Failed to load unit 'vga'

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
thany

Failed to load unit 'vga'

Post by thany »

Out of the blue I'm now getting this error when I try to start a VM that has saved state. I took a snapshot while it's powered on, and want to resume from that snapshot now. This has always worked.

Here's the exact error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows XP IE7.

Failed to load unit 'vga' (VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_MUCH).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}
Strangely (or not), it takes about 20 or 30 seconds for this error to appear. Before that, nothing appears to happen. The VM in question is a Windows XP VM, has one snapshot, and has up-to-date guest tools.

If I try again, it works. But that doesn't mean there's no problem.
Why does VirtualBox not do the trying again by itself? Apparently trying again pays off.

I'm running VirtualBox 4.3.13 on Windows 7 x64. My windows is up-to-date.
I'm probably running the latest everything. Yolo.
Rick4IT

Re: Failed to load unit 'vga'

Post by Rick4IT »

Similar Error - With background and workaround

Background
----------------
Host: Windows 7 x64
VBox (V 4.3.18 r96516) and VM (WS 2012 R2) < were initially started on the host console.
Extension Pack: (V 4.3.18 r96516)

The VM was screen locked and had been left idling
The host was screen locked and had been left idling
At a later time (2 or 3 days) an RDP session into the host from a LAN connected laptop was started
Exit running apps on host i.e.: IE, Notepad, Taskmgr
Close / Save the VM session
Exit VBox Manager
Initiate re-boot of host via the "Installed updates requires re-boot" reboot now button"
Host reboots
Wait a few minutes
RDP into host from the LAN connected laptop
Start VBox Manager
Start the VM, the VM screen starts up and the VM start progress logo starts counting up to about 97% and then VM screen closes
Error message pops up with vga message

Failed to load unit 'vga' (VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_MUCH).
Resultaatcode:E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

Retried starting the VM a few times with same vga error occuring.
Exit VBox Manager
Closed RDP session to host
See : "vga_error_log.txt" below - an extract of the error from the VM log file and the VM Runtime and Configuration information

How I Worked Around the Issue: Luckily I was on premise to do so !!!
----------------------------------------

Went to the Host
Logon the host console
Start VBox Manager
Start the VM >> started successfully!!

Go to laptop
RDP into host
VM is accessible from remote station

An admin should be able to restart a VM remotely via RDP session after the host has re-booted.

vga_error_log.txt
------------------------
Extract from VM log file:
-------------------------------
00:00:14.576599 Display::handleDisplayResize(): uScreenId = 0, pvVRAM=000000000db50000 w=904 h=694 bpp=32 cbLine=0xE20, flags=0x1
00:00:14.576599 UIFrameBuffer::RequestResize: Screen=0, Format=843204434, BitsPerPixel=32, BytesPerLine=3616, Size=904x694, Sending to async-

handler..
00:00:14.576599 UIFrameBufferQImage::resizeEvent: Format=843204434, BitsPerPixel=32, BytesPerLine=3616, Size=904x694

Runtime Information
---------------------------
Runtime Attributes
Screen Resolution 904x694x32 @0,0
Clipboard Mode Bidirectional
Drag'n'Drop Mode Bidirectional
VT-x/AMD-V Enabled
Nested Paging Disabled
Unrestricted Execution Disabled
Guest Additions 4.3.18 r96516
Guest OS Type Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
Remote Desktop Server Port 5024

Storage Statistics
Controller: SATA
SATA Port 0:
DMA Transfers 1,051
Data Read 1,044,992 B
Data Written 9,610,752 B
SATA Port 1:
DMA Transfers 0
Data Read 0 B
Data Written 0 B

Network Statistics
Adapter 1
Data Transmitted 28,399 B
Data Received 520,230 B
------------------------------------------
Configuration Details
----------------------------
> General <
Name: VLab02-Svr-03
OS Type: Windows 2012 (64 bit)
> System <
Base Memory: 3012 MB
Processor(s): 2
Execution Cap: 50%
Boot Order: Hard Disk, CD/DVD
VT-x/AMD-V: Enabled
Nested Paging: Enabled
> Display <
Video Memory: 128 MB
3D Acceleration: Disabled
2D Video Acceleration: Enabled
Remote Desktop Server Port: 5024
> Storage <
Controller: SATA
SATA Port 0: VLab02-Svr-03.vdi (Normal, 25.00 GB)
SATA Port 1 (CD/DVD): Empty
> Audio <
Host Driver: Windows DirectSound
Controller: Intel HD Audio
> Network <
Adapter 1: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (Bridged adapter, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller)
> Serial Ports < Disabled
> USB < Device Filters: 0 (0 active)
> Shared Folders < None
Enigma644

Post by Enigma644 »

I just got the same error with VirtualBox v5.1.22 r115126 running on Win 10 x64 Host.
Up to date tools installed. Virtual machine also running Win 10 x64.

