Windows 4.3.16 specifically for errors due to security

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bird
Oracle Corporation

Re: Windows 4.3.16 specifically for errors due to security

Post by bird »

@quiettime: Thanks! I still don't understand what's going on on your system. Someone is either messing with the namespace or object types in the kernel. But, on the bright side, I have an idea for how to work around it.

@nightwend: We're using WTD_REVOCATION_CHECK_NONE or WTD_CACHE_ONLY_URL_RETRIEVAL as appropriate ( https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox ... .cpp#L2132 ). Could be there's an issue in the catalog verification path where there is no such flag. Btw. it would be helpful if you would describe the problems you're experiencing than what the cure in theory should be. Difficult to work backwards from the aparently insufficient solution in this case...

@Gurvender.Bahia: You seems to be experiencing the comctl32.dll problem that is addressed by the build I posted here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63556&start=30#p298721 , it is also mentioned in the initial post on this thread. Please check it out.

Kind Regards,
bird.
Knut St. Osmundsen
Oracle Corporation
danmac

Post by danmac »

bird wrote:Test build #1: https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... 47-Win.exe

Messages to individual users:
@cwahlgren, @intrepid_ibex, @danmac, @revere521, @ES: I've got a fix for you, please confirm / disprove. (Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce it locally with avast!, which is sad as I'd like to notify the vendor of this issue.)
Hi bird,

This build works great for me, great job :)

I will continue to watch the thread in case I can be of assistance in reproducing / reporting this bug to Avast. FYI I'm using Avast free edition 2014.9.0.2021 with defs 140912-0.

Many thanks for your ongoing efforts :)
intrepid_ibex

Post by intrepid_ibex »

@bird

Thank you for the patch. 4.3.17 works fine for me.
sydbarrett74

Post by sydbarrett74 »

I'm using the 4.3.17 test build on a Windows 8.1 x64 host.

My AV software is AVG Antivirus FREE version 2014.0.4765 and the VBoxStartup.log is attached as a ZIP.
Attachments
VBoxStartup.zip
(7.77 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
quiettime

Post by quiettime »

bird wrote:@quiettime: Thanks! I still don't understand what's going on on your system. Someone is either messing with the namespace or object types in the kernel. But, on the bright side, I have an idea for how to work around it.
Ok. I'm a programmer so if there's anything you want me to try separate from your builds let me know, I've already got the dev environment for it.
drescherjm

Post by drescherjm »

drescherjm wrote:
The attachment VB_4.3.16_error.png is no longer available
1. Windows 8.1 Enterprise / Virtual Box 4.3.16r95972

3. Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.4100.4126
This was not fixed for me with v96047
Attachments
VBoxStartup.zip
(6.8 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
garbage_collected

Post by garbage_collected »

Test build #1 (4.3.17-r96047) fixes all of the issues that I reported earlier here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63556&start=15#p298611
Attachments
VBoxStartup.zip
(26.2 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
numb3rs666

Post by numb3rs666 »

bird wrote:
numb3rs666 wrote:Host Win 8.1 update 1 x64
Guest Win 8.1 update 1 x64

please see attached log file.

Thanks for all your efforts
Looks like the comctl32.dll issue that the build I just posted should address. Could you give it a try, please?

Kind regards,
bird.
Sorry but it don't work.
Attachments
VBoxStartup2.log
(125.59 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
VBoxStartup1.txt
(14.37 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
fhoff2

Post by fhoff2 »

HDW: Acer Aspire 7540 AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300 2.00GHz 4.00 GB (3.75 usable) 64-bit
AntiVirus: Microsoft Security Essentials
AntiMalware: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2.1012 Build 5/12/2014

The attached fhoff2_error_report.pdf includes screenshots of the NtCreateFile VERR_SUPDRV_APIPORT_OPEN_ERROR (rc=-3739) messages which I received today from supR3HardenedWinReSpawn when attempting to load a VM under both 4.3.16 and the 4.3.17 prerelease build referenced above.

FYI, with 4.3.17 I tried unloading Malwarebytes and turning off MSE Real-time protection: no difference.

My VBoxStartup.log (zipped) is also attached.
Attachments
VBoxStartup.zip
VBoxStartup.log from 4.3.17 session
(13.61 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
fhoff2_error_report.zip
Contact info, system details, err msg screenshots
(63.41 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
bird
Oracle Corporation

Post by bird »

@numb3rs666: VBoxDrv.sys has trouble loading (or maybe unloading). Have you tried rebooting the system as suggested by the message? Or could you give me the output of 'sc query vboxdrv', at least?

@derscherjm: Sorry, I misread the first log. I see the problem sysfer.dll again, probably my favorite nemesis. :-) I've got SEP on a system here, so I'll see what I can figure out.

@sydbarrett74, @fhoff2: You're experiencing the same issue as @quiettime. I'm working on a possible fix, should hopefully be available within the next 48 hours.

Kind Regards,
bird.
Knut St. Osmundsen
Oracle Corporation
wbedard

Post by wbedard »

VirtualBox Support Staff,

(This is being reposted here based on direction from a forum mod...)

