M3800 - Win8.1 - Vbox 6.3 - Touchscreen keeps disconnecting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Teg

M3800 - Win8.1 - Vbox 6.3 - Touchscreen keeps disconnecting

Post by Teg »

I have installed Win8.1 on VitualBox 6.3.10 on a new Dell M3800 that has a touch screen. When I boot up Win8.1 via Vbox, I can click items by touching the screen. But left and right screen swipes do not work. If I go to [Devices][USB Devices] and select [Synaptics Large Touchscreen], I hear a chime and then I can perform a screen swipe from the right to bring up the Charm bar or a screen swipe from the left to show a list of running application. The problem is that after touching the screen a few times, I hear a different chime and the swipes stop working. If I go back to [Devices][USB Devices], the [Synaptics Large Touchscreen] option no longer has a check mark next to it. If I reselect it, I hear the chime again, the check mark returns, and swipes work again. But a few touches to the screen later and it disconnects.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Teg
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: M3800 - Win8.1 - Vbox 6.3 - Touchscreen keeps disconnect

Post by socratis »

I believe you shouldn't do it via USB filters. You should try to change the Pointing Device, via VM Settings, System, Motherboard, Pointing Device: USB Multi-Touch Tablet. And disable the USB filter. I'm not sure if this is going to work or not, but it's worth giving it a go.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Teg

Re: M3800 - Win8.1 - Vbox 6.3 - Touchscreen keeps disconnect

Post by Teg »

Switching the pointing device to Multi-Touch Tablet fixed the problem. It is now working as expected.

Thanks,
Teg