Cannot Register the DVD image.... VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MeganUNC

Cannot Register the DVD image.... VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Post by MeganUNC »

Hi,
I've just installed version 4.3.18 on my windows pc (Windows 7 Enterprise, 64 bit). I'm trying to use an image already created. I've uncompressed it, placed it in my “VirtualBox VMs” directory and then opened VB and used "Machine" >> "Add" to attempt to add it. However, I got the following error message:

Failed to open virtual machine located in C:/Users/mmallard/VirtualBox VMs/RHESSysWorkflows-VM-201404/RHESSysWorkflows 201404/RHESSysWorkflows 201404.vbox.

Cannot register the DVD image 'C:\Applications\VirtualBox.app\Contents\MacOS\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' {c3bc9f7f-79a6-4822-9ecf-135f297a2147} because a CD/DVD image 'C:\Applications\VirtualBox.app\Contents\MacOS\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' with UUID {e9bc62d3-d569-4ce3-94f1-6e7f0384f9eb} already exists.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: VirtualBox
Interface: IVirtualBox {fafa4e17-1ee2-4905-a10e-fe7c18bf5554}

Obviously the directory path that it's looking for this .iso file in does not exist on my Windows machine. Any help would be appreciated! I've tried using prior versions (4.3.16 and 4.2) and still get this bug.
Last edited by MeganUNC on 20. Nov 2014, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
MeganUNC

Re: Cannot Register the DVD image.... VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Post by MeganUNC »

BTW, I originally had a U*R*L listed where the image tar file is, but I had to take it out because otherwise the forum rules wouldn't allow my post to be submitted.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

The guest additions are automatically added as part of the VirtualBox install. That is what the error message is telling you - the file already exists.

Do you have a particular reason to use a non-standard version of the guest additions?
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

MeganUNC wrote:'C:\Applications\VirtualBox.app\Contents\MacOS\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso'
What's that doing over here? Is this a Hackintosh project?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MeganUNC

Post by MeganUNC »

The guest additions are automatically added as part of the VirtualBox install. That is what the error message is telling you - the file already exists.

Do you have a particular reason to use a non-standard version of the guest additions?
I don't understand how this file "already exists." I'm on a windows machine; this directory structure does not exist on my computer.
I wasn't aware I had used any non-standard versions or options. I didn't uncheck or change any boxes all the way through the install (except that I don't want shortcuts put everyplace), and just kept hitting next. However, I have uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times, which I suppose could leave some legacy files behind.

But to address your question, I have no need to use a non-standard version. If you can direct me to where I can change this preference, I'd appreciate it.
MeganUNC

Post by MeganUNC »

socratis wrote:
MeganUNC wrote:'C:\Applications\VirtualBox.app\Contents\MacOS\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso'
What's that doing over here? Is this a Hackintosh project?
Yeah, weird. I definitely am using the version for Windows hosts, double and triple checked that.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

MeganUNC wrote: I'm trying to use an image already created
That's the source of the problem, not your VirtualBox installation. Something is not right with this particular image. Could you post an obfuscated URL of where you got the image from by including spaces between the dots and the slashes? Like: www . virtualbox . org / wiki / Downloads
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

As a guess it came from virtualboximages.com. Lately they have allowed images and appliances that were incorrectly set up. Leaving .isos attached etc.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
MeganUNC

Post by MeganUNC »

socratis wrote:
MeganUNC wrote: I'm trying to use an image already created
That's the source of the problem, not your VirtualBox installation. Something is not right with this particular image. Could you post an obfuscated URL of where you got the image from by including spaces between the dots and the slashes? Like: www . virtualbox . org / wiki / Downloads
Sure, its here: http: // goo.gl / NFZGCC
It does not come from virtualbox, but was created by another user of a software I want to run.

I have also gotten this same error when trying to run an image I downloaded from here:
http: // virtualboximages.com / Ubuntu+14.04.01+amd64+Desktop+VirtualBox+VDI

Which is why I've pursued it as a problem with my installation and not the image. I tried reinstalling the extension package this morning and still get the error.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

It's not very likely that it is the same exact error…
Cannot register the DVD image 'C:\Applications\VirtualBox.app\Contents\MacOS\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' {c3bc9f7f-79a6-4822-9ecf-135f297a2147} because a CD/DVD image 'C:\Applications\VirtualBox.app\Contents\MacOS\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' with UUID {e9bc62d3-d569-4ce3-94f1-6e7f0384f9eb} already exists.
seeing it's not likely the same person with the same path with the same problem comes from two different sources.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
MeganUNC

Post by MeganUNC »

Ok, I was able to use the first image that I posted above without getting the previous error. I found another forum post here:
https: // forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49123
which suggested that I open the Media Manager and then release and remove the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file and I did that. Now the image opens and instead I get this message before it crashes:

VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will not be able to boot.

After checking again (just to make sure), I am absolutely sure I have a 64 bit machine.

I downloaded my VB version from https: // http://www.virtualbox.org / wiki / Downloads and chose the only option next to "VirtualBox 4.3.18 for Windows hosts". Does anyone know if that link should be for 32 or 64 bit? It has "x86/amd64" listed as the link, which I believe refers to both types of systems.
Last edited by MeganUNC on 20. Nov 2014, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's a different problem altogether. Take a look at a post from the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.

PS. You have more than a post and more than a day registered. You can post normal links ;)
MeganUNC

Post by MeganUNC »

Thanks for the link. I had to get into the BIOS and enable virtualization. Now it works!
solo1traveler

Post by solo1traveler »

Solution here is to edit the *.vbox file with Notepad++ and comment out the reference to the iso DVD and the reference to the UUID.
reid.mike

Post by reid.mike »

solo1traveler wrote:Solution here is to edit the *.vbox file with Notepad++ and comment out the reference to the iso DVD and the reference to the UUID.
I had the same problem with that error - as it turns out, it was looking for an installation of the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso from another system I installed the vM on. Commenting out the <DVD> section in the .vbox file and it worked like a charm! I was able to import the existing VM into my new system.

Thank you!!