As a dedicated member of your QA staff <grin>, I will describe the problem that I have experienced since the 4.3.14 release. Since there is also the very active thread regarding the problem with Anti-Virus solutions, I would like your input on which thread to place the bulk of the discussion. First of all, my "vitals":

Host: Win 7 Pro (64-bit), fully patched
Host Anti-Virus Solution: Comodo ISP (7.0.317799.4142)
Guest: pfsense 2.2 (based on FreeBSD 10)
Relevant Hardware: Alfa USB WiFi Adapter

Problem Summary: I am using VB as a testing environment to beta-test pfsense 2.2, a popular network router software solution. As such, I configure VirtualBox with a host-based network which becomes a LAN interface in the pfsense VM. I also connect the Alfa USB WiFi adapter to the host and attach it to the VM as a WiFi interface. I use a standard VB bridge adapter as the WAN interface in the pfsense VM. Up to VB 4.3.12, this setup has been running great. Starting with VB 4.3.14, I started having problems.

Additional Details: It became obvious that the initial problems I experienced (couldn't even start the VM) were due to the conflicts with my AV solution. Once the later 4.3.15 testing builds came out, I could at least start the VM normally, including connecting up all the interfaces. However, within around 1 minute of starting the VM, once traffic started moving around (more detailed testing still needed here...), the WiFi network device in the VM would disconnect (more detail including specific errors, screenshots, debug logs, etc available upon request...). This problem continues to exist with the VB 4.3.17 r96047 beta release.

Bottom Line: Does this sound like a potential problem with my AV solution or simply another aspect of the changes made starting in VB 4.3.14? I have reproduced the problem after "disabling" all aspects of my AV solution, though I have not resorted to uninstalling it and testing in that environment. Regardless of which thread you feel this problem report belongs in, I am fully prepared to provide whatever diagnostic materials might help your devs understand what is causing it. Thanks in advance!

BTW: Please see attached the VBox startup log for my VM under the latest VB 4.3.17 testing build. Feel free to highlight any other standard diagnostics that would be useful.

R/
wbedard
Attachments
VBoxStartup_VB4-1-17r96047.zip
(21.65 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
bird
Oracle Corporation

Post by bird »

@wbedard: I'm a bit confused as to the exact network/USB setup here. Would be helpful it you would attach the VBox.log file for a VM having trouble (the corresponding VBoxStartup.log would be nice too).

Cheers,
bird.
Knut St. Osmundsen
Oracle Corporation
RobBrownNZ
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP, Gentoo64, Gentoo32

Post by RobBrownNZ »

Hi,

VirtualBox 4.3.16 runs fine for me, after I had several of the common problems with 4.3.14. I do have another issue with 4.3.16 (which I'll start another thread for). I saw that there was a 4.3.17 test build up in this thread, and so for giggles I thought I'd see if it had any effect on my new issue.

4.3.17-r96047 doesn't start and gives one of the classic dialog boxes from early in the 4.3.14 saga:
VBox4.3.17.png
VBox4.3.17.png (8.15 KiB) Viewed 11245 times
This is on Windows 8.1 Pro, with Avast! Free version 2014.9.0.2021, virus definitions 140912-2.

Reverting to 4.3.16-r95972 gets me back up and running again.
Attachments
VBoxStartup-4.3.17.zip
(4.87 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
numb3rs666

Post by numb3rs666 »

bird wrote:@numb3rs666: VBoxDrv.sys has trouble loading (or maybe unloading). Have you tried rebooting the system as suggested by the message? Or could you give me the output of 'sc query vboxdrv', at least?

Kind Regards,
bird.
Sorry you are right I have not rebooted. Now, after a few minuts of panic with some errors from AMD VIDEO DRIVER in Host all work well.

Thanks
wbedard

Post by wbedard »

bird wrote:@wbedard: I'm a bit confused as to the exact network/USB setup here. Would be helpful it you would attach the VBox.log file for a VM having trouble (the corresponding VBoxStartup.log would be nice too).
Hi bird,

No problem! I realized that I was a bit thin on the details since I was mainly trying to find the most appropriate thread to start the discussion. As to your request, please see attached the VBoxStartup and VBox logs for the pfsense VM in question under the latest 4.3.17 test build.

To clarify things a bit more here in the post though, let me provide a bit more detail on what goes into my VM's network configuration. In VBox Manager -> pfSense VM -> Settings -> Network, Adapter 1 is a Bridged Adapter and Adapter 2 is a Host-Only Adapter. Under the USB Settings, I have a USB Device Filter configured to match my Alfa USB WiFi adapter. These are all the configured devices that will eventually become the actual network interfaces in pfSense once the VM boots. During the VM boot process, the pfSense kernel detects Network Adapter 1 as "/dev/em0", Network Adapter 2 as "/dev/em1" and the USB WiFi adapter as "/dev/run0". Later in the boot process, pfSense configures these network devices as network interfaces typical for a network router. In my case, the VM Bridged adapter (em0) becomes the WAN interface where all Internet-bound traffic is directed. Since pfSense provides a GUI for configuration, the VM Host-Only adapter (em1) becomes a LAN interface (192.168.56.2/24) which allows me to access this GUI from a web browser running on the VBox host. Since the primary purpose of this router is to test pfSense device support for my USB WiFi adapter, that device (run0) becomes a second LAN interface (10.0.1.1/24) for the actual wireless devices I have to connect to.

I hope this clarifies my setup a bit and that the attached files fill in further additional details. Again, if you determine that you need any add'l info, feel free to ask! Thanks again for all your time and effort to assist me in this.

R/
wbedard
Attachments
VBox_VB4-3-17r96047.log.zip
(17.39 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
VBoxStartup_VB4-3-17r96047.zip
(21.65 KiB) Downloaded 40 times