administrator password?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
atlantis43

administrator password?

Post by atlantis43 »

I'm trying to install VB as per instructions given for an online course in C programming. I'm told to sign in as "administrator", but VB won't allow signing on without password. This conflicts with the instructions I was provided.
I'm using WinXP 32.
Any way of getting the password?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: administrator password?

Post by mpack »

? VirtualBox has no password.

You need full admin rights to install VirtualBox, but that is quite different from installing it in an "Admin" account. The latter is just an account name for an account that happens to have permanent admin rights. But, unless you want to only be able to run VBox when using that user account, then you really don't want to install it that way.

What you should do is right click the installer exe and select "Run as administrator". That elevates your own user privileges temporarily, allowing you to install device drivers etc.

If you're saying that you've lost the password for an existing XP guest then no, there's no way to retrieve it that I know of. That is an XP question btw - the nature of the PC that XP is installed on is not relevant to this issue.
atlantis43

Post by atlantis43 »

But when I 'right click', a window opens giving a choice of running as 'user' or 'administrator', and if I check 'administrator', I get errmsg that says:
"Logon failure:user account restrictions. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restriction, or a policy restriction has been enforced."
Makes no sense, n'est ce pas?
Last edited by atlantis43 on 28. Oct 2013, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
jorgensen
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Are you provided with a VDI file, that is to be implemented as a Virtualbox guest, or are you to log into a remote Virtualbox session via Remote Desktop, or something completely different?
atlantis43

Post by atlantis43 »

Note that I just edited my last post to show the errmsg received. I don't know what a VDI file is, so I can't really answer your question.
All that I can tell you is that I was able to download VB successfully a few days ago, and install the VM appliance that I have (Fedora based----provided by an online course), and it worked properly for about 1 day, and then crashed. (I don't think I was able, even then, to install as 'administrator').
I removed it from my pc, and tried to re-install, and it fails every time with the above errmsg.
atlantis43

Post by atlantis43 »

I understand what you're saying, but the installation instructions that I received from my course are explicit in stating that VB should be installed as "administrator".

Mod note: sorry, I accidentally used my moderatorial superpowers to edit your message when I meant to simply reply to it. Hopefully I've kept the gist of what you said.
jorgensen
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

I understand you downloaded a WM package that it to be run by Virtualbox, and the XP security file system has obvious been screwed up by that.
The easiest way to get Virtualbox up and running again is to uninstall Virtualbox, create a new XP user account with administrator rights and install Virtualbox again for that user. Remember to check that the location of the VM package has full user access.
Otherwise you need to check XPs security file system for your user account, and should Google it for a how-to, as it has nothing to do with Virtualbox.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

atlantis43 wrote:I understand what you're saying, but the installation instructions that I received from my course are explicit in stating that VB should be installed as "administrator"
Well of course, but that's quite different from saying that you need to be logged in as the user account which happens to be called "Admin" or "Administrator". Your course notes are telling you the same thing that I am: use "Run as administrator". Note however that you do need to know an admin level password for that to work, for help on that you should ask whoever configured your laptop for you.
atlantis43

Post by atlantis43 »

jorgensen wrote: The easiest way to get Virtualbox up and running again is to uninstall Virtualbox, create a new XP user account with administrator rights and install Virtualbox again for that user. Remember to check that the location of the VM package has full user access.
Otherwise you need to check XPs security file system for your user account, and should Google it for a how-to, as it has nothing to do with Virtualbox.

SUDDENLY SEEMED TO FIX ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to all for the attempted help.
Jarerd
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: ubunt

Post by Jarerd »

When I lost my Windows XP admin password and locked out computer, I got Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0 to help me remove admin password easily!
atlantis43

Post by atlantis43 »

just to note that I don't have my win OS pasword-protected. I'm a sole home user, non-networked. So shouldn't a blank password entry suffice to ensure "administrator privilages"?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox has no passwords, that was the very first thing I said to you. So if you're seeing a password prompt it isn't from VirtualBox. If you think it's coming from your guest (and not your host), and the instructions you have don't seem to cover it then you'll need to take that up with whoever gave it to you.