SOLVED: "Installation Failed Prematurely" trying to upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Tronmech

SOLVED: "Installation Failed Prematurely" trying to upgrade

Post by Tronmech »

All, I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 7 host from 4.3.10 to 4.3.12 on Windows 7. When I start the installer, everything goes smooothly, until I see "rolling back action" and I finally get this:
"Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.3.12 Setup Wizard ended prematurely"

Looking in the windows event logs., I got:
- Error creating restore point. I resolved this and the issue still happened.
- Error 1603, which looks like an installshield "machine specific" error. Since it's a catch-all error, I have no idea where to go from here.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Solved this by:
  • Uninstalling Virtualbox
  • Going into the registry at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Network
  • Changing "MaxFilters from 8 to 20 (decimal)"
  • Rebooting
  • Installing 4.3.12
Really need better install logging.
Last edited by Tronmech on 19. May 2014, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: "Installation Failed Prematurely" trying to upgrade

Post by loukingjr »

did you try "run as administrator"?
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Tronmech

Post by Tronmech »

Luckily I was able to put 4.3.10 back on it.. I've been running as administrator each time.

Is there any way to get better install logging so I can (hopefully) find out why 4.3.12 hates my machine?

It installed on the RHEL 6.4 host I also use with no issues, but that's comparing apples and orangutans.

EDIT: Belay my last. I now have a completely inoperative Virtualbox configuration. When I try to start ANY VM, I get this:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Test Win8.1.

The virtual machine 'Test Win8.1' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Machine
Interface: IMachine {480cf695-2d8d-4256-9c7c-cce4184fa048}
Last edited by Tronmech on 19. May 2014, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I only run OSX hosts so I'm not much help. There are plenty of others around here that can answer.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Tronmech

Post by Tronmech »

Well, I figured out why the kernel driver wasn't found, the driver path was "\\??\C:\program files\Oracle\Virtualbox\vboxdrv.sys" I looked at a non-upgraded windows 7 host that is working, and the OTHER VBOX drivers, and the right path is "system32\DRIVERS\vboxdrv.sys"

I noticed that some people on this forum had issues with installs on Windows 7 when not runing as THE "Administrator" user. In that case, teh bridged network driver didn't install (and in my case it didn't either), so I'll try that, and if it still fails, I'll see if I can at least reset the Kernel driver and be at least functional.
Tronmech

Post by Tronmech »

Nope. That didn't help. It still INSISTS that the driver is under the VirtualBox install directory. After copying it to the right place, of course.

This time I got an even better bit of weirdness. The "host only network" install "failed" post restart, and then turns out to actually be installed. The bridged network still isn't.
Colin_Nicholls

Re: SOLVED: "Installation Failed Prematurely" trying to upgr

Post by Colin_Nicholls »

Tronmech wrote:When I start the installer, everything goes smooothly, until I see "rolling back action" and I finally get this:
"Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.3.12 Setup Wizard ended prematurely"
Solved this by:
  • Uninstalling Virtualbox
  • Going into the registry at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Network
  • Changing "MaxFilters from 8 to 20 (decimal)"
  • Rebooting
  • Installing 4.3.12
Tronmech, thank you! These steps solved the issue for me.
faridsaidan

Post by faridsaidan »

Call me the mother of all noobs as I don't speak computer language but I'm trying my best to follow your guide.
I did manage to go to into the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Network BUT...
Where do I find this "MaxFilters"?
Please view my print screen here (via Flickr): /photos/98234538@N06/17326887452/
(I'm unable to provide a proper link as I've just created an account here and I'm not allowed to post URLs just yet).
Can someone please, please, please guide me? I've been tearing my hair out for days over this!
I wanna install the VirtualBox so badly! :-(
PS: Pardon my broken English. Lol.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If it isn't there then it defaults to 8, so add a key with the value you want.

p.s. Never install VirtualBox as the "Administrator" user. Use "Run as administrator" (while logged in as the intended user) when running the installer.
mdizzle9d9

Post by mdizzle9d9 »

FYI: For those trying to get the latest version of VirtualBox (4.3.28) installed on Windows 10 and can't figure out why the install fails and it rolls back.. adding the MaxFilters key to the registry (above) works like a charm.

The latest version I was able to get to run on Windows 10 was VirtualBox 3.2.30.. which doesn't do much good if you're working with boot2docker.

Hope that saves someone else 3 days of their life noodling with intallers!
dugus46

Post by dugus46 »

I first time posting to this forum so pardon any missed details.

