ExtPack Install Failure

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
EricMCSE76
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu 20, Windows 3.1

Re: ExtPack Install Failure

Post by EricMCSE76 »

Yes, sorry - I should have mentioned that the manual un-zip workaround worked... just wanted to provide another case of it not working on a different O/S (prior one was Windows 7, mine is Windows 8.1) It's definitely something with the VirtualBox installation.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

EricMCSE76 wrote:It's definitely something with the VirtualBox installation.
How did you arrive at this certainty? How does VirtualBox cause an unrelated archiving tool to give you a permissions error? Do you have write permission in any other part of the "Program Files" tree?
EricMCSE76
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu 20, Windows 3.1

Post by EricMCSE76 »

Sure do. I confirmed administrators has full control on the full program files directory structure. I also explicitly added my user account (which is a member of administrators) with explicit full control to the oracle directory and all directories below it. Winrar had no problem extracting the files to that extensions folder or creating the sub folder. The installer itself actually creates a folder in that directory but then fails when it attempts to do the rename piece. I will play with it over the weekend some more and run filemon on that directory while running the install and see what it's thinking it is doing. Doesn't make sense. And, as mentioned, every other version of the extension pack prior to the current worked without issue on the same system which has been running for approx 1 year now. So - something has changed.
Maryam Goli

Post by Maryam Goli »

Hi everyone

I had the same problem Just I tried to change security permission for folder "Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks" after first try to install Extpack for windows user that I have already logged in to full control and then I tried again it was success.
I hope it works for you too.
marcnz

Post by marcnz »

I am on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit host.

I downloaded Virtualbox 5.0.1 and installed it.

I also downloaded the corresponding extensions pack that match this version.

When trying to add the extensions pack in VBox settings, I had the same problem as mentioned in this thread.

I followed the suggestion to change the name to .tgz and unpack in the extension directory. I first deleted all directories in this main folder, then created the required directory and with 7-zip I had to unzip the file twice as the first time it created a .tar file, still being an archive. After the second unzip, I copied everything in the main extensions folder.

Restarted the VBox application and still could not "see" my extensions pack in settings!

I had to change the security on the main extensions folder to give "full" permission to basically all users, creator (which had none), trusted installer, administrators (although I am in that group on my own computer!) and I also added my own username and give full permission to myself as a user as well!

Please don't tell me this is not a VirtualBox issue! it is one as it is not made by default to be able to run smoothly after it has been installed!

I am very happy to have found this suggestion and that this application is free. I really thanks all the developers and Oracle to produce such a great free virtualization alternative.

However, this does not mean that something could not be looked in much deeper at the development level and set some actions in place to fix any permissions issues.

Thank you very much for the solution provided in this thread.
sailnfool

Post by sailnfool »

As noted in another post, the simpler solution (at least for me) to the same errors was to turn off the McAfee Real Time Scanning.