Windows XP on Virtual Box with Vista

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Flame_Phoenix

Windows XP on Virtual Box with Vista

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

Hi guys, I am very new to this VM world and I would like to larn more stuff about it. However i can't find tutorials for my questions, so I have to ask them here. I have two questions:
1 - I ant to use a shared folder with my VM XP, how do i do it ?
2 - the size of my virtual XP screen is just too small ... and i can configure it... is there a way out ?

Please answer fast this questions =S
over_clox
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.04, Legacy Testing

Post by over_clox »

Install the guest additions from the VM's Devices menu to install drivers for video and such. I prefer just using Windows File Sharing because VBox's Shared Folders still has a number of known issues. The user manual should cover most anything you need to know to get it all running right. Good luck with your VM, and I'm sure you'll like using VBox (but don't expect 3D hardware acceleration, that just isn't going to happen anytime soon in any virtualization environment).
Flame_Phoenix

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

Where an I download that VirtualBox Guest Edition program ??
Is it an expansion or will I have to re-install everything again =S
over_clox
Volunteer

Post by over_clox »

The guest additions come with VBox. Like I said, they're under the Devices menu of the machine. You just install them after you've installed Windows instead of downloading separate drivers like a real PC. It's all in the manual, so read it.
Flame_Phoenix

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

I can find the guest edition when i go to the Machine menu =S
Cann some1 please post a screen shot ? I am kinda noob with this things =S
over_clox
Volunteer

Post by over_clox »

Well, my bad, maybe I should have specified the Machine menu within the virtual machine window itself, not the VirtualBox main GUI. If you're running in fullscreen, hit Host+Home (Host key default is right ctrl). Still, it seems you should read the literature that came with VirtualBox. The forums are meant for issues not covered in the manual.