write access to linux partition

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
prune

write access to linux partition

Post by prune »

Summary: what could block or disable it? (or could there be another problem?)

whole story:

On my new laptop, I cannot get it working. It used to work perfectly with vmplayer on the old laptop (windows xp), but on the new laptop, vmplayer refuses to start with a weird message, and virtualbox gets as far as "trying to remount root partition read-write".

Then, booting in single-user mode and remounting manually, reveals an endlessly repeated error message that seems to come out of the kernel, and that cannot be found with google in virtualbox/similar contexts. I might post it later.

Both laptops have windows xp and a linux partition. I created the .vmdk file with the help of the virtualbox tools, it looks similar to the old laptop's vmdk file and looks correct, there is RW under "Extent description" everywhere.

I tried virtualpc, it refuses to boot into a machine that accesses the local hard disk, and does other bad things, seems to be not an option.

The new pc has an antivirus software (disabled) and possibly other stuff, could something block write access to foreign partitions? or is there some setting deep down in the windows stuff? My user account is always in the Administrators group.