4.3 still breaks ALL USB windows host again

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
FıratBilir

Re: 4.3 still breaks ALL USB windows host again

Post by FıratBilir »

Still same in 4.3.12. I guess the developers will never solve this problem, therefore every time after installing new version of Virtualbox, I am installing 4.2.16 USB driver immediately.
R23

Post by R23 »

No USB's worked for me either on 4.3.12. I uninstalled and downgraded to 4.2.16.

I really needed this VM with USB access urgently. Can't believe this has been a known issue for nearly a year and it hasn't been fixed.
aliljet

Post by aliljet »

Just wanted to quickly chime in as well. I've got a Win7 (64 bit) Host running VirtualBox VM 4.3.12 r93733 win.amd64. I am attempting to get USB devices to show up on a Win7 (32 bit) guest. Here's what happens:

1. USB device shows up on host machine and is functional inside host machine. In this case, I see a USB Serial Converter device that has an FTDI driver associated with it. (I've tested this with mulitple USB devices, but I'll use my USB Serial Converter device as an example.)
2. I then start VirtualBox and start the VM guest. In that guest, I've put in a filter that grabs this USB Serial Converter from the host. To be clear, I've done this without the filter, with broader filters, etc, etc. Either way, VirtualBox is finding the device correctly.
3. When the VM is starting, the device in the host (the USB Serial Converter) disappears and a VirtualBox USB device shows up.
4. Inside the Guest, I navigate over to the computer management console to view the device manager and I don't see the USB Serial Converter. And I certainly don't see the virtual com that the USB Serial Converter generates -- the driver is installed on that machine for that to happen, but the USB device itself is not showing.
5. I then check the VirtualBox menu and hover over the USB device in question (FTDI FT230X Basic UART [1000]) and I see that VirtualBox shows me the device is "Captured" -- but I certainly don't see the device as attached.

Unfortunately, I've tried every interesting version of this that I could, but I've had little luck in getting any USB related stuff to work. Have there been any workarounds for this problem yet? Is this an actual bug? Looking over the list of bugs, I don't actually see this kind of problem mentioned directly, but I may not have searched quite hard enough.

Otherwise, VirtualBox rocks. If there's a strategy I can use to help the devs/engineers/etc., let me know and I'd gladly oblige.
aliljet

Post by aliljet »

Quick updated. I solved this by downgrading both the main virtualbox installation and the extensions to 4.2.16. Definitely seems like a problem between 4.2.16 and 4.3.12 (as of this moment).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

aliljet wrote:If there's a strategy I can use to help the devs/engineers/etc., let me know and I'd gladly oblige.
Definitely seems like a problem between 4.2.16 and 4.3.12 (as of this moment).
First of all, congratulations for your I-want-to-help attitude! Now, if (from what it seems) you've found a regression. Could you post the logs from your 4.2.16 and 4.3.12 sessions so we can compare them? After successfully having 4.2.16 work, did you try to reinstall 4.3.12?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wayne.zhang

Post by wayne.zhang »

Could you post the logs from your 4.2.16 and 4.3.12 sessions so we can compare them?
Hi Socratis,
Are you a VirtualBox developer/contributor? There is a bug related to this issue:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11251

and nobody owns it. Is it possible that you let sombody to take look at this bug report? There are VB logs attched on it.

Thanks!
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

For those who said that this is a 4.2.18 regression, here is a test build which reverts a change we did in 4.2.18. It would help to see if this makes any difference for affected users.
Gisel

Post by Gisel »

I'm having the same problem, and while 4.3.13 seems to change sometthing, it didn't fix the problem for me.

Hardware/software involved:
  • Host: Windows 7 64 bit, all updates installed
  • Guest: freshly installed Windows XP 32, with SP3, no other software/updates installed
  • VirtualBox 4.3.12+VBoxAdditions 4.3.12 on the host, Guest Extensions 4.3.12 on the guest
Original install: 4.3.12:

When i assign my printer OR my sd card reader to the guest, the guest display freezes. I can still shut down the guest by using "ACPI Shutdown" from the virtualbox manager menu (not from the guest display menu). When i do that, the guest display doesn't change, but the small guest window preview in the virtualbox manager turns black and says "XP" (my vbox name) like it should on shutdown.

