Any VM Fails to Start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tezetes

Any VM Fails to Start

Post by tezetes »

After I create a virtual machine in VirtualBox 4.3.22-98236 and run it, it fails to start. Apparently this problem is caused by an Update from Windows, but I haven't installed any updates since installing my host OS.

Here's the error: (see attached image)

Here is the part of the log that appears to be the issue (couldn't attach whole log - too large apparently) (EDIT: vzmgA3s0 on pastebin)

The problem appears to be the following:

Code: Select all

1d34.1eec: Error (rc=0):
1d34.1eec: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cached rc=Unknown Status -22900 (0xffffa68c) fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 cHits=3 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\shell32.dll
1d34.1eec: Fatal error:
1d34.1eec: supR3HardenedDllNotificationCallback: supR3HardenedScreenImage failed on 'C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll' / '\??\C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll': 0xc0000190
21a4.ad8: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[2]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x1 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 2805 ms, the end);
164c.1f60: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x1 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 3435 ms, the end);
It's to do with shell32.dll, and I do believe that file is modified by both - QTTabBar and Classic Shell - not sure if those are causing the issue.

Any help or suggestions are welcome and appreciated
Attachments
Error
Error
er.PNG (60.45 KiB) Viewed 20221 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Any VM Fails to Start

Post by mpack »

Partial logs are not very useful - please provide the complete log as a zipped attachment. And provide details of your host OS too: "XP Pro 32bit" is precise. "Windows" is ambiguous.
tezetes

Post by tezetes »

Fair enough, I've attached a zipped version of the startup log now, it was small enough to do so.
Some more information about host: Windows 7 Home Premium x64, VirtualBox version 4.3.22 r98236
Attachments
VBoxStartup.zip
VirtualBox Startup log for test machine
(15 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

tezetes wrote:Apparently this problem is caused by an Update from Windows, but I haven't installed any updates since installing my host OS.
If you are referring to the KB3004394 fiasco, as far as we know that only ever applied to Win7-32bit hosts, which is why I needed a more precise host ID from you.

Since you have a 64bit host that should not apply... which makes it all the more odd that you do seem to be showing the symptoms. Can you show me some evidence for your host OS being 64bit? Like a snapshot of the "My Computer|Properties" tab from Windows, or the log file (not the startup log) from any working VM?

When you say you haven't installed updates, you are aware that windows updates itself automatically unless the feature is disabled, right? Or you don't have a network connection.
tezetes

Post by tezetes »

Yes, I'm certain I'm running a 64bit (x64) version of Windows 7 Home Premium. And of course I have disabled updates just after installing it.
And yes, I was referring to that certain update. Still, it seems to me that either Classic Shell or QTTabBar might be the issue, is that possible?

Oh, and thank you for not leaving me alone with this, I appreciate it
Attachments
List of installed updates on my host machine
List of installed updates on my host machine
upd.JPG (45.46 KiB) Viewed 20170 times
Proof that I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 host OS
Proof that I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 host OS
64.jpg (68.86 KiB) Viewed 20170 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The fact that you can't see the bad update listed doesn't mean it hasn't done its damage. You might want to read the following article and see if installing the fix does anything for you.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/285926 ... 4fe21.html
tezetes

Post by tezetes »

I did download the fix from that article, and from microsoft's website. The 64-bit version. Very small file, 27KB. Unfortunately, when I run it (as admin) the process runs in background and disappears after~4 seconds doing nothing. I also did try to download the fix from Windows Update, it's not on the list.

A broken fix for a broken update...
David0088

Post by David0088 »

Just because the fix runs silently, doesn't mean it didn't install. You'll have to see whether the original update disappeared in the update list. Sorry, I don't remember how to do that.
bpw22

Post by bpw22 »

Hello i am having the same problems but i am running 8.1. It did work but for some reason it's not working.
tezetes

Post by tezetes »

David0088 wrote:Just because the fix runs silently, doesn't mean it didn't install. You'll have to see whether the original update disappeared in the update list. Sorry, I don't remember how to do that.
It wasn't there in the first place, I have no way of checking. Tried the fix, still no luck, same error.

It appears to me that "supR3HardenedScreenImage" whatever that might be, is having trouble loading shell32.dll. I'm not sure, but I do believe that both - QTTabBar and Classic Shell do modify this file in some way.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

shell32.dll is part of the OS (desktop shell API), as is kernel32.dll (NT kernel). This implies that the host OS itself is failing host OS certification checks - which was the symptom of the failed update. It's possible that there are other ways to corrupt the certificates database.
tezetes

Post by tezetes »

I am definitely not re-installing windows over this, if there isn't a way to fix it. Not worth it, especially if it means giving up on the functionality of the two programs I've metioned.
It's a shame, really. Would an older version of virtualbox possibly not care about security & certificates that much? or am I going to have to switch to another OS virtualization software?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

4.3.12 is the last version that doesn't do the hardening checks.
tezetes

Post by tezetes »

That worked, thanks mpack
eerien

Post by eerien »

I suffered same problem. 4.3.12 is worked. Thank you mpack!

How can I make be ok the host OS certifications by my self to solve the root problem?