VirtualBox no connection on Windows 8.1 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
vbox-user-42-42

Re: VirtualBox no connection on Windows 8.1 host

Post by vbox-user-42-42 »

This bug affects me as well.

I just installed virtualbox-4.3_4.3.12-93733~Ubuntu~raring_amd64.deb on a fresh installation of xubuntu 14.04. Same thing here: checking for updates results in the same error message.
Network within my virtual machines seems to work.
mosaic

Post by mosaic »

I'm getting the exact same behavior when I use "Check for Updates..." under Help on the VM VirtualBox Manager:
The network operation failed with the following error: Unknown reason.

The Host is operating normally and has Internet access.
Two guests (32 bit XP and 32 bit 2003 server) are operating normally with Internet access.

VirtualBox: 4.3.12 r93733
Running on Host Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter 64 bit (on an Amazon EC2 instance).
jelockwood
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Mac OS X

Post by jelockwood »

I have had this same update problem now in the last several versions of VirtualBox on Mac hosts. Originally I thought it was a single Mac host at fault due to a bad file or setting or a bad single version or our network setup. Clearly from reports here it is an endemic problem to all Virtualbox versions or at least recent-ish ones.

Looks like either Oracle have broken the server the update code is trying to check with, or broken the update code in all the recent/current versions and this has now been a problem for at least two months.

For what its worth although it seems clearly not to be the cause, all three of my so far tested Macs have been running various version of Mavericks. Here's hoping Oracle have seen this thread and will get their ass in to gear and fix it.
bl184999

Post by bl184999 »

Looks like a ticket has been opened.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13096
ranald

Post by ranald »

I am having the same issue with 4.3.12 r93733 on Windows 7 Ult. x64 SP1 (build 7601). Same message when I try update. Also, "There are no active network operations" with Network Operations Manager. Have uninstalled/reinstalled (run as administrator) several times. When exit VirtualBox, following message gets written into the log file: Watcher ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_ACCESSDENIED (0x80070005) aIID={fafa4e17-1ee2-4905-a10e-fe7c18bf5554} aComponent={VirtualBox} aText={The object is not ready}, preserve=false
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Same error for me after installing VirtualBox 4.3.12 r93733 yesterday on Windows 8.1. My wireless connection works but I have other symptoms not mentioned by anyone else:

a) There is a new (permanent) entry in the charms bar labelled "Unidentified network" with "Limited" status below it - this information doesn't change whether ONline or OFFline (Airplane mode).

b) When ONline the network status bar icon is the usual normal five ascending bars, but if I hover over it the tooltip is "Unidentified network" with "No Internet access" below.

c) When OFFline the status bar icon has changed since VirtualBox, I can't remember the original icon but this is definitely different and has an exclamation mark with the same tooltip described in b).

From a (complete) layman point of view it seems VirtualBox has "taken over" the status bar icon when OFFline - is it looking for a "wired" connection?

I had to remap my VPN connection today. It's the first time I've had to that since setting it up three months ago on this new laptop, but even so, I can't be "absolutely" certain that VirtualBox is responsible.

I have the same error in the log file previously given ranald on 17 Jun 2014:
Watcher ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_ACCESSDENIED (0x80070005) aIID={fafa4e17-1ee2-4905-a10e-fe7c18bf5554} aComponent={VirtualBox} aText={The object is not ready}, preserve=false
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Maggie,
You do NOT have the same problem as the previous reports. Those were about VirtualBox being unable to check for updates from the VirtualBox server and it has been already fixed (check https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13096). You have something totally different. Please open a new thread (and if a moderator sees that, could you please lock the thread because the issue has been resolved?).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

socratis

I'm so sorry. I tried to "Check for updates" and the message box was the same as others, but I didn't read the log error carefully.

I'll start another thread, my apologies,
Maggie
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Thread locked, as it discussed a temporary problem, since fixed.