Tried 4.3.13:
  • rebooted the host
  • installed 4.3.13 on the host, which seems to have included the extpack
  • started the guest
  • installed the 4.3.13 guest additions on the guest
Now, nothing froze, so i was able to assign the printer and the SD card reader to the guest. However, the guest didn't recognize either as a valid device. The attached picture shows what happened (german version of windows. The error message says "A USB device on this computer does not work correctly and isn't recognized", the two device entries say "unknown device", the other messages are "unused connector".)

Tried 4.2.16:
  • shut down the guest
  • rebooted the host
  • deinstalled 4.3.13 from the host (had some problems with the deinstaller, ended up deleting the virtualbox directory and all registry entries manually)
  • rebooted the host
  • installed 4.2.16 + extpack on the host
  • started the guest
  • deinstalled the 4.3.13 vbox additions from the guest
  • rebooted the guest
  • installed 4.2.16 additions on the guest
  • rebooted the guest
This time, i was able to assign the printer and the sd card reader to the guest, and both where recognized correctly.

I attached the screenshot of the error message with 4.3.13, and the Vbox.log files from all 3 versions.

Edit: Trying the same guest witk a linux host:

Today (2014-06-07), i installed Vbox 4.3.12 on a linux host (Intel CPU, 64 bit Centos 5.10 with all updates) and copied the original snapshot of the guest (the one that has the 4.3.12 vbox additions, without all the reinstalls i described above) to it. Result: No crashes, no hangups, USB devices work just as they should. So, the problem seems to be the host, not the guest, if that helps in any way.
Attachments
VB Logs.zip
Log files from VBox 4.2.16, 4.3.12, and 4.3.13.
(54.55 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Error message in 4.3.13 after attaching 2 USB devices to the guest.
Error message in 4.3.13 after attaching 2 USB devices to the guest.
unknowndevice.jpg (114.09 KiB) Viewed 9894 times
Last edited by Gisel on 7. Jun 2014, 13:16, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

wayne.zhang wrote:Hi Socratis, Are you a VirtualBox developer/contributor?
I wish I was! These guys/gals are way smarter than I am ;). I'm just an enthusiast volunteer that tries to lighten their burden. As far as your question about the ticket, there are a lot of them unassigned, so I wouldn't worry about it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ano

Post by Ano »

Tested with this version 4.3.13 on a Windows 7 64 bit host and Windows 7 32 bit guest , I can connect USB without any problems.
Did not work with version 4.3.12 but did function with 4.2.16.

For me it looks like problem is solved with this test build.

Extra info: Tested with some printers and memory sticks but with these I most conclude I have the same results as Gisel so problems are still not fully fixed!
pavel9

Post by pavel9 »

Hello to all.
I'm working on Linux Mint Qiana 64-bit as hosts and Xp Home Sp3 32bit as Guest, VirtualBox 4.3.12;
I had the same problem but i solved it with:

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER
log off, log on and try again.
I hope it will be useful to someone
GetDownload

Post by GetDownload »

The 4.3.13 test build posted by Frank Mehnert solved the problems I was having with my USB Smart Card reader.
DD1369

Post by DD1369 »

Any chance someone could re-post the 4.3.13 test build...or do I have to revert to 4.2.16?
Ice

Post by Ice »

I also have this bug and "solved" it by downgrading to 4.2.16.
And I also would like to get that experimental version 4.3.x! :)

How are the chages this bug will be solved in an upcoming official release?

Thanks!
wayne.zhang

Post by wayne.zhang »

socratis wrote:
wayne.zhang wrote:Hi Socratis, Are you a VirtualBox developer/contributor?
I wish I was! These guys/gals are way smarter than I am ;). I'm just an enthusiast volunteer that tries to lighten their burden. As far as your question about the ticket, there are a lot of them unassigned, so I wouldn't worry about it...
Thanks socratis!

Glad to see there are some progress on fixing this issue now. :P Hope It will be fixed in the next release!