Kubuntu 14.10 x64 uninstallable on Win7 x64

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sac123

Kubuntu 14.10 x64 uninstallable on Win7 x64

Post by sac123 »

Hi,

anyone realized that the recent Kubuntu 14.10 x64 (www . kubuntu . org/getkubuntu) is not working with VB 4.3.18 r96516? After starting from the installation iso it just shows the screen below. No graphical installer.

Last version that works with this latest Kubuntu is VB 4.1.34. All versions after that are not able to display anything. It works in VMWare, too.

Screen
imagetwist . com/cdxq3m0ydijt/gfh.png.html

Anyone using Kubuntu? Is there a fix?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Kubuntu 14.10 x64 uninstallable on Win7 x64

Post by loukingjr »

First thing is you can attach a screenshot directly from the Upload attachment tab. Second the link you posted takes you to a page that says the image contains adult content. Most won't go further than that page.

As far as the problem. Once you start the Kubuntu guest. Press the Host+F1 then Host+F7 keys. That should open the Install screen. The Host key is usually the right control key. On Macs it's the left command key.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
sac123

Post by sac123 »

Thanks, but you can only attach a screen after being registered for one day (I just joined because of that issue).

Please take a look at the screen. That is taken from the graphical installer. The command shows, Kubuntu setup loads boots into graphical installer and shows the screen image. I can even move the mouse pointer on that one.

However, as said it works with the old VB 4.1.34 and VMWare Player and everything is displayed correctly there. So it's not Kubuntu related. Nevertheless it would be interesting if it happens on 32bit systems, too or if I'm really the only one using Kubuntu with VB.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

sac123 wrote:Thanks, but you can only attach a screen after being registered for one day (I just joined because of that issue).

Please take a look at the screen. That is taken from the graphical installer. The command shows, Kubuntu setup loads boots into graphical installer and shows the screen image. I can even move the mouse pointer on that one.

However, as said it works with the old VB 4.1.34 and VMWare Player and everything is displayed correctly there. So it's not Kubuntu related. Nevertheless it would be interesting if it happens on 32bit systems, too or if I'm really the only one using Kubuntu with VB.
hmmm, that wasn't my understanding. I've read here multiple times the only restriction for a first post is you can't post a URL link.

None the less, I did look at your screen and it's the same more or less as the one I saw when installing Kubuntu Plasma 5 which is 14.10 based. The commands I mentioned worked for me. It might be a Windows host issue if the commands don't work. I will take a look at the plain old Kubuntu .iso
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

okay, I get the same screen.
kubuntu0.png
kubuntu0.png (100.19 KiB) Viewed 13581 times
I use the commands I mentioned, Host+F1 then Host+F7 which gets me here.
kubuntu.jpg
kubuntu.jpg (79.03 KiB) Viewed 13581 times
sac123

Post by sac123 »

Many thanks for confirmation. Using the shortcuts works, however it doesn't solve the root cause: I just posted this for easier verification of the cause. Kubuntu remains unusable, because if the system is installed with the option "encrypt whole disc" (not just home) it is asking for a password on boot. After the upgrade from Kubuntu 14.04 to 14.10 you cannot any pass. Usually it shows "*" while typing, but with 14.10. The screen seems to be locked, not showing any input at all.

The screen resolution of this boot pass was never correct in any VB version, however one was able to boot actually:
imagetwist . com/cc6gqfrpyqee/boot.png.html

With your shortcuts VB is able to display the screen (Host+F1, Host+F7 just shows "masf" but then it takes keyboard inputs again), maybe just a screen refresh is missing that was excluded since version VB 4.1.34.?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I never encrypt a .vdi so I have no idea. Although, if I have 3D enabled in my Kubuntu Plasma 5 install the screen is frozen on start. I just disable 3D then it starts up without issue. You could try disabling 3D.

As far as why 4.3.18 is doing this I also have no idea. :)
sac123

Post by sac123 »

Thanks, but I tried all options (disabling 3d, usb-tablet input other, distro types). Anyway to get in tough with the devs here? I also realized that VB is crashing when shutting the VM off. Seems all related to the same issue.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

sac123 wrote:Thanks, but I tried all options (disabling 3d, usb-tablet input other, distro types). Anyway to get in tough with the devs here? I also realized that VB is crashing when shutting the VM off. Seems all related to the same issue.
There has been an issue with the Windows version of VirtualBox since 4.3.14. They are working on it.
celticjak
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Xubuntu

Post by celticjak »

I have the same problem on my Macbook Pro (Retina). All of the key combos aren't working. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

j+
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

celticjak wrote:I have the same problem on my Macbook Pro (Retina). All of the key combos aren't working. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

j+
You should have posted this in Mac Hosts or Linux Guests. Unless you are trying to install Kubuntu in Windows 7 running in Bootcamp.
celticjak
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Xubuntu

Post by celticjak »

loukingjr wrote:You should have posted this in Mac Hosts or Linux Guests. Unless you are trying to install Kubuntu in Windows 7 running in Bootcamp.
Sorry about that. I was just Googling the question, it led me here and I didn't think it would be an issue. I'll repost it there and link it back here.

Thanks.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

celticjak wrote:
loukingjr wrote:You should have posted this in Mac Hosts or Linux Guests. Unless you are trying to install Kubuntu in Windows 7 running in Bootcamp.
Sorry about that. I was just Googling the question, it led me here and I didn't think it would be an issue. I'll repost it there and link it back here.

Thanks.
no problem. to get the function keys to work you either need to switch the mac's function keys to act as normal function keys in the keyboard settings or you need to also hold down the fn key.
sac123

Post by sac123 »

BTW: workaround for the no keyboard & screen bug:
I recommend just editing your /etc/default/grub.

Change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
worked with Kbuntu 14.10 & VB 4.3.18 & tested full disc encryption & boot password.
DaveJ61

Post by DaveJ61 »

I recommend just editing your /etc/default/grub.

Change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
I know this post is a little old but how are you supposed to change the grub settings when the OS has not yet been installed yet. Mine comes up with the above screenshot on the initial start of installation.
I have Win 7 x64 host and have got the same issue with both Kubuntu 14.10 and Lubuntu 14.10 and Virtualbox 4.3.26