Can't connect to network with WinNT Server Guest VM? Ideas?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mduarte

Can't connect to network with WinNT Server Guest VM? Ideas?

Post by mduarte »

Hi Folks,

I just installed a Win NT 4 Server as a VM. All went very well except for ont thing. It is not able to see the network. It uses the NAT setting. However, I just can;t see to connect. Is it because I don't have the controller that is specified as one of the driver. I installed this on an IBM X232 server and therefore it has an IBM NIC. Do I need to install the IBM NIC driver within the VM, or does it emulate a NIC? Any ideas would be appreciated?
over_clox
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.04, Legacy Testing

Post by over_clox »

You're not very likely to be able to see the network in NAT mode. That's just how it works (or doesn't). You should still be able to directly address a computer on the network by IP address, but this has had varying degrees of success too. PINGing a computer on the network doesn't work, period. It's basically meant to be a fairly secure channel to the internet.

See http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=5422 for more on NAT and the PING command.

No need to install the IBM drivers in the VM, just the guest additions.
mduarte

Post by mduarte »

What's the alternative if I want the VM Win NT server to be able to see the other computers within the physical network? If I disable NAT, what's the next best alternate for other systems on the network to see the VM as a physical entity on the network?
over_clox
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.04, Legacy Testing

Post by over_clox »

Use Host Interface mode. This will install a driver in the host system that emulates a real network card that you can (and will need to) bridge with your real ethernet controller. The details are outlined in the user manual.
mduarte

Post by mduarte »

Excellent! I'll try that out. Much appreciated for the suggestion.