Microcode problem boot Linux Tails

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Spamboy

Microcode problem boot Linux Tails

Post by Spamboy »

I'm trying to solve my problem from 2 weeks. I have no more ideas. My methods do not bring results, then I turn to You for help...

Hardware: intel i7 2820Q with 8 GB memory. Dell Precision m6600
Host: Windows 7
Guest: Linux Tails
Boot Linux Tails from USB (using method: VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename Z:\\usb1.vmdk -rawdisk \.\PhysicalDrive4 )

When system start loading I get the message:

Code: Select all

Begin: Loading essential drivers.. done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... 
platform microcode: firmware: direct-loading firware intel-ucode/06-2a-07
microcode: CPU0 sig=0x206a7, pf=0x10, revision=0x0
microcode: CPU0 update to revision 0x29 failed
and all frozen.

What can I do? Where I made ​​a mistake?
PS. In VMware this system boot and work deliciously. I prefer VirtualBox so I will be happy if this can be run on VB.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Microcode problem boot Linux Tails

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't know about how to fix your problem, and Virtualbox doesn't support booting from USB by default, as I've read. There are tricks, such as what you're trying, but the tricks may fail.

Linux Tails comes on an ISO file, too. Virtualbox will boot from an ISO file stored on a USB stick - the actual .iso itself, not expanded in any way; it looks like a CD to Virtualbox. Could you download the ISO and put it on your bootable USB, along with Tails' boot environment that you have now, as just another file? Than Virtualbox will boot from the ISO and physical computers can boot from the boot environment.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

My thoughts are…
  • Install Tails as a VirtualBox guest.
    Attach a Tails .iso to a preexisting guest and run it from there.
    If your copy of Tails is bootable, use it to boot your PC.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Spamboy

Post by Spamboy »

I tried this method, but unfortunately it is not that good. ISO Tails booting properly and permit connect 3G modem without problems. However, this version is (live) such as CD-ROM. It does not offer "persistence" space. Is a very important and valuable function Tails.
You can use this persistent volume to store different kinds of files:
your personal files and working documents
the software packages that you download and install in Tails
the configuration of the programs you use
your encryption keys
The persistent volume is an encrypted partition protected by a passphrase.
I need this very well. That is why I am looking for solutions that allow me to run the system with USB EHCI.
Spamboy

Post by Spamboy »

I also tried to run Tails by Plop, but I know that this method is not recommended.
Yes, it allows to run Tails from USB, but if I turn on the options EHCI, Plop lost control at usb pen drive and can't boot it.
rek2gnulinux

Post by rek2gnulinux »

I'm having the same issue.
let me explain to everyone why the ISO way will not work for us.
Tails since is a OS that enforces anonyminity, will not allow for persistence data, but does has and option to create another USB/SD install from inside the current ISO (inside tails only) with the option of an encrypted partition. so most people that need to safe some settings, documents etc in between sessions will try this... you can boot from USB into it with no problem.. but when using it with VirtualBox then
it will give this microcode update error... I did some research and for CentOS/OracleOS the solution is just to remove the microcode update funtion from boot.. but there has to be a better way..
so my question is also, since VirtualBox will not allow any Guest to do this, if there is a way to force some kind of ignore, or fake it somehow.
rek2gnulinux

Post by rek2gnulinux »

found a work around...
when booting press <tab>
in the boot options removing the live-media=removable option. will let you boot into tails..