Attempting an Android guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Attempting an Android guest

Post by mpack »

No, Flash for Android is designed for ARM and sometimes for specific graphics chipsets in specific Android devices. It won't work on Android x86. ISTR Adobe Air doesn't work either.
MykRian

Post by MykRian »

jorgensen wrote:You need to have "absolute pointing" disabled - or Disable Mouse Integration (Host-I)
Click inside the guest window will then capture the mouse, and the host key will release the mouse from the WM.
Host-H will shut down the guest.
Host-I worked. Thank you.
dhdurgee

Post by dhdurgee »

I have installed android 4.3 from the iso in virtualbox 4.2.24 and am able to run it with the known limitations. Am I the first to notice that hitting Left_Alt and Left_Arrow simultaneously gives access to the root terminal window? I tried to take advantage of this to install the linux guest additions, but am not getting very far.

First, I found that it appears that the virtual CD-ROMs are not supported by the linux running under android 4.3, as I never see it. I found that USB drives are available via /mnt/USBx, so I copied autorun.sh, runasroot.sh and VBoxLinuxAdditions.run to a USB drive and attempted to run it from there.

Attempting to run autorun.sh tells me to try running manually. Trying to run VBoxLinuxAdditions.run directly first complained about the lack of "/tmp" and suggested I add a --target, when I did so it then complained about not being able to find cksum even though md5sum is available.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work? Will it, as I hope, enable proper mouse/keyboard integration if I can get it installed?

Dave