will host only networking allow two way traffic?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gaurav_verma22

will host only networking allow two way traffic?

Post by gaurav_verma22 »

Gurus, will host only networking allow two way traffic between the host and VM? I need to make two VMs talk to each other, which can be done using private network, BUT I also need internet access. How can I do this?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

You can set up Internal Networking for the communication of the VMs with each other. Set up NAT for internet. NAT is the safest bet, as wireless cannot be bridged. If you use lan, then it's ok to bridge them (Host Interface), but keep in mind that even though the VMs can communicate with each other if you set it right (it's in the manual very clear, but some can even screw that up), you won't get the best performance between the VMs directly. I don't know the speed it will have, but I know I would use Internal anyway. Make sure, that if you keep with the Internal Networking, that you set in the host file to use the Internal Networking IP address of the other VM. Best to use a completely different IP address for Internal (i.e. different network class), so you know which one is which ;).

Good luck.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.