Using virtual disks from old PC

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tomt

Using virtual disks from old PC

Post by tomt »

Hi
I was running some virtual PC's on Windows 8.1. My PC died but I managed to save the 'VirtualBox VMs' folder.

I've re installed 8.1 Pro and installed Virtual Box.
I've made a new VPC and told it to use one of my rescued VM disks, but it fails to boot.

The guest is openSUSE 12.3, I think I've got all the settings the same but I'm not sure.
It starts to boot and then I get a black screen and thats it..

Any idea how I can get this to work ?? I do have access to a image of my old C: so can copy any files I need.

Thanks
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Using virtual disks from old PC

Post by loukingjr »

OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
tomt

Post by tomt »

Thanks I've followed that post and added the vbox, but it is very, very slow and never actually completes the bootup.
I just get a black screen.

Any ideas ? I may have been running on a slightly older version, than I'm on now.
Also when I start the VM's I get the following error :

Error ID: HostAudioNotResponding
Severity: Warning

Never had this before any they booted really fast. It's the same PC just with a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Pro.

Thanks
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

it's hard to say without more info such as a vbox.log file for the guest. It could be a million things without any info.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
tomt

Post by tomt »

Hi

Think I may have found it... I have hyper-v running on boot up.
I've disabled it and will test again tomorrow..

Once I know for certain I'll post back.

Thanks
Small_Potato
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Post by Small_Potato »

Subject: Moving a VM

VirtualBox v4.0.0 and later

I have VirtualBox v4.1.2 and recently moved a (WinXP) VM on a newer Windows host platform from a disk partition to another one. I like to share couple workarounds with other VirtualBox users who may come across the same problems as I did.

1. When I tried to clone a good (runnable) VM from an existing VM folder to a new "File | Preferences | General | Default Machine Folder", the cloning could not be completed. After some troubleshooting, I found the 8GB "WinXP VM Startup Disk" file did not have any file extension. VM VirtualBox Manager can start the VM but cannot clone it.

The solution that I used was to simply bring up a Command Prompt in Windows and use the "rename" DOS command to add a .vmdk file extension to it, "WinXP VM Startup Disk.vmdk".

2. After that I still ran into a second problem in cloning it that is "Cannot register the hard disk 'B:\...\WinXP VM Startup Disk.vmdk' {30...-...-...6f9b} because a hard disk 'A:\...\WinXP VM Startup Disk' with UUID {30...-...-...6f9b} already exists."

I tried several things, include shutting down VirtualBox entirely, waited several seconds, then running the GUI again, and the other suggestions like running "VBoxManage.exe internalcommands setvdiuuid "C:\path\to\new\vdi"", but none worked in my situation.

Finally, the solution that I used was to simply edit the "WinXP VM.vbox" using Notepad, a text editor. In the text editor, I searched for "6f9b", the last few digits in the UUID, and replaced a digit of it, like from "6f9b" to "6f9a". Saved the VM's VBOX file and exit from the test editor.

After making the above two changes, I just followed the instructions on viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55003. and then everything worked smoothly. :D
tomt

Post by tomt »

My issue turned out to be hyper-v
As soon as I disabled it my virtual PC's are running fine.