4.3.14 conflicts with anti-virus packages.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
azdvd

Re: 4.3.14 conflicts with anti-virus packages.

Post by azdvd »

Similar problem on Windows 7 Pro x64:

A/V: FortiClient 5.0.0.347

Screenshots attached.

Thanks!
Error window screen captures
Error window screen captures
VB Error Screen Captures.jpg (125.37 KiB) Viewed 8243 times
TrentonDAdams

Post by TrentonDAdams »

I'm seeing this problem, but it seems to have nothing to do with the virus scanner. I unloaded trend micro virus scanner, and the problem still occurs. If I downgrade to 4.3.10 virtualbox works just fine.
brw1

Post by brw1 »

I have Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. I had no problem running the upgrade but when starting up the guest I get the same error as other Windows users already noted, so I had to revert back to 4.3.12. My antivirus is part of the Norton Internet Security package. Note that both the Norton and Windows itself are completely up to date with all security patches, etc.
TSKRICH

Post by TSKRICH »

All I want to know is if there will be a resolution to the problem or not. I'm having the same problems as all of the others and do not have ANY AV installed currently.
csmccarron
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64 & 32, XP Mode

Post by csmccarron »

Same problem. Reverted back to 4.3.12. Using Symantec 12.1.4100.4126.
cgill27

Post by cgill27 »

Upgraded from 4.3.12 to 4.3.14 and get below error when launching VirtualBox:

(Windows 8.1 Pro, no anti-virus installed)
vbox_4314_error1.jpg
vbox_4314_error1.jpg (78.15 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
JavierP

Post by JavierP »

I have the same error with Comodo Internet Security only with the Firewall module. Uninstalling Comodo, VirtualBox runs ok. I attached the error as an screen capture. I have Windows 7 SP1 32bits with all updates installed and Comodo Firewall 7.
screenshot.7.jpg
screenshot.7.jpg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
digigirl16

Post by digigirl16 »

The program will neither run, allow me to do a repair or allow me to remove it. Is there a special program to remove it. I cannot even install an earlier version due to the issues 4.3.14
skeeter_mcbee
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Kali Linux

Post by skeeter_mcbee »

I too had this problem. Running Windows 8.1 updated to the latest version (as of this posting). Changing from 4.3.14 to 4.3.12 is the solution for the time being. I suggest putting a disclaimer somewhere in the downloads page that an anti-virus software is most likely going to refuse Virtual Machines on Windows hosts. It took me nearly a week to figure out what was wrong with my software.
Nap

Post by Nap »

I'm having the same issue with Prio (prnwatch . com/prio/) running on my system.

See image at:
img .photobucket [dot] com/albums/v631/Napoleon_BlownApart/Problem_with_Prio.png
(You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls.)

Hope this gets fixed, Prio is an important security tool in my system.

After uninstalling Prio, I get the same error but the cause has changed... It now reports "Unknown image file"
img .photobucket [dot]com/albums/v631/Napoleon_BlownApart/Problem_with_VB.png

I'm reverting to an older version of VirtualBox. :(

Cheers,
Nap
Hasselhoff

Post by Hasselhoff »

I see lots of mentions of rolling back to earlier versions of VirtualBox - where do I get one? The website only offers the most current (apparently problematic) version: 4.3.14.
cwahlgren
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: CentOS 5,6,7

Post by cwahlgren »

Hasselhoff wrote:I see lots of mentions of rolling back to earlier versions of VirtualBox - where do I get one? The website only offers the most current (apparently problematic) version: 4.3.14.
On the Download page, a bit further down there is a link to VirtualBox older builds:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds
mcc2460206451

Post by mcc2460206451 »

I'm currently receiving an error that is similar to the one in ticket #13200 (I am unable to post URLs due to forum restrictions). However, the driver mentioned in the error message is different.

Here's a screenshot of the error:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (11.66 KiB) Viewed 8034 times
According to the ticket, this error has something to do with process hooks used by NVIDIA drivers that are similar to those used in anti-virus software. However, the driver in the error message is not detoured.dll but nvinitx.dll (not sure if that driver contains process hooks). At least one other user on this forum has received this error, if you follow the linked forum topic.

I am currently running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Premium). Graphics card is a GeForce GT 540M + Intel integrated (Sandy Bridge). Driver version is NVIDIA 340.43 beta, I've tried downgrading to 337.88 and still had this error. Intel drivers are at latest version.
Jonas H

Post by Jonas H »

Hi,

I'm running a host with Windows 8.1 and am getting the following error when trying to start a previously working VM with 4.3.14. It doesn't help to start VBox as Administrator but downgrading worked.
VBox4.3.14.error.jpg
VBox4.3.14.error.jpg (46.94 KiB) Viewed 7994 times
Brgds

Jonas
CaptainFlint
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Various Windows and Linux distros

Post by CaptainFlint »

I'm sorry if I missed a clearer explanation in this long thread, but did I understand correctly that VB refuses to launch if ANY third-party DLL is simply injected into its process? Or is it some specific kind of injection, or injection followed by some specific actions?

If any injection is treated as a "threat", then anti-virus software is a sheer minority of possible causes of this problem! There is a huge variety of applications, thousands at the minimum, which use DLL injection for absolutely legitimate purpose. Not to mention software developers who will be unable to use VB simply because they are developing an application which uses hooks and which, being constantly updated during development, has absolutely no chance to get into the white list. I think, if the developers are intent on keeping the new "feature" along with the white list, they should make it possible to turn it off completely for those users who know what they are doing and what they are risking.