I had to revert to a previous saved state to get the vm running again. I've had this error a few times with other v5.x versions of Virtual Box.
I use VB daily and I rarely get this issue, but I do take regular powered down snapshot backups because it's a massive pain when it does happen!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Enigma644 wrote: I do take regular powered down snapshot backups
"Snapshot backup" is an oxymoron term. Snapshots are NOT backups. Snapshots are differential images based on the previous image. Recording the modified sectors, not the modified files. If you have multiple snapshots and any of the previous ones go bad, you're doomed.

Another "mistake" is that you imply that you make use of live snapshots and saved states. These should be used rarely, under special conditions (when you really, really, really need/have to) and most definitely not while upgrading or modifying VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

searching "VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_MUCH site:forums.virtualbox.org" brings up mentions of folks upgrading Virtualbox while their guests have a saved state. Discarding the saved state and starting the guest seems to clear the error. (If you simply must continue where the Saved State left off, then you must re-install the version of Virtualbox you just upgraded over.)

Saved states (different from Snapshots) are not compatible from one version of Virtualbox to another. Be sure to have all of your guests not in a Saved condition but all fully Powered Off when you upgrade.

And get out of the habit of using Snapshots for your important guests too. Snapshots are a long dark tunnel into a tarpit for those who don't truly understand their use properly.
Enigma644

Post by Enigma644 »

socratis wrote:
"Snapshot backup" is an oxymoron term. Snapshots are NOT backups.
Let me clarify; I regularly backup (copy) my powered down snapshots, to a separate USB drive.
Steven McCarty

Post by Steven McCarty »

socratis wrote:
"Snapshot backup" is an oxymoron term. Snapshots are NOT backups. Snapshots are differential images based on the previous image. Recording the modified sectors, not the modified files. If you have multiple snapshots and any of the previous ones go bad, you're doomed.

Another "mistake" is that you imply that you make use of live snapshots and saved states. These should be used rarely, under special conditions (when you really, really, really need/have to) and most definitely not while upgrading or modifying VirtualBox.
This is some good information but there is some confusion around developers and a product upgrade process. An upgrade should not break a working environment. It sounds like having a saved state on a VM causes this known problem during an upgrade, so why keep breaking environments? In my opinion, a developer needs to think about the user experience. While a consumer is prompted to download and install the newest version, which is most excellent, the upgrade should detect known issues (like saved states), stop the upgrade, and inform the installer. The only thing this type of development leads to is users jumping ship to a tool that develops with them in-mind and doesn't burn down their environments every time the developer makes a change to their product.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Steven McCarty wrote:An upgrade should not break a working environment.
Quite right, if it's possible. FWIW Virtualbox is not the usual working environment. Imagine upgrading a PC's motherboard, and you forget the PC's OS was hibernated. Probably won't work well. That's quite similar to what a Virtualbox update is. It's not like Word or Photoshop, it's 'hardware' for a computer's OS.
Steven McCarty wrote:While a consumer is prompted to download and install the newest version, which is most excellent, the upgrade should detect known issues (like saved states), stop the upgrade, and inform the installer.
The only time such a warning could occur is when the user clicks the link in the Virtualbox message window to do the upgrade. (Is there a link? I can't remember, I turn the automatic update message off because I find it annoying and I don't upgrade until I need to. If it ain't broke, etc. Others turn it off too. I run upgrades directly from download links at http://www.virtualbox.org) The installer and uninstaller are Microsoft MSI programs that are filled with Virtualbox data, not Virtualbox programs, so developer might not have as much control as this idea would require. Can an MSI installer or Uninstaller be programmed to find Virtualbox.xml (it does not have to be in the default location) then read it to find each guest on whatever drive it's stored on, then read all the .vbox'es to determine each guest's status?
Steven McCarty wrote:doesn't burn down their environments every time the developer makes a change
Cool thing about these environments is that they're recoverable if you change versions. Uninstall then put back the version you had before, and the saved-state guest can be started and shut down properly. Then redo the upgrade. Kind of a bummer that it takes extra work, but there might not be another way.

Feel free to suggest a change on the Bugtracker, though. We aren't the developers, just users.