USB not working reliably on Windows host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
OllyLi

USB not working reliably on Windows host

Post by OllyLi »

I have been a user of VirtualBox for years, but there is one thing I have never figured out, that is how to make USB devices work reliably on Windows host.
The host could be any version of Windows, I personally had the same problem on XP/7/8.
The problem is if I unplug/insert the USB device several times, I got error (the error message is at the end of this post) and I have to reboot the whole system (including host PC) to recover. I have also used VirtualBox on OSX host before and I had never have this problem.

Anyone has suggestion? This is the single blocking issue that forced me to use VMware instead of VirtualBox sometime.

More details: I do know how to setup the filters etc. And you probably can see in my post that the USB does work for me. It just doesn't work stably every time I plug in the USB device. And once this problem happens, I have to restart the whole system, which is very annoying.

The error message looks like this:
Failed to attach the USB device LG Electronics Inc. LGE Android Phone [0232] to the virtual machine XUbuntu.

USB device 'LG Electronics Inc. LGE Android Phone' with UUID {786e5773-c3b6-40d8-89e4-83f026979a10} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDevice
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB not working reliably on Windows host

Post by socratis »

1) When that happens does it happen for each and every USB devices?
2) How do you remove the device? Do you simply unplug the cord or are you "releasing" it first?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
OllyLi

Post by OllyLi »

socratis wrote:1) When that happens does it happen for each and every USB devices?
2) How do you remove the device? Do you simply unplug the cord or are you "releasing" it first?
1) Yes. When it happens, the whole USB support stopped working.
2) It happens to both scenarios.
tonx

Post by tonx »

Is there a solution to this USB issues?

My problem is that:
USB drive / memory stick will not work (i need to reboot the host to get it back to working).
However, my usb keyboard & mouse are working properly.

I've installed virtualbox guest addition thinking that this is the problem but it doesnt help at all.