Puppet Tutorial VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bigboy

Puppet Tutorial VM

Post by Bigboy »

Puppet Labs offer a very convenient downloadable VM tutorial here:

http://docs.puppetlabs.com/learning/

intended to facilitate Puppet beginners learning their splendid open source configuration product.

My problem is I've yet to get it to work. The virtualbox initially shows a "Centos 6.4" stripe along the bottom
of the screen as it boots but then the VM seems to hang with the screen as shown. I've followed the
directions as shown on the above web page but with no luck so far.

I'm running version 4.3.10 r93012 of Virtualbox on a Windows XP SP2 machine
Processor is a 2.4 GHz Intel with 2GB of ram (Dell PC).

Anybody had a similar problem or know of a solution?

Best regards

Martin Langley
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Puppet Tutorial VM

Post by mpack »

Bigboy

Post by Bigboy »

Please find attach log and xml files. It may be of significance that the software has been installed with the executable
on the E:drive to allow for disk space issues.
Attachments
VirtualBox.xml
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
VBoxSVC.log
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

What made you think that putting the executables on an unusual drive changes where data is stored? That hasn't been an expectation of significant software since the last century.

In fact it's clear from your VirtualBox.xml that your VMs (i.e. all your bulky data) is still being stored on the C drive. If you wanted to change that then the correct way was to install VirtualBox normally, then change File|Preferences|Default Machine Folder before creating any VMs. To move a VM that already exists please see Howto: Move a VM.

Incidentally, neither of the files you posted is the VM log. Instructions were in the link I gave you, but briefly: right click VM in GUI, select "Show Log". Logs for the 4 most recent sessions is shown. Pick one, compress it and post it.
Bigboy

Post by Bigboy »

Excellent, really appreciate your help.

In order to simplify matters I've deleted the entire Virtualbox directory structure and started again. Executable is on the E: drive as before. All that I have done is to import the training package one time and try and run it. As before the screen shows Centos 6.5 booting and then hangs with a flashing cursor. There is activity on the "disk" icon and processor usage is
90% +.

Attached is compressed file as requested.

Cheers

ML
Attachments
VM.rar
(14.67 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Since I don't know the competence of the person who made that readymade VM, or even that it ever worked in VirtualBox - I suggest that you install the CentOS OS yourself, get that working with the GAs and extension pack, and then install PE.

Be warned that your CPU does not support 64bit VMs, so it'll need to be a 32bit release of CentOS.
Bigboy

Post by Bigboy »

I'll happily have a crack at this but the guys at the Puppet forum say the VM works fine on a Mac host:

https://ask.puppetlabs.com/question/617 ... torial-vm/. If true it would indicate no problem
with the VM

Cheers

ML
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Actually the VM installed and runs fine. One needs to read the included .pdf file to make a couple changes to the vm settings before it's started. I noticed one thing, I had an improper settings message which turned out to be too little vram set 8MB, but it is a console program so I'm not sure why. I bumped it up a little and the settings warning went away.

As I side note, after I had it up and running and then stopped. I selected the machine in VirtualBox, selected remove, delete all files, but the machine wasn't deleted from the VMs folder.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.