BSOD whea_uncorrectable_error on Win8.1 while installing VB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
peruka123

BSOD whea_uncorrectable_error on Win8.1 while installing VB

Post by peruka123 »

Hey,
A few days ago I installed Windows 8.1 with Update Pro x64 on my laptop after replacing HDD with SSD. Earlier I was using Windows 7 Pro x64 and everything was working fine. I have also updated BIOS from version 208 to 221 on my ASUS X53SC-SX311.

Now, I am trying to install VirtualBox 4.3.22-98236 on my laptop and it gives me BSOD with error whea_uncorrectable_error before installation is finished. I have tried it five times with some startup programs and AntiVir disabled, but it did not help. I thought of problems with drivers being installed with VB (because it happened while installing them), but after running installation with Networking Drivers and USB Support unchecked Windows crashed also (last what I saw, was statement saying "creating desktop shortcuts").

hardware: laptop ASUS X53SC-SX311
system: Windows 8.1 with Update Pro x64
VirtualBox: 4.3.22-98236
AntiVir: Avast Free Antivirus 2015.10.0
BSOD with error whea_uncorrectable_error during installation

Is there any other information I can provide you with?
Thanks for help.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: BSOD whea_uncorrectable_error on Win8.1 while installing

Post by loukingjr »

I believe the whea_uncorrectable_error is a symptom of corruption of Windows system files. I would do a search on how to fix it.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Moved to "Windows Hosts".
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I forgot to mention I read it could also be a symptom of a PSU going bad.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
peruka123

Post by peruka123 »

loukingjr wrote:I believe the whea_uncorrectable_error is a symptom of corruption of Windows system files. I would do a search on how to fix it.
I have run sfc /scannow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth commands as some tutorials say, but no error was found in Windows. Anything else could cause problem?
loukingjr wrote:I forgot to mention I read it could also be a symptom of a PSU going bad.
In notebook? I would say that it isn't accident that it happened five times during five attempts to install VB in less than 1 hour.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

peruka123 wrote:I would say that it isn't accident that it happened five times during five attempts to install VB in less than 1 hour.
Nobody has said it was a coincidence. But I also doubt that the fault is with VirtualBox. A host BSOD is always a host hardware or driver issue - it's a kernel level fault.

No-one else is reporting this issue, and I'll remind you that very little VBox code runs during VBox installation. Apart from driver starts, all that's running is the standard Windows Installer (MSI), running an install script.
peruka123

Post by peruka123 »

Okej, I got it. I am almost sure that my Realtek LAN driver caused a problem. I found program called WhoCrashed, and it pointed on file system32\DRIVERS\Rt630x64.sys, which belongs to Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (LAN) in Devices Manager. After disabling it (LAN device), I managed to install VB (and Android Studio, which also gave me BSOD).
I tried to completely remove this driver, but it appears again after reboot (Windows stores a copy of it somewhere?). For now, as a workaround, I disabled LAN device in Devices Manager. Is there any way to uninstall this driver completely?
Thanks.
Hello Motto

Re: BSOD whea_uncorrectable_error on Win8.1 while installing VB

Post by Hello Motto »

I KNOW THIS IS A TOPIC FROM 2015, but this topic helped me with the problem i got with Windows 10 now in 2018

SOLUTION:

The solution:
I just download the LAN Driver from the manufacturer of my motherboard and I just installed it over the driver put by Driver Booster and now is all ok.