4.3.14 conflicts with anti-virus packages.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
astage

Re: 4.3.14 conflicts with anti-virus packages.

Post by astage »

Quarantined system, so no Anti-Virus installed.
v4.3.14 conflicts with nVidia nView software (v334.95). Causes three error message upon launching VBox:
1. Application popup: VirtualBox.exe - Bad Image : C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nview\nview64.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.
2. same as the above, once more.
VBox error.png
VBox error.png (57.25 KiB) Viewed 8688 times
After disabling the nVidia nView software and rebooting, it still produces the same error as item 3 above.
ashetosvlakas

Post by ashetosvlakas »

astage wrote:Quarantined system, so no Anti-Virus installed.
v4.3.14 conflicts with nVidia nView software (v334.95). Causes three error message upon launching VBox:
1. Application popup: VirtualBox.exe - Bad Image : C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nview\nview64.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.
2. same as the above, once more.
VBox error.png
After disabling the nVidia nView software and rebooting, it still produces the same error as item 3 above.
Same exact error as shown in the above image.

Host: Windows 7 64-bit Professional up-to-date as of today.
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus up-to-date as of today. Tried to install with disabled antivirus, did not make any difference.

These DLLs do not seem to be related to the antivirus though...

4.3.14 should have never been released like that...
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

And people are still insisting it is an anti-virus issue when people are posting saying they have no AV installed.
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

It's not just anti-virus programs. Other applications also use dll injection such as sandbox apps and debuggers.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Perryg wrote:It's not just anti-virus programs. Other applications also use dll injection such as sandbox apps and debuggers.
...and many other non-security related utilities. One one PC it seems to be nVidia DLLs, on another (amongst many others) a utility I use on Win 7 to save window sizes and positions.
Thank you for confirming that it is not just an AV issue, as the title of the thread infers.
No other program has a problem with these DLLs.
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

Perryg wrote:@ElQuia,

You seem to under the illusion that this is what the DEVs wanted to do. It is far from that. It was something that had to be done for specific reasons. With the help of others the remedy should be on its way.

So if you want to call it a bug go ahead but since no one else is actually trying to help with the source code to fix this you have two options. Revert back to version 4.3.12, or use something else.
No Perry ;-) I do NOT think the devs wanted this to happen. Thats why I call it a bug. It's OK, it happens ALL THE TIME with software. I just give my PERSONAL opinion. I reverted to 4.3.12 even BEFORE trying on a clean installation and .12 with my 20 (yes twenty) virtual machines is working OK with out a hiccup.

No sense whining anymore devs will find a way :D - So we simple users just wait. But there are a lot of new users that could benefit from a warning: " do not use 4.3.14 "

Thanks for your opinion
Attachments
Too long a list to show all, but there are 20 VM's
Too long a list to show all, but there are 20 VM's
Capture.JPG (127.25 KiB) Viewed 8557 times
nitinrathi

Post by nitinrathi »

Hey Guys I had the same problem and luckily I fixed it. And 100% it has to do with the the antivirus on your system. What I did was I uninstalled my symantec Norton 360 and tried and it worked perfectly. Hope this helps.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

nitinrathi wrote:Hey Guys I had the same problem and luckily I fixed it. And 100% it has to do with the the antivirus on your system. What I did was I uninstalled my symantec Norton 360 and tried and it worked perfectly. Hope this helps.
As reported elsewhere (in this thread IIRC), the issue is related to DLL injection. It is not just AVs that do this. 4.3.14 chokes on many other DLLs linked to other utilities that I use, one being WindowManager, a utility that I cannot work without.
Trysis
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, assorted; Windows 7; Windows 8.1

Post by Trysis »

No, 4.3.12 doesn't find 4.3.14 as an update yet because the mods/devs want a break for a couple days after each version is released, so that version isn't downloaded 5 million times before they're "ready". Something like that.
J.L.
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
Guest OSses: LMDE, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows 7

Post by J.L. »

I don't see why my entire comment has to be removed just because someone started veering off-topic by selectively quoting it.

Once again I had "Failed to install NtCreateSection monitor:". The little details at the end I hope won't be needed to replicate or remember.

Possible conflicts include: Avast Free AV, Zemana AntiLogger, HMP.Alert, Nvidia drivers, and FileBox eXtender.

Please whitelist them if you're going the (very) long way, but I think this hardened mode should be optional in the first place.
Windows 10 is the actual host, not 8 (no option).
jefke

Post by jefke »

mpack wrote:(moaning post deleted).

Guys - please stop using this topic as a place to moan about how this software you got for free has let you down. I'll simply delete the post and you'll have wasted both your time and mine.

The purpose of this topic is to collect data on which antivirus (or other) packages conflict with VirtualBox, so that the devs can add exceptions for them. Do not post about anything else here.
Mpack,

not to moan here as you call it, but I do hope the idea of this post is not to just build a list of apps that "seems to give problems" and then kind of add exceptions (create whitelist)?
What happens if tomorrow someone else with another AV or any other application that injects DLL's uses virtualbox and it's not added to the exception list?
I do hope there will be some generic solution, because whitelisting stuff seems to be a never ending story that will need to be updated every few days/weeks.

Anyways, same issue, on windows 8.1 pro 64bit, using Norton Internet Security 21.4.0.13 AND also using an nvidia graphics card.

1.png
1.png (14.72 KiB) Viewed 8419 times
2.png
2.png (14.26 KiB) Viewed 8419 times
Windza

Post by Windza »

:idea: Here's a thought mpack :idea:
If you want to stop the moaning, push the devs to PULL THE DAMN "UPGRADE" :evil:

Mod edit. further moans deleted.
another1

Post by another1 »

1) I was also asked to close processes during the downgrade. I didn't look to see what there were - I just rebooted.

2) -IF- 4.3.14 is pulled, 4.3.13 or 4.3.14 Guest Additions should be made available because 4.3.12 Guest Additions have a major problem with 3D making the graphical interface really slow on a Ubuntu 14.04 guest (and maybe others).
endi
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows, Debian, Ubuntu

Post by endi »

AVG Antivirus (Free) on Windows 7 x64: incompatible.

I get the error 5 as "Error In supR3HardenedWinReSpawn". Adding VirtualBox to the AV's exceptions list for resident protection did not help, neither did (temporarily) disabling the whole thing, it probably keeps injecting but disables all subsequent action. Unless, of course, the culprit is some other software I'm using, but I don't think I have any resident debugger or debugger-like program on this PC.

Please fix this soon, and thanks for your work.
mikesteel
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows

Post by mikesteel »

Virtual Box 4.3.14 crashes with AMD-Radeon HD 7450

Up to Virtual-Box 4.3.10 was all ok. I didn't test 4.3.12. But when I try to start 4.3.14 the added error-message was shown and I can only stop this with windows task manager.
I went back to 4.3.10.
Attachments
2014-07-21 08_53_50-VirtualBox.exe - Ungültiges Bild.png
2014-07-21 08_53_50-VirtualBox.exe - Ungültiges Bild.png (19.41 KiB) Viewed 8464 times