How to enable virtualization on AMD processor

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fmedina2

How to enable virtualization on AMD processor

Post by fmedina2 »

Hey guys, trying to run an Ubuntu virtualbox but I am not able to dedicate more than one CPU core to it which of course is causing performance issues. I am running an FX-6300 which I have confirmed is compatible with virtualization, however there is nowhere in the BIOS where I can enable it. Have checked in Advanced - CPU configuration as well as northbridge. Running this on an ASUS M5A97 motherboard.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to enable virtualization on AMD processor

Post by mpack »

First, there is no "of course" about single core causing performance issues. Adding cores only helps performance if the application(s) you run inside the guest are designed to use multiple cores, and assuming that doing do doesn't starve any host app of CPU.

You need to enable AMD-v to assign multiple cores to a VM, but AFAIK the GUI should automatically take care of this when you try. You say you are "not able". Please expand on this.
fmedina2

Post by fmedina2 »

I am running at 100% CPU utilization when running my virtualbox. There is no option in my bios to enable AMD-V. When checking my CPU in the resource monitor, it says Virtualization: Dsiabled.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Then you need to find out how to enable AMD-v in your PC's BIOS. The manufacturer or the user manual should be good places to look. Or, if you know how to get into the BIOS setup during boot, you can usually find the "Virtualization Support" option tucked away in a subsection.

If you are correct that it isn't there then there's nothing we can do about it. The feature is required for what you want to do.
fmedina2

Post by fmedina2 »

I have went through the BIOS with a fine tooth comb for over 30 minutes and found nothing even referring to any kind of virtualization. How can this not be an option when my CPU does support it?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That's a subject you need to take up with the PC manufacturer.
fmedina2

Post by fmedina2 »

My manual says that I enable SVM through the CPU configuration. However I only see the options Core C6 State, HPC Mode, and APM master mode. The manual says that the options may differ on what CPU you have. I have confirmed that this CPU does support virtualization. Should I contact Asus in this case then?