[Solved] VirtualBox fails to open 2nd virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AshiqR

[Solved] VirtualBox fails to open 2nd virtual machine

Post by AshiqR »

Windows 7 host
Currently running VirtualBox 4.3.12 . Just upgraded after I suddenly experienced this issue with 4.3.10 after I have installed new RAMs. So upgraded to 4.3.12, but, it did not resolve anything.

I was running two Linux guests in parallel. Both were talking to each other as well. But, now one virtual machine starts fine. But when I try to start the 2nd virtual machine, I get this error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine rac1_centos59_64x.

No error info.

Result Code: VBOX_E_INVALID_OBJECT_STATE (0x80BB0007)
Component: ProgressProxy
Interface: IProgress {c20238e4-3221-4d3f-8891-81ce92d9f913}
I have an image, I can share, but the forum is not allowing me.
Last edited by AshiqR on 20. May 2014, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
AshiqR

Re: VirtualBox fails to open 2nd session for Virtual machine

Post by AshiqR »

I don't understand this, but, both virtual machine starts if remove the shared disks.

Can anyone help me? I really need the shared disks. They were working fine before. Now how do I add them back so that they don't complain about it.

Is there an alternate way to add the existing shared disks to both virtual machines?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Explain shared disk? Is it connected like a HDD?
Or are you talking about shared folders?
AshiqR

Post by AshiqR »

Perryg wrote:Explain shared disk? Is it connected like a HDD?
Or are you talking about shared folders?
I created virtual disk and made them shareable.
AshiqR

Post by AshiqR »

I think it is SOLVED!

The 4 shared disk's some how lost their "SHAREABLE" status in the storage area.
So I went in to the "Virtual Media Manager" and MODIFIED them again to be SHAREABLE.

After that the 4 shared disks were re-added to both machine and now it shows up as "Shareable"

Both virtual machines now start fine again!

So there might be a bug somewhere with the shared disk. Could it be that I have MOVED them from their OLD location to new Drive?
What it means, if Shared DISK's location is changed, then they lose their "SHAREABLE" status.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [Solved] VirtualBox fails to open 2nd virtual machine

Post by mpack »

No, it doesn't sound like any bug. It sounds more like you don't understand what sharing a disk implies. This was supposed to be an expert level feature. Ah well, I guess we can look forward to another post once you notice that disk changes in one VM don't show up in the other.

If you want two VMs to share storage space, the standard solution is to keep the VM disks separate, then nominate a shared folder on the host.
AshiqR

Re: [Solved] VirtualBox fails to open 2nd virtual machine

Post by AshiqR »

mpack wrote:No, it doesn't sound like any bug. It sounds more like you don't understand what sharing a disk implies. This was supposed to be an expert level feature. Ah well, I guess we can look forward to another post once you notice that disk changes in one VM don't show up in the other.

If you want two VMs to share storage space, the standard solution is to keep the VM disks separate, then nominate a shared folder on the host.
Well, I have been using the shared disk as Oracle ASM disks shared between two Oracle RAC using UDEV in CentOS. And it has been working fine so far.
That's why I created two virtual machine with two install of CentOS, and set up Oracle RAC server accordingly. I followed tutorial of experts (I am not one!), who are using Shared DISK between two VM as the common ASM disk storage for the RAC servers.

I do not think we are on same page in terms of what I am talking about. But, since you are an expert, please do guide me on this. Forum does not allow me to add any links. Otherwise I could have provided you the virtualbox tutorials I followed to setup the RAC servers with Shared Disks (as ASM disk).