VT-x not available

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

VT-x not available

Postby Art » 19. May 2014, 03:27

Greetings,
I'm just getting into Virtual Machines and not making much progress. I am running Windows 8.1 (64 bit) on the host PC. I down loaded Oracle VB V4.3.12 r93733. When I open the VM Virtual Box manager it says my operating system is Win 8.1 (32 bit). Is that a typo or do I have the wrong version of VB? On page 15 of the User Manual it says Windows 8 32-bit and 64 bit are both supported. Does that also apply to Win 8.1?

After installing and setting up a VM when I try to "Start" it I get an error window that says "Failed to open a session for the machine Win 8.1. VT-X is not available. (VERR-VMX-NO-VMX). My host processor is an Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 GHz. When I ran the Intel Processor Identification Utility it says that it doesn't support "Intel(R) Virtualization Technology". I checked the Bios and it says "Intel Virtualization Technology enabled" and VT-D is grayed out and can't be changed. I know the "K" version doesn't support VT-D and the locked version does but others have told me that the "K" version should work, if slower.

I tried Windows Hyper-V with little success too. Anybody have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
Art
Art

Re: Windows 8.1 Host Network Issues

Postby loukingjr » 19. May 2014, 04:09

Art wrote:Greetings,
I'm just getting into Virtual Machines and not making much progress. I am running Windows 8.1 (64 bit) on the host PC. I down loaded Oracle VB V4.3.12 r93733. When I open the VM Virtual Box manager it says my operating system is Win 8.1 (32 bit). Is that a typo or do I have the wrong version of VB? On page 15 of the User Manual it says Windows 8 32-bit and 64 bit are both supported. Does that also apply to Win 8.1?

After installing and setting up a VM when I try to "Start" it I get an error window that says "Failed to open a session for the machine Win 8.1. VT-X is not available. (VERR-VMX-NO-VMX). My host processor is an Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 GHz. When I ran the Intel Processor Identification Utility it says that it doesn't support "Intel(R) Virtualization Technology". I checked the Bios and it says "Intel Virtualization Technology enabled" and VT-D is grayed out and can't be changed. I know the "K" version doesn't support VT-D and the locked version does but others have told me that the "K" version should work, if slower.

I tried Windows Hyper-V with little success too. Anybody have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
Art

Art,
First of all your question has nothing to do with networking so hopefully one of the moderators will move your post to somewhere more appropriate.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Postby Art » 19. May 2014, 04:19

I guess I am confused. Sorry if I got the wrong thread. What would have been the correct thread?
Art
Art

Postby loukingjr » 19. May 2014, 04:23

Art wrote:I guess I am confused. Sorry if I got the wrong thread. What would have been the correct thread?
Art

No need to apologize, it happens. You could have started your question in "Using VirtualBox" or "VirtualBox on Windows Hosts", or "Windows Guests" :) they'll move it.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: VT-x not available

Postby noteirak » 19. May 2014, 06:36

Topic has been split.

Your problem is that Hyper-V locks the VT-x feature at boot time. You need to remove it and it should work. If it still doesn't work, please attach a zipped log file as described in Minimum information needed for assistance.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://kamax.io/hbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
noteirak
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Postby Art » 19. May 2014, 17:19

Noteirak,
Thanks for splitting this. I'm stlll not getting very far with this. First, just to put my mind at ease, in the Virtual Box Manager window, under General, it says the operating system is "Windows 8.1 (32-bi)" not 64-bit. Is that ok? The log file says 64-bit.

The version of VB I'm using is 4.3.12 and I have installed Guest additions. The host is windows 8.1 (64-bit), 16Gb of ram, Intel core i7 4770K unlocked processor (bios says that Intel Virualization is enabled and VT-D is disabled. The VM base memory is 4096 MB, acceleration PAE/NX. I don't understand the "Minimum Info needed for Assistance" page that gives sample commands. Are they talking about in a command prompt window? Where/how do you enter CODE: SELECT ALL EXPAND VIEW?.

Now for the Hyper-V locking VT-X, I deleted the VM I had created in it, but I can't find Hyper-V in my programs list or "Programs and Features" to remove it. Isn't Hyper-View just part of Windows 8.1? How do I remove it? I deleted VB and re-installed it but no help. I still get the no VT-X error when I try to Start VB. Log is attached.

I really appreciate all this help! Thanks,
Art
Attachments
win 8.1 -2014-05-19-07-36-06.log
(26.39 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Art

Postby mpack » 19. May 2014, 17:33

Please post a picture of the dialog which says your host is 32bit.
mpack
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Postby Art » 19. May 2014, 18:23

Here is the photo. It's the second line in "General box" under operating system.
Attachments
VM Photo.JPG
VM Photo.JPG (34.8 KiB) Viewed 21718 times
Art

Postby mpack » 19. May 2014, 18:59

That window doesn't say anything about the host. It's telling you what template you chose for the guest: Windows 8.1 (32 bit). If you are trying to install a 64bit guest then you should choose the 64bit template - which you'll only be allowed to do if VT-x is available, as discussed in earlier messages (i.e. disable Hyper-v).

p.s. That isn't a very good photograph, especially as you managed to lop off part of the important fields. On Windows hosts you can type Alt+PrtScr to copy an image of the current (focus) window to the clipboard. You can then paste this into any decent paint package and save it as PNG (preferred for screenshots) or JPEGs.
mpack
Site Moderator

Postby Art » 19. May 2014, 22:27

In my previous post I told you I don't know how to "Remove" Hyper-V. I've deleted everything I can find relating to Hyper-V. The subfolders on the hard drive are all empty and nothing shows up in the "programs and features" section of the Control Panel. I attached another picture, taken as you suggested, of the VM box manager window. I don't remember seeing anything that gave me a choice of 32-bit/64-bit when I installed VM Box but I might have missed it. I just deleted the current VM and started over. When it asks what version of operating system in the "Create Virtual Machine" it doesn't offer any 64-bit operating systems. I assume that is because of no VT-x. So how do I get VT-x back?

Art
Attachments
VM mngr.png
VM mngr.png (60.83 KiB) Viewed 21700 times
Art

Postby mpack » 20. May 2014, 00:36

This has nothing to do with VirtualBox install options. It has to do with a particular recipe you are trying to use for a VM, and whether your host has the required ingredients.

I'm afraid I'm not a Win8 user, so I'm not in a position to give you Windows or Hyper-v tuition. Perhaps you should consider Google for that.
mpack
Site Moderator

Postby Art » 20. May 2014, 17:52

Problem solved! I can't believe I was so dense about how to get Hyper-V turned off. I'd never used Windows feature before. I guess now I can keep my "K" processor as I write, this Windows 8 64-bit) is booting up in a virtual machine. Now I get to download all the updates and then upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro.

Thanks everybody for your help. Now that I've got a vm running I'll probably get a lot of offers to swap processors but I'm keeping the "K" version.

Thanks again, all.
Art
Art

Return to VirtualBox on Windows Hosts