I have a desktop with win 7 Enterprise 64 bit 16 GB of Ram. Every time I try to install 4.3.26 virtual box it rolls back prematurely.

I tried the above solutions:
•Uninstalling Virtualbox
•Going into the registry at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Network
•Changing "MaxFilters from 8 to 20 (decimal)"
•Rebooting

I noticed that the registry key will not accept 20 and Decimal. I can change the value to 20 and select Decimal but when I hit OK it reverts to 14 and Hexadecimal.

Any known reason for this?
iShotZz | Techy Gamer

Post by iShotZz | Techy Gamer »

Tronmech wrote:Luckily I was able to put 4.3.10 back on it.. I've been running as administrator each time.

Is there any way to get better install logging so I can (hopefully) find out why 4.3.12 hates my machine?

It installed on the RHEL 6.4 host I also use with no issues, but that's comparing apples and orangutans.

EDIT: Belay my last. I now have a completely inoperative Virtualbox configuration. When I try to start ANY VM, I get this:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Test Win8.1.

The virtual machine 'Test Win8.1' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Machine
Interface: IMachine {480cf695-2d8d-4256-9c7c-cce4184fa048}
Have you tried this? My VMs wouldn't start until I did this. The problem is the VBox Installer. VBox uses a driver for the virtulization, and a registry key is pointing it to the wrong direction, and VBox VMs won't start because it needs the driver in order to virtualize the OS you're trying to run as a guest.
Please close VirtualBox before doing this procedure, you can start it back up when you finish these simple intructions.
1.Open Regedit in Windows
2.Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\services\VBoxDrv
3.Right-click on ImagePath and click Modify
4.Copy and Paste this data:

Code: Select all

\??\C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\vboxdrv\VBoxDrv.sys
5.Run VirtualBox
6.Your VMs work now!
mmmmmmmmake ttttttttthhhhhheeeeeeeeee grrrrrround shhhhhhakkekekkek lel
b3ta

Post by b3ta »

Same symptoms, different cause. SOLVED:

Read this whole post before doing any of it.

In Windows 7 (don't know about the others) the installer uses rundll32.exe and dies as above when rundll32 is corrupted or missing.

To restore rundll32, follow the instructions below, expanded on those by Charles York, posted at answers answers DOT microsoft DOT com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-rundll32exe-corrupt/bec29408-1a77-4703-bf03-dc73069aa838 [as a new member I can't post URLs].
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories. There you must right-click on "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as administrator".
  • At the command prompt, type
    cd \windows\winsxs
  • Now you need to find the directory where it is hiding. Enter
    dir /s rundll32.exe
    which will eventually return with the directory if it is there. To stop it searching needlessly any further, press Ctrl-C.
  • To save typo frustration, copy and paste the directory name (from the first character after C:\Windows\winsxs\):
    cd <directory name>
  • Once you're in the correct directory, copy the file across (here is where you need to be administrator):
    copy rundll32.exe \windows\system32\
Note that in the command prompt window, highlighting is block-orientated as opposed to line-orientated. This implies that if the directory name you want to copy contains a line break, you must copy and paste it in parts. The parts pasted together must not have any spaces in, unless the directory name has spaces, in which case you need to enclose it in double quotes.

If you can't find rundll32.exe using the above, try plan B in Charles's post. If that doesn't work either, search the Net for how to recover run32dll.exe from installation media. Using the installation media is quicker than plan B, though.
isi3456789

Post by isi3456789 »

faridsaidan wrote:Call me the mother of all noobs as I don't speak computer language but I'm trying my best to follow your guide.
I did manage to go to into the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Network BUT...
Where do I find this "MaxFilters"?
Please view my print screen here (via Flickr): /photos/98234538@N06/17326887452/
(I'm unable to provide a proper link as I've just created an account here and I'm not allowed to post URLs just yet).
Can someone please, please, please guide me? I've been tearing my hair out for days over this!
I wanna install the VirtualBox so badly! :-(
PS: Pardon my broken English. Lol.
Dont get it either, What if we dont have a MaxFilter? Where and How do we create one?
mdizzle9d9 wrote:FYI: For those trying to get the latest version of VirtualBox (4.3.28) installed on Windows 10 and can't figure out why the install fails and it rolls back.. adding the MaxFilters key to the registry (above) works like a charm.

The latest version I was able to get to run on Windows 10 was VirtualBox 3.2.30.. which doesn't do much good if you're working with boot2docker.

Hope that saves someone else 3 days of their life noodling with intallers!
Windows 10 here, where and what did you create it?
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Please keep Windows 10 talk in the dedicated topic.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!