3D acceleration causing Linux guests to crash

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
VonPelz

3D acceleration causing Linux guests to crash

Post by VonPelz »

Just updated to 4.3.14 and now neither of my Ubuntu 14.04 and Linux Mint 17 guests (both x86) are functioning when 3D acceleration is enabled. They will boot and come to the login screen, but after that they always crash with the same error message (see attachment). If I disable 3D acceleration in the machine settings the guests work fine. What could be the cause? Previously with VirtualBox 4.3.12 + 4.3.13 guest additions everything worked well.

System specs:
Windows 7 x64 Pro
Lenovo ThinkPad T431s
Intel i7-3687U 2.10GHz
8GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (newest drivers from 21.5.14 version 15.33.22.64.3621)

Edit: Added log.
Attachments
VBox.log
(61.43 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
virtualbox_error.png
virtualbox_error.png (62.88 KiB) Viewed 18962 times
berrykerry789

Re: 3D acceleration causing Linux guests to crash

Post by berrykerry789 »

I have the same exact problem when running linux guests with 3d acceleration. Running it with my laptop's nvidia or intel gpu of causes the same error. Turning it off allows the guest to work, but it's unbearably slow. Attempting to boot windows 8.1 with 3d acceleration gives me a black screen as well.
VonPelz

Post by VonPelz »

I updated my system to Windows 8.1. Still the same problem, except now I get a "Integer division by zero" exception. Of course if I disable 3D acceleration everything works fine...
Attachments
VBox.log
(59.53 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
VB error.JPG
VB error.JPG (21.75 KiB) Viewed 18833 times
kkshethin
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Fedora/Mac/Windows

Post by kkshethin »

I have windows 8 as host. Any linux (I tried fedora, linux mint both cinnamon and mate edition) with 3d acceralation on fails with exception Integer division by zero.
If i disable 3d acceralation in settings, it boots sucessfully.
This is irritating in as much linuxmint with cinnamon does not boot properly and goes to software rendering mode making it impossible to use.
Virtualbox is 4.3.14.

I updated windows 8 to 8.1 and tried everything possible in bios but linux fails with same error message on enabling 3d acceralation.

I forgot to add that i am dual booting and in fedora20, when i use same virtual machine, it has no problem in booting. Therefore this is simply error with windows.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please do not cross-post. It's not good etiquette.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kkshethin

Post by kkshethin »

socratis wrote:Please do not cross-post. It's not good etiquette.
I , when tried to edit (add detail), mistakenly posted details on another thread on same topic. Will be careful in future.
kkshethin

Post by kkshethin »

I updated windows 8.1. Afterwards in device manager there is two yellow marks which i solver by installing Intel AMT Driver and Intel Chipset Driver.
Now error has disappeared and linuxmint with 3d acceralation has not crashed while i type. Hope somebody try same thing and report.

Hey update
I spoke too soon.
Guest- Linuxmint 17 mate- no problem
Guest- Linuxmint 17 Cinnamon- same error- crash with 3d acceralation on- division by zero integer

I have installed guest addition in both guest. All details are same but result different.

Now can be said problem is with (host) windows 8/8.1 combined with (guest) linuxmint17 Cinnamon.
shyfoldi

Post by shyfoldi »

Virtualbox Version 4.3.6 and guest editions 4.3.14 works for me and it doesn't crash the virtual machine
timur

Post by timur »

There's ticket for this reported for VirtualBox 4.3.8: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12772

I had the same problem with VB 4.3.15 on Windows 7 x64 host with Linux Mint and Fedora VM, both with Cinnamon: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62615&p=297643#p297643 and viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62615&p=297643#p297644. Graphic card AMD Radeon HD 6450.
Today I tried with VB 4.3.16, guest extensions also updated to 4.3.16, the same problem. Log attached.
Attachments
VBox 4.3.16 error on Shutdown of Mint 17 x64 in Windows 7 x64.zip
(20.02 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
VB 4.3.16 error on Shutdown of Mint 17 x64 in Windows 7 x64.jpg
VB 4.3.16 error on Shutdown of Mint 17 x64 in Windows 7 x64.jpg (13.61 KiB) Viewed 18015 times
h-w
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Fedora, CentOS

Post by h-w »

mhanor investigated this and reported in https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12772 that there may be a regression in the source code.

To quote:
By adding a call to CrTdBltDataCleanup(pTex), after CrTdBltDataRelease(pTex), inside CrFbBltGetContents(), it doesn't crash anymore, at shutdown.
I believe that you can find CrFbBltGetContents in file server_presenter.cpp.

Perhaps someone on the Oracle 3D team could take a quick look to see if a regression did in fact take place, and if so, perhaps restore the source code to working state?

It should also be noted that there may be additional problems with 3D in play. This particular problem only occurs during shutdown.

Best Rgds,
-H-
timur

Post by timur »

Seems like a simple problem, but still not fixed in 4.3.18.
h-w
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Fedora, CentOS

Post by h-w »

Still not fixed in 4.3.20 r96996. Where this appears to be code regression perhaps it might be simple to fix? We understand there are major important changes in progress, but this issue has been outstanding for almost a year now. I'd like to mention that having a VM crash in front of a client 100% of the time is not a major selling point. Best Rgds, -H-
mhanor
Volunteer
Guest OSses: various

Post by mhanor »

You could/should also report the issue to AMD. The OpenGL driver shouldn't crash if VirtualBox doesn't release some resources. As I see it, the OpenGL driver's fault is bigger than that of VirtualBox. I did report it to AMD, but AMD doesn't give any feedback, so it might have been a shot in the dark.
timur

Post by timur »

Seems that this doesn't happen with 4.3.26. although nothing is written in the bug ticket.
Even that I have 3D turned on, I still get "Cinnamon running without HW acceleration" message in Ubuntu 14.10 with Cinnamon nightly, while I don't have that message in Mint 17 with Cinnamon..
user2015

Post by user2015 »

I still have this problem in VirtualBox 4.3.28