maratd »

For those still experiencing this issue, I am on 10074 and used the latest test build of virtualbox.

After installing normally, I experienced the same problems as before. I uninstalled virtualbox.

Began install again, installed everything. There is a screen at the end that asks you if you want to run virtualbox at the end of installation. Do not finish yet! Leave that screen open.

Go into device manager and manually remove the virtualbox network adapter. Then right click on your computer name at the top and select "add legacy hardware". Select the manual option. Then Networking. Then Oracle and install the driver manually.

Now finish the installation. Worked for me.
SimpleE

Post by SimpleE »

Would mind you try with this procedure

Board index > Special Purpose > VirtualBox Beta / Release Candidate Feedback > How-To Install 5.0 RC1 on Windows 10 x64 build 10130

(f=15&t=68254)
cybershawngates

SimpleE wrote:Would mind you try with this procedure

Board index > Special Purpose > VirtualBox Beta / Release Candidate Feedback > How-To Install 5.0 RC1 on Windows 10 x64 build 10130

(f=15&t=68254)

can anyone confirm this works? I would like to try but this machine requires that vbox be working (production) - yeah, I know we shouldn't be testing a preview version of windows as the host OS. Currently machine still stuck at Windows 10 TP 9926 as that was the last known good build for me.
rekrapg

Post by rekrapg »

I had no success with that procedure, however, I have posted how I did manage to have success using another procedure. I cannot post links yet as I only signed up to post the procedure today, but if you look for the post titled "How To: Windows 10 10130 as Host W/bridged" that should help
cybershawngates

rekrapg wrote:I had no success with that procedure, however, I have posted how I did manage to have success using another procedure. I cannot post links yet as I only signed up to post the procedure today, but if you look for the post titled "How To: Windows 10 10130 as Host W/bridged" that should help
Build 10130 = Tried it but I can't get VirtualBox to install - it ends install and begins roll back!! I tried with 4.3.29-xxxx as well same thing. Must be something to do with windows. Tried disabling network physical adapter as well.

Any solutions/ Help?? Win10 10130 build and VirtualBox 5 RC1. Edit had to roll back to 9926 under startup options, luckily they have made roll back painless. From there Virtualbox 5.0 RC1 didn't work so ended up going iwth VirtualBox-4.3.29-101039-Win which worked. Whew.

Scary to think this product (win10) month away from shipment. 10130 build of 10 otherwise looks so much more polished. Start menu that actually works
cybershawngates

SimpleE wrote:Would mind you try with this procedure

(f=15&t=68254)
i was finally able to solve this by using the painstaking procedure outlined above.

The Renaming files removing file_ step is made easy by using a utility to remove the file_ (Search for batch rename utility : BRU_Setup_WinNTx64.exe)

All I can say is I hope they can simplify this process. But I am running 10130 build windows 10 with Vbox RC1 5.0
regli

Post by regli »

I managed to successfully install the VirtualBox RC1 5.0 by simply doing a Win 8 compatibility install as Admin after first rebooting using "disable driver signature enforcement".

http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to- ... d-drivers/

I had to reboot after installation. DON'T just click "yes" but reboot again using the "disable driver signature enforcement" procedure.

In my case I can finally use VirtualBox on Win 10 x64. Note that I'm running build 10147.
Flook
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows 7 x32

Post by Flook »

I wish I could disable driver signature enforcement. My Windows 10 build 10130 is completely missing the advanced startup section in the recovery section. I've been searching everywhere for it.

edit: So in the end I have got bridged adapters finally working after months of not working. I have it working in RC1 and not RC2.

- I had RC1 installed without bridged adapters working
- Thought I'd update to RC2 to see if they would work and it was a no go
- Uninstalled VB and reinstalled RC2 with windows 8 compatibility and run as administrator checked
- Bridged adapters were now available but when trying to start the VM it would error out not able to find the bridged adapter
- I then uninstalled RC2 and tried to install RC1 with the same windows 8 compatibility and run as administrator but now the install would roll back with an error
- Then went into device manager and displayed hidden adapters so that I could uninstall the VB network adapter
- Then tried to install RC1 again with the same windows 8 compatibility and run as administrator and everything is working perfect!!
regli

Post by regli »

Flook wrote:I wish I could disable driver signature enforcement. My Windows 10 build 10130 is completely missing the advanced startup section in the recovery section. I've been searching everywhere for it.

edit: So in the end I have got bridged adapters finally working after months of not working. I have it working in RC1 and not RC2.
I just verified that by following exactly same "disable driver signature enforcement" procedure, the RC2 install works without a hitch.

p.s. "disable driver signature enforcement" procedure:
  • 1. Settings/Update & Security/Recovery/Advanced Startup/Restart now/
    2. Troubleshoot/Advanced options/Startup Settings/7/
    3. Windows 8 compatibility install
    4. Reboot using "disable driver signature enforcement